Will forgotten lyrics lead to post-Idol depression?

by Jon Peter Lewis, posted Mar 14th 2007 1:23PM

Jon Peter LewisIn case you were wondering, I think the words were:

"As I look around
I see things remind me
Just to see you smile
Made my heart fill with joy
I'll still recall
All those dreams we shared together
Where did you run to, boy?"

Personally I've never really heard the song and had to look the lyrics up. I've never been much of a Diana Ross fan, and apparently neither was Haley.

Forgetting lyrics, I think, was tonight's theme. I'm allowed some sympathy on this one since I've been guilty of forgetting lyrics on Idol too. Still, it was awkwardly entertaining to watch -- like an episode of The Office. I guess I'm into awkward moments.

You'd think that a couple verses and a chorus wouldn't be much of a problem, but that's clearly not the case. Why is it so difficult? And, why were so many cracking in precisely the moment they were trying not to?

I've thought a lot about it since my little stint on the show and I've got a couple of ideas. Don't be prepared for greatness, though -- it's common sense really. During "Movie Week," I remember being worried about forgetting the words to "Jailhouse Rock." I had a little cheat sheet I'd scribbled the lyrics on and read them over and over. I could recite them just fine when I wasn't thinking about it, but if I was under the gun ... well, it was unpleasant.

I imagine Brandon, Haley and most everyone else were back in the unglamorous backstage pacing and telling themselves to keep it together. Seems like some said it one too many times and got a minor complex. And, that type of thing doesn't go away anytime soon either.

I'm sure psychoanalysts will have some new category before long called "post-Idol depression." I'm also very sure more and more Idols will be spinning their Idol woes into book deals, Lifetime movies and free publicity ... and some non-Idols, for that matter (Magdaleno Olmos).

So, do I suffer from post-Idol Depression? I don't know, but I can remember lyrics just fine, so that's a good sign. Let's all hope the Idols can also manage to pull through for next week.

[Jon Peter Lewis was a contestant on the third season of "American Idol." He has just released his debut album, "Stories From Hollywood." Visit his Web site, jonpeterlewis.com, and americanidol.com to download his single.]

Go to AOL for more 'Idol' news, photos, recaps, rumors and more.

J. Collins

I have seen many professional singers forget the lyrics from a song they were singing. Some gracefully covered their lost of memory with a smile, a few scats or with witty added words to the song, then came quickly back into the song and the crowd enjoyed and appreciated the singers professional ability to know how to get out of what could have been a mess for the singer and his/her fans. Some I must say made me laugh and enjoy the song all the more. Lost lyrics can become a very good comedy of errors. There are professionals who do not have the ability nor talent to know how to turn their lemons into lemonade.

March 25 2007 at 2:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andrea

I think Jordan's Melinda's and Blake's performance was really great...i mean like great vocals n' all that. Well, anyway i think evryone being against Sanjaya is totally unfair!!!! Everyone should get an equal chance to compete in a competiton, even though it MAY be true that sometimes his voice is not audible!! And what i can't undrstand is why Brandon got voted out when Hailey, too, messed up her lyrics....!!

March 17 2007 at 4:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Teresa

I am very disapointed with the voting on american Idol. Sanjaya should have been gone long ago. his singing is not good enough to be in the top 12. he may be a nice guy and all but the sympathy for him has gone far enough. Excellent talent has been voted off to save him and it is unfair. He probably has all his family and friends voting repeatedly for 2 straight hours. If this is the case then it is truly not Americas choice for him to stay.
I feel that each phone number should have one vote per person. That way it would definately be Americas choice and a fair vote. Teresa

March 15 2007 at 11:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Valerie

Blake is not original...he is an Eminem wannabe. If I see his hand come out and stab the air one more time I think I'm going to retch! Every song is not an effing rap song.

It's true that Sanjaya doesn't sing very well, but at least he's not full of himself.

March 15 2007 at 9:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vince Sabre 5

I am pulling for Jordin, Gina, Blake and Melinda, not in any particulair order. Melinda definitely has the talent, Jordin has the personality, Gina the rock goddess mojo and Blake is totally unique among all Idol contestants ever.

March 15 2007 at 7:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Razz

I loved the line about the psychoanalysts and Post-Idol Depression! I already see myself making diagnostic impressions and running groups at the center that I work for! I love your comments and look forward to them. Personally, I wouldn't have noticed Haley or the third person who forgot(which I already forgot about). -Raiza

March 15 2007 at 12:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lylekira

YAY! JPL is back with his blog. I like your blog bestest!

I felt for Haley too, but I'm pulling for Blake first, then Melinda, and then Jordin. "By pulling for" I mean rooting for, because I don't vote (haven't since Clay was robbed of his title in Season 2). I do think that Blake (and Chris to an extent) bring something new which is nice. I do get tired of the belt em out vocal showcase songs. Lets see Lakesha and Melinda try some U2 or Counting Crows for a change.... ya know... at least bring the show into the 90's!!!

Anyway, glad to see your back JPL! I love the Office too, but I have to admit I enjoy those akward moments more than watching someone forget their lines... I have to forward through that! Which with Tivo I have already been doing every week when Sanjaya performs. I know... I'm a bad person for not rooting for this sweet kid, but I figure if he gets to the top 12 whispering his songs, I could probably do that... except his hair is nicer than mine. Thats it! Must be hair envy!

March 14 2007 at 8:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
judy

i just wanted to say i think randy jackson is being meaner to the contestants than simon whats with you dog

March 14 2007 at 6:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kat Okon

Well said. I voted for Haley last night to be honest. I really never noticed her before but something about her seemed very real to me after last night. For me in a entertainer that is really all I need. Do I think she should win? No. But I do feel she should be around another couple of weeks. This year I'm a BLewis fan. [LoL, you know some people think you two are related. If that was true, good looks definitely run in your family. =) ]
I think what I like best about your blogs JP, is the fact that you know what you are talking about. You make it funny and simple to understand all at the same time. Just one question I have for you though. Are you still bored with this season of Idol?

March 14 2007 at 3:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply