August 29, 2014

Make sure you watch Jeopardy tomorrow!

by Bob Sassone, posted Mar 15th 2007 2:41PM

Alex TrebekThis is either big news for game show fans or much to do about nothing.

The show sent out a note this week that promises something major is going to happen on the show tomorrow (Friday) that has never happened on the show before:

"This Friday, March 16, 2007...for the first time in 23 years, Jeopardy history will be made...it was such a remarkable event we consulted a game theory expert, and he said it may never happen again!"

OK, now they have me curious, and since they mention game theory, I think I've narrowed it down to three possible events.

1. All three players end up in a tie. And if that has happened on the show before, maybe it's a tie with zero points?

2. Before "Final Jeopardy" can even start, two of the players are knocked out, which means they don't even have to do Final Jeopardy.

3. Alex Trebek takes off all of his clothes and runs around the studio screaming, "I love lettuce! I love lettuce!"

Readers, your guesses?

UPDATE: And for those of you wondering. Here's what happened.

Erica

*Spoiler Alert*

I just saw the episode, and it was a three way tie.

March 16 2007 at 7:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kmfdm2oo5

I'm insanely peeved about March Madness pre-empting Jeopardy! here. Especially since my English/Humanities teacher, Jaime Kirby, is on Friday's episode!!! if anyoen answers all teh questions, it'll be him, I assure you. Will it be airing on any other channel tonight?

March 16 2007 at 5:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ytoabn

I too won't be able to watch, "history" due to some college basektball game I don't care about.
Jeopardy is on right now, isn't it. Someone comment and tell me what remarkable thing happens.

March 16 2007 at 5:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RJ

It's a 3 way tie at 16,000! I'm guessing the other guy was either being cocky, because he knew he could beat the other 2 again. Or, he was being really really really nice, and decided he wanted whomever got the question right and risk everything to share in the wealth. He also could know that he'd be interviewed on some tv station about what and why he did what he did.

March 16 2007 at 5:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
xfan

An album cover.

March 16 2007 at 1:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tna

I got into the biggest fight with my boyfriend over the Carter answer. I swore up and down that Jeopardy screwed up by not listing him as one of the two. I will SO be eating crow tonight when get home.

March 16 2007 at 11:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MDH1980

Wonderful, my local CBS affiliate is preemting Jeopardy for the Basketball tournament and isn't going to be showing the episode at all

March 16 2007 at 9:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lora

I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing what the deal is tomorrow. My curiosity is officially piqued. I hate that. I've been going over it all evening trying to think of what it could be, what could be so mind-bogglingly unlikely, so statistically improbable that they call in a game theory expert? I got nothing.

As others have said, it's not Bob's #1, a three-way tie with them all at zero. That's happened at least twice--once in the first season, in the very second show, apparently, and there was another time that I remember seeing myself. It was sometime in the '90s--I distinctly remember my mother and I watching it at home, and we lived in that particular house from 1991 to '98.

And it's not #2. As a poster just above said, having only one person advance to Final Jeopardy happened in the Tournament of Champions just a couple of years ago.

And neither of these things really strike me as one of those "one in a million, could never happen again" things. I mean, people bet everything in Final Jeopardy all the time. It's unlikely that all three of them will do it in the same show and all three get the question wrong, as it has only happened approx. two times, but it's something that can easily happen. And we have one player finishing Double Jeopardy in the red all the freaking time, so what's the big deal about two players finishing DJ with nothing? It's happened rarely, but it seems like an entirely possible thing.

I totally cannot wait until tomorrow. I need to get a life.

March 15 2007 at 10:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Are you sure the board is over 30 years old Richard Ott? I thought bouth Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy bouth had the old spinning things and that they replaced those 15 years ago with the screens.

March 15 2007 at 8:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Roger Rees

What about the possibility that no one will get a single question right?!?!? That would be even equally as impressive as if someone got them all right.

March 15 2007 at 6:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply