April 18, 2014

What About Brian: What About All That Glitters

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Mar 13th 2007 12:41PM

Brian (Barry Watson) and Stephanie (Stacy Keibler) share a kiss at her independent film premiere.

(S02E17) Something about this show... it's reaching right now. It had its footing, lost it, found it, and now it's back in some sort of weird TV limbo. It just feels like there's nothing of importance going on. Which is weird because I still enjoy the show a lot. Something was different here though. We've always known that this was a show about young people with relatively large amounts of money. That's kind of standard for ABC right now from Grey's Anatomy, to Brothers and Sisters, to the brand-new October Road. However, this was the first episode of What About Brian that really screamed, "Look at us, we're rich!" I'm not sure how I feel about that.

It was kind of depressing actually. Makes me want to go put my second degree in economics to use... well, not really. There were just a lot of little things that made me do a double-take at the TV screen. From the revelation that Ivy was a popular child star (total rip-off of the Robin Sparkles story on How I Met Your Mother) to Brian's glitzy date with Stephanie and her Hollywood premiere, it was non-stop with, "look at all the $$$."

There was one moment though, that really got me. Everyone was at Jimmy and Ivy's place and Dave commented that Adam must be jealous since his crib is so small... or something to that effect. Are you kidding me? We've seen Adam's place! It's huge, not to mention it's on a cliff with a deck that gets a great view of the sunrise every morning.

I guess my point is that, despite my love for this show, I don't want it to evolve this way. I won't watch it if it becomes a bunch of rich people complaining and that's what this episode largely felt like.

Moving on, I'm off the soap-box. There were a lot of really good things that happened too. Nice turn by Meredith "Queen of Lifetime Movies" Baxter as Deena's mother. Not that I'm against it, but did anyone else find it odd that she just happened to be a lesbian? That just came out of nowhere.

The progression of Deena and Dave has me happy though. It went from feeling forced to comfortable. However, now that the marriage is fixed (or is it?) and their daughter is doing well... what's next for them? Break-up again? Who knows, but I'm curious to see if Richard pops up again now that he and Dave had a bit of a scuffle in front of the school.

As far as Brian goes, the show seems to be less and less about him doesn't it? Everything that's been happening to him has been great and it no longer has that sense of urgency for him. His life is pretty good. Swank job at a video game publisher, making out with a movie star, and another babe (Laura) who can't stop thinking about him. Is there anything negative here?

Something big needs to happen before season's end though. I'm not sure what... off the top of my head? What if Marjorie reappeared yet again, only this time she's pregnant with Adam's baby? Eh, too predictable. What if we found out that Brian had been seeing her in secret? Nah... he's over her. Ironic, isn't it? She was the biggest problem with the show and now all I can do is think of solutions that involve her. That probably isn't a good thing.

Murphy

And why is her being a lesbian 'odd' as you put it? I dunno why most people assume anyone's gender based on the fact that they have children. Like she said, she had a revelation mid-life and maybe realized men weren't for her, but actually women. While it may not be 'common', it's life and it happens, and for everyone to scream OMGWTFBBQ, well that's just odd right there.

Anyway, wasn't a perfect episode, but it had it's highlights.

March 18 2007 at 11:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Beverly

I have to agree with you about it being an updated version of Melrose Place, which I did watch every season and hooked on it just like I am with this show.

It does have it's moments and can be confusing sometimes but I have to watch it everyweek. Plus, I like most of the actors. I was wondering why Jimmy and Ivy were so secretive. Maybe there is more behind them than we know. The popular child star threw me for a loop.

Till next time.

March 14 2007 at 3:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Teddy

I think you expect too much from this show. Although it takes itself much too seriously, "What About Brian" is basically an updated version of "Melrose Place" -- incredibly hot people dealing with "personal issues" when they actually live lives that anyone real person would kill for. (The obvious connection is even stronger now that they've in Tiffani Theissen as the Heather Locklear character.)

And your point about the houses is right on -- in today's L.A. market, Adam's house would be worth millions, Ivy's would be worth multi-millions, and even chronically underemployed videogame designer Dave's would be worth at least a mil.

Although the writers clearly want us to thing more is going on, you have to enjoy this show just for the glitz and the hotties or else give it up entirely.

March 13 2007 at 3:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tool

I'm glad that the show has moved away from its metrosexual origins of some guy with long hair jonesing for his BF's GF. That was a story arc, not the basis of a good show.

But you are right the show creatively continues to find its way and that is a bit confusing for its audience.

I'm afraid that this is the last season. This show has the makings for a hit with such a great and good-looking cast. But I don't think the producers have figured out what the show is about, and in this climate of instantaneous schedule removals, you've got to perform every week or you are gone.

March 13 2007 at 3:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply