August 21, 2014

Law & Order actor considers running for president

by Anna Johns, posted Mar 13th 2007 9:27AM
fred thompsonActor and former republican U.S. Senator Fred Thompson is reportedly considering running for president in 2008. Thompson was a U.S. Senator for Tennessee from 1994-2003. He decided not to run for re-election when he was cast as District Attorney Arthur Branch on Law & Order in 2002. He has also appeared in that same role on SVU and Criminal Intent, as well as short-lived shows, Conviction and Trial by Jury. Thompson definitely has that "I could kick your ass, punk"-thing about him.

Thompson has an unusual past that will make him an interesting candidate. Besides appearing in a big ol' pile of television shows and movies, he also has some serious experience in Washington, D.C. Before becoming an actor or a Senator, he was an attorney and was on the Watergate committee. If he does join the race for president, he'll be running against fellow republicans Rudolph Giuliani and John McCain for the nomination. And, in 2005, he returned to politics briefly when President Bush appointed him to be an advisor for U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts during his confirmation process.

Hell. If Arnold Schwarzenegger can do it...

RSL

@ Paintist, Oh I was being facetious about Thompson the first time. 'Cause he's a Republican and all Republicans are evil, one-dimensional caricatures and all. But I was really talking about Branch's attitude though. I did get confused by what Gordy said. I thought he [sorry if you're a she, Gordy] was referring to the character somehow. I think I missed my meds. Another joke.

March 14 2007 at 7:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
paintist

@RSL

At first I thought you were being facetious but it seems now you aren't differentiating that the actor is running not the _character_ he plays. The politics of the actor are not always complimentary to the politics of his/her character.

It's like saying Mel Gibson is a revolutionary hero for fighting against English occupation in Scotland.

March 13 2007 at 6:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RSL

@ Gordy: I _was_ talking about the character and not the actor. [Mostly. wink wink] He constantly backs down from things he knows to be right just because he doesn't want to piss some constituency off. Surely I'm not the only one who seems him like that?

March 13 2007 at 2:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

I don't know much about his political record, but he would definitely have the face and name recognition factors on his side. No swipe to Thompson, but sadly that's often what many people use as a deciding factor for casting a vote.

March 13 2007 at 2:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Stick to your 1 minute a week acting job.

March 13 2007 at 1:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordy

Umm...RSL, surely you're not referring to the TV character? His name is Fred Thompson...and yes. As you said, "[You] can't speak about Thompson on this." Some of us knew of him long before L&O.

March 13 2007 at 12:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
VSJ

Well, Die Hard 4 is in post production - what happened Thompson was not invited back to reprise his role as Dulles Airport Control Tower supervisor?!

March 13 2007 at 12:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
thegoddesskiara

He was a Senator and a Lawyer and actually has experience in politics. Which makes him more qualified then our sitting president.

March 13 2007 at 12:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RSL

@ Gordy: Branch seems principled?!!?! [I can't speak about Thompson on this.] Have you ever _watched_ Law & Order? 'Cause Branch is _constantly_ making references to the fact that his decisions are heavily based on what the papers and populace say. While there's something to be said for having your finger on the pulse of the people, there's also something to be said for having principles and standing by them. Branch is the kind of politician who clears falls in the former camp and not the latter. I can only assume, because he's a Republican and they have no scruples, that Thompson isn't far from Branch on this. [Only half joking there, sweet kittens.]

March 13 2007 at 12:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordy

He seems principaled...not easily swayed. I like that in a politician. So many of them just go with the latest polls.

Time will tell.