April 23, 2014

The reason I'm rooting for Studio 60

by Richard Keller, posted Mar 13th 2007 10:32AM

Here's rooting for Matt PerryIf you are avid readers of TV Squad you know that Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip is taking a little break. Okay, it may be taking a long break. All right, the next time we see it may be on the Brilliant But Cancelled website! Regardless of whether or not it returns to the NBC schedule (which is should, since it does have a full order) I am still rooting for the show. Not because of Aaron Sorkin, or the subject matter, or even for the walk-and-talks. I am rooting for Studio 60 to succeed due to one cast member . . . Sarah Paulson as Harriet Hayes.

Oh, wait a minute. That's for my 'The reason I'm NOT rooting for Studio 60' post. Who I meant to mention was Matt Perry as Matt Albie. Well, also Bradley Whitford as Danny Tripp, Amanda Peet as Jordan McDeere, D.L. Hughley as Simon Stiles, and pretty much everyone else on the cast except Harriet Hayes. But, mostly I'm rooting for Matt Perry.

That's because he's quite good in this role. So good that I stopped comparing Matt Albie to Chandler Bing right after the first episode. I was so used to seeing him as this guy who used humor to hide his insecurities that it was refreshing to see a more cynical, serious role for Perry. Oh, Matt Albie definitely has insecurities just like Chandler did, but he channels those feelings in other ways that seem just a bit more realistic than the quips that normally came out of Chandler's mouth.

Plus, he has excellent chemistry with Bradley Whitford. If you were a fan of Sorkin's previous endeavor, The West Wing, you saw a bit of the chemistry between these two stars when Perry had a guest stint on the show. They carried that charisma onto Studio 60 and it works extraordinarily well. It's like they have known each other for a long time, which is a sign of good acting and comfortable actors. When they're together I sit up and pay attention.

Really, I think there is a ton of great chemistry with all of the cast. Whitford and Peet are cute as a couple (although the beginning of their relationship was a bit creepy) and are two people you can root for. Whitford and Steven Weber as Jack Rudolph also work very well when they are together on the screen. I especially like Weber in his role because it is a total opposite of the character he played on Wings. Steven also has a nice connection with Amanda Peet in the scenes they have together. Even Timothy Busfield, who doesn't have much to say during these shows, gels with the rest of the cast.

So, what I'm trying to say is, for Matt and the cast's sake, I hope Studio 60 continues on the NBC schedule at least until the end of the season. If it doesn't then blame Harriet Hayes for the show's downfall, because everyone else is doing it.

Deb

To put it simply - it isn't a reality show - it is one of the best new shows out there - it needs to stay on and be given a chance. Some of these networks do not give these new shows a chance. Plus there are TOO many reality shows out there and not enough good TV on any more and if there is good TV they only last for a few weeks and then they are all RERUNS.

April 06 2007 at 2:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Deb

To be it simply it is not a reality show it is one of the best new shows out there and it needs to STAY. TOO

April 06 2007 at 2:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Deb

April 06 2007 at 2:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kathy murphy

I too loved the christmas show. Ilove the writing and the wryness of A.S . I hope the show continues>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 05 2007 at 12:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Suncho

Studio 60 is my favorite show!

Save Studio 60, Save The World!

March 22 2007 at 12:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sadie

I got really into this show after Bravo ran a marathon.. having the a chance to really watch the characters unnfold.(I'm a CSI Miami fan- I hated the conflict..) This is definately a show that would pick up steam in a better time slot....after all- it took "The West Wing" almost 2 full seasons to become a hit..I can't imagine with Sorkin's successful history that this show is dead!

March 21 2007 at 8:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammie

I am really floored by all the anti-Sarah Paulson talk! I think she's wonderful- I've liked her since her short-lived NBC series "Leap of Faith" ( a show that NBC never even gave a fighting chance to) I think she has great chemistry with Matthew Perry, and I can absolutely can believe that they were a couple at one time. The entire cast rocks, and yes, sometimes the show has been a little bumpy in the writing dept, but PLEASE, PLEASE...TV Gods: Continue the series at LEAST until the end of the season. And like someone earlier suggested- how about moving it to Friday or Saturday night? Believe it or not- there are intelligent TV watchers on these nights!

March 21 2007 at 11:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jacob Zalaznick

Truthfully, I thought Studio 60 wouldn't make it once the rumors started (which was only after 1 or 2 shows). I really like the show and I enjoy the quick dialogue and the wit that's involved with it. I was glad when they did away with the love story between Matt and Harriet, but I was even more elated once she got the shaft from the other guy (sorry I don't remember his name). I really hope they bring the show back, otherwise, my girlfriend is gonna be pissed that I'm watching wrestling between 10:00 and 11:00 on Mondays.

March 20 2007 at 10:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susan Blanks

I agree this is a great show; writing, acting & actor chemistry. The Christmas show was so beautiful. Sorry I didn't save them all. Hughley is a better actor than he is a comedic host. Hope it is salvaged!

March 14 2007 at 11:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sharron

One of the biggest problems with the show is there is too much on the canvas, and the storytelling is slowed down. Why they have the whole network storylines is beyond me (FCC, illiterate VP); it was supposed to be a backstage drama!

Which brings us to the suggestion of cutting it down to a half hour...the stupidest thing I've heard since I accidentaly had the TV on during Deal! I don't think there has ever been a half hour drama. I imagine what we would lose would be the funny, and while it's a drama, the humor is king. I'm not talking about the sketches, there is no room for them and it shouldn't be about that.

The other suggestion of including some mirroring of the real life Studio 60 problems; good suggestion, obviously you don't watch the show! There was the material about internet bloggers, there was the downturn in the ratings...Nothing has been too self-indulgent for Sorkin.

March 14 2007 at 4:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply