December 22, 2014

Smallville: Promise

by Kevin Kelly, posted Mar 16th 2007 12:34AM
Smallville - Promise
(S06E16) The wedding bells that have been ringing in the promos for this episode also sound like funeral bells ringing, is that a coincidence? We may never know. Anyhow, it's finally here, the Lex & Lana wedding that we've all been dreading/waiting for.

Did that scene of Lex and Lana watching the ultrasound creep anyone else out? It's scary to know what might come ripping out of that womb. I keep picturing that scene from Alien over and over in my head. I also hope that the photo Clark whipped out the window didn't end up decapitating someone in Malaysia. He really put some heat behind it.

And can anyone tell me why Clark got invited to the wedding? He had his suit all laid out, so it's obvious that he was planning on going. Did Lana have to bribe Lex to get the okay on that? I mean, from Lex's point of view, he did try to kill him and all. Normally that type of behavior tends to quash a wedding invitation. Speaking of invites, where the hell was Lois during this whole event? Completely AWOL.

I love the fact that Clark just rips the door to Lex's wine cellar off the hinges, lets Chloe out, and then solders it back together with his heat vision. What a handy dude to have around. Many kudos to Lana for setting up the little spyjob on Clark and his powers, but isn't he supposed to have super-hearing? He can't hear Lana's heartbeat or her breathing? What a rip.

With freaky ultrasound dreamscenes right out of A Clockwork Orange and Lionel Luthor making threats (promises?), we're finally starting to return to what makes Smallville cool ... until we arrived at the mortuary scene, complete with fog on the floor and Bach-esque music playing on an organ in the background. What did the doctor say on that call anyhow? "Meet me at the freakyscary tomb for a confab?"

Flashbacks, the return of Lana's aunt, Lex stashing bodies in crypts, Martha Kent shopping and not doing Senatorial duties (yet again), Chloe getting locked in wine cellars, naked male jello wrestling, and Lana finding out Clark's secret -- FINALLY. Not a bad show, altogether. As an added bonus, next week's show looks pretty awesome, too.

Smallville, FTW!

Quote of the show:
  • Chloe to Clark: "Clark, you don't hesitate to run into a burning building, or jump in front of a bullet, because nothing can penetrate that iron flesh of yours. But the one time saving Lana means putting your heart on the line, the Man of Steel is nowhere to be found." One of the best lines ever from the show!

rick the dog 69

hears some food for thought.... has anyone given any thought as to why, in the episode "Freak", Lex was hunting down and capturing so many meteor freaks and running tests on them? And during Chloe's scene in the freak examining room they penetrated her with something like a probe of some sort. Well, I know what you are going to say, "It was a tracking device". But we really do not know what ALL went on in those examining rooms... do we? My point is this... could the unborn in Lana's stomach be some kind of hybrid that Lex come up with to create a supernatural baby for himself? HMMMM>>>>> by taking sample tissue or blood or whatever from the specimens that he was gathering from "FREAK", could he have been alternately engineering his own child for world power and domination? Hmmmmm... food for though.

March 23 2007 at 12:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

The whole non-linear storytelling thing is starting to be used way too much. I knew it was a setup the moment that Chloe called Clark, but I didn't suspect that it was Lana who did it. I'm glad that she finally knows his secret. I hate it when shows drag out secrets way too long. The ultrasound was waay creepy. I like it. I thought we were going to get out of suffering through the whole Lana/Lex marriage, but oh well. It was nice seeing Nell back though.

March 20 2007 at 9:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sheila

How frustrating all I can do is read about the episode .. I missed it!! Anywho, I remember Lex saying something to Clark that he wanted him at the wedding so he could see what he lost... I'm thrilled that Lex and Lana are getting married... Lana is incredibily annoying and maybe she'll go on the run after the baby's born and after she once again gets confused about her feelings for Lex. Blah, blah, blah. And is it just me, but by the time Lois and clark get togather she'll have gone thru the entire Justice League .. lol! Either way I love this show and once its over hopefully they can do a Justice League spin off ... Anything to see Mr. Welling in spandex!!!
I was wondering if anyone knows where I can download the last episode or view it online ... thanks

March 20 2007 at 2:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alli

OR... Lionel doesn't want Clark distracted by his love for Lana. He doesn't give a rip if Lana sees him as a bad guy; he knows he can always intimidate and manipulate her. (It's Clark who can't see that side of him.) Perhaps he feels if Clark is rebuffed, he'll be more likely to fully focus on his training and begin moving towards his full potential. It's in Lionel's best interests to stay chummy with CK now. PLUS, he sees how much Lex cares for Lana... she makes Lex vulnerable. Even better.

March 20 2007 at 11:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chadly

For those who are confused by Lionel's actions, I don't remember WHICH episode but in one fairly recent episode he was having a talk with Lex and made it very clear he's been playing the Kents this whole time.

March 19 2007 at 3:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gen

Promise.. well what can i say, ive alwyas been a clana fan.. and having been so close to lex & lana breaking up reli made watching it on YouTube worthwhile..

I thought Lionel had turned to the "goodside" If ther is one for the luthors? With the whole Martha thing.. Not telling anyone clark's secret i mean if lionel was going all evil on us again they could've led up to it and not given it to us in one whole blow.

I noticed tht glitch aswell.. technically i think it was a glitch but who knows, if the director was making it look like it was from lana's point of view: he should have done a way better job on it..

Lana setting clark up in the wine cellar was probably the smartest thing she has done on the show..

All in all it was a great episode : i understand that lana was protecting clark from lionel.. but getting married to someone .. i mean even if things did work out for clana she would be mrs luthor. the whole episode plot i would give a 10/10... bt seeing as i was reli depressd on the outcome of it all and seeing tom's face :( i give it a 2/10..

& 1 more thing.. i cant wait to find out what that freaky thing is inside lana's tummy :D.. they better make it good.

March 18 2007 at 4:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kevin Kelly

#12 and #13 - so funny you mention that. I caught it as well and it just looked like they forgot something, but the buddy I was watching it with said "No, that's probably what Lana saw." Which seems weird, since she could see his heat vision, but not him speeding off. Just looked like an accident to me, but who knows. Why show it all the times when he does it, but then suddenly not when Lana's watching? Odd.

March 17 2007 at 10:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

hessian: I assumed that we were seeing it from Lana's point of view, which would have Clark there, and then suddenly not as he super-sped away. That being said, it was really kind of silly looking. They could have at least accelerated him just a little bit until he disappeared, instead of showing him turn, then blink out of sight.

March 17 2007 at 9:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim

Was ther an FX shot missing in this episode?

When we saw Clark leave the wine cellar from Lana's POV, he just vanished. Chloe's hair blew like there was wind, but Clark left no visual trail and there was no WHOOSH sound.

????

March 17 2007 at 5:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JTK

Is it just me or did Chloe's wound from "Freak" heal REALLY fast? Unless there's a lot of time between "Freak" and "Promise", Chloe should have a nasty scab and burn under her right clavicle; and wearing that dress she's got on in Promise wouldn't have been very sightly.

March 17 2007 at 2:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply