December 20, 2014

Men change: Regis Philbin and Donald Trump

by Elizabeth Chan, posted Mar 13th 2007 3:08PM
regisWhen a man gets older and he finds himself vulnerable to mortality, and that which affects his heart and his mental health, there are no proper words to describe the fear and anticipation.

By now, the news has been announced that Regis will be leaving the show to undergo bypass surgery. Although you might have read articles about the situation, there really isn't anything like watching the exact moment he describes it. Something about the delicate nature and his soft spoken voice that reminds you of how fragile life is, it really tugs at your soul. No one ever wants to see anything bad happen to Regis.

On a completely opposite spectrum...

trumpWhen a man gets older, he feels the need to dye his infamous comb-over an odd looking platinum blond and get the inner wrestler out of his serious business side.

In this TV's Top 5! Moment, "The Battle of the Billionaires" contract had been signed on last night's RAW between Donald "Hulk Rules" Trump is ready to finally take on Vince "I Own Wrestling" McMahon in their much hyped match in Wrestlemania 23. Bringing the boardroom to the ring, conference room table, paperwork et al. McMahon does an impressive wrestling tumble that is usually reserved for men half his age, after Donald unconvincingly shoves him over.

Good god. I can't wait to watch Wrestlemania. I don't even like wrestling, but this seems to be good television.

Scott Schrantz

So if Don just went off on a five-minute rant against "white trash" last week, why would he be participating in this whole trashy Wrestlemania spectacle? Oh, because he's an attention whore? Got it.

March 14 2007 at 2:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott Schrantz

So if Don just went off on a five-minute rant against "white trash" last week, why would he be participating in Wrestlemania? Oh, because he's an attention whore? Got it.

March 14 2007 at 2:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Preston

I think that Donald Trump should have no business in the wrestling ring. How is he going to handle The Apprentice and being in Wrestlemania 23? He needs to get in that weight room and pump some muscles, because that how those wrestlers do it. He just wants to do this for publicity. Or maybe he just doesn't like Vince McMahon's complete arrogance.

March 14 2007 at 11:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

Elizabeth,

Maybe Donald just realized he's filthy rich and too old to give a damn what anyone thinks, so he's just saying, "to hell with it" and showing his ass. I mean, if I was in his place I might do the same thing, but probably not.

I'm not defending his actions, mostly because I don't give a rat's patootie about Donald or wrestling, but it was the first justification my addled brain could conjure.

March 13 2007 at 5:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elizabeth

I'm still wondering why "the Donald" would subject himself to such jackassery. I mean, I like wrestling and all, on the off chance there's absolutely nothing else on television and I feel the need to watch grown men prance about in leotards, and grown women prance around in, well, practically nothing. It's all very cartoony and fun if you like that sort of thing, but isn't Donald Trump supposed to be a serious business man? Can things really get that bad, Donald? Or maybe he was just looking for a creative way to show off a change of hairstyles? Lord knows Mr. McMahon isn't going to part with his wig anytime soon!

March 13 2007 at 5:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply