September 2, 2014

Fox News, Bill O'Reilly being sued

by Bob Sassone, posted Mar 16th 2007 1:28PM

Fox news logoHere's a new twist in this whole "who is the father of Anna Nicole Smith's baby" story.

Zsa Zsa Gabor's husband, Prince Frederic von Anhalt, is suing Fox News and Bill O'Reilly for at least $10 million. O'Reilly called von Anhalt "a fraud" during his February 20 O'Reilly Factor, referring to von Anhalt's claim that he could be the father of Anna Nicole's baby girl Danielynn. Here's the whole quote:

The prince says that people are not only sending him e-mails calling him a fraud, he's also getting a lot of dirty looks at the supermarket when he goes grocery shopping. (Wait, a prince goes to the supermarket to get his own groceries?)

I'm not a lawyer, so I have no idea if this case has any merit or not, but I'm glad Bill O'Reilly is getting sued.

[via TV Newser]

erroneous_nick

What a completely worthless article about a completely worthless suit. Suing O'Reilly for the things he says is like suing a cow for flatulating. Neither can help what comes out nor is any thought put into their actions.

Hell, if you want to write articles about someone involved in television suing someone else involved in television you could start an entire website around that subject alone. The "What's on tonight" and "Talk talk" simple lists are really your strong suit.

It's ironic you should use this quote: "Look, this guy's a fraud...we know he's a fraud. But let's - what I want to talk about is - he's done. His credibility is - finished."

Fits you perfectly. Your writings are a good example of the decline of this website.

March 16 2007 at 7:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LC

What a ridiculous suit. I would like to see how he was actually even damaged from this comment to come up with a $10 million figure. Have these comments prevented him from "earning" his wifes fortune?

This assclown agreed to a polygraph and shit himself when a machine with an F.B.I trained tech to administer the test were waiting for him. He is a fraud on so many levels.

He is also a public figure open to editorial comments same as actors and politicians. Shit if someone can be sued for comments like these then every editorial writer, talk show host, political satirist and stand up comic will be put out of business.

March 16 2007 at 7:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Emily

From what I understand about Anhalt, he isn't Prince Frederic von Anhalt, rather he is Frederic Prinz von Anhalt. It is only our American ignorance of European surnames that makes us assign royalty to his name. Besides, the Prinz von Anhalt is the name he acquired after adoption - he wasn't born with it.

March 16 2007 at 3:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

This is the first time I have ever liked something that Billo said. He's right, this guy is a fraud, yell his "prince" title was a fraud too! This "guy" is almost a bigger jackass than Billo.

March 16 2007 at 3:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Media Glutton

I'm no fan of O'Reilly, but "Prince" von Anhalt is not actually a prince, so O'Reilly can just say that's what makes him a "fraud." There's no way this suit gets anywhere.

The guy who really should sue O'Reilly is the 9/11 victim who was repeatedly defamed by Bill for his lack of support for the Afghan War. http://mediamatters.org/items/200407210006

March 16 2007 at 3:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BillS

Alright I double posted a few days ago but I at least realized I did something to cause it. This time... no idea how that one happened. Sorry!

March 16 2007 at 2:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BillS

I don't know if this has anything to do with anything, but I get to make a TV and legal argument at the same time, so why not. And standard IANAL disclaimers apply.

In the first episode of Penn & Teller's Bulls**t, they said that they wanted to do a show that exposed frauds and tricksters and the like, but their lawyers advised them not to use words like "fraud," that it exposed them to defamation lawsuits, while "bulls**t" was, legally speaking, a harmless insult.

But I guess you never know whether that's true or if it's just for entertainment purposes.

March 16 2007 at 2:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
B

I had no idea Bill O'Reilly was such an expert on the reproductive habits of Anna Nicole Smith. Anyways, this case has no merit. The first amendment makes slander or libel (I forget which is written and which is spoken) nearly impossible to prove.

March 16 2007 at 2:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BillS

March 16 2007 at 2:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Emily

Look Bob, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Does the Prince think for even a moment that maybe people are giving him dirty looks because he cheated on his 90 year old wife?

March 16 2007 at 1:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply