October 25, 2014

Angel fans may finally get closure with new comic books

by Adam Finley, posted Mar 19th 2007 2:01PM

AngelI would never have seen a single episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Angel if I hadn't recently lived with some friends who were huge fans of both series. I could never get into Buffy, but I did like Angel, and was more than a little perturbed to find out the series ended abruptly with no real resolution at all.

Fans who have been waiting for creator Joss Whedon to wrap things up may finally have their wish. No, the show isn't coming back, but a comic book series co-written by Whedon and set within the Buffyverse canon are on their way, according to the man himself.

Also, fans of the "Smile Time" episode from season five (written and directed by Tick creator and occasional Venture Bros. contributor Ben Edlund) can look forward to a comic book sequel featuring Spike. Edlund is not involved with the comic book, however.

David

Umm... Did I miss something but a few more Firefly comics are being made, and that was annouced last year. I think the number is threeish and they will take place during the show.

March 20 2007 at 12:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
blair

The final season of Angel wasn't cut short. They had a full season. The problem was that they didn't want the show to end that year so they didn't have a conclusive ending for the season. When word came down that the show wasn't getting its next season (albeit late in the game) they ended it in the best way they could. And In my opinion, the show ended exactly as it should have ended: with Angel and his crew fighting evil to their death not for redemption, or any other petty reason, but because it should be done.

March 19 2007 at 11:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mel

I'm probably in the minority, but I loved the ending of Angel. Jsut the same, I'm thrilled to be getting more, and I just know that Firefly is around the corner!

March 19 2007 at 5:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Larry Hamilton

Ok, they're doing this for buffy and angel. Now keep going with firefly in comic form and I am there.

March 19 2007 at 4:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ScreenwriterGuy

I didn't feel like Angel ended "with no resolution at all."

The problem was that the (then) WB network canceled Angel without giving them the rest of the season to tie up story lines. They had something like 4 episodes with which to conclude. One surmises that the creative staff had to abandon the current season-long arc and turn it into something that could be wrapped up.

But the other hitch was that the network also suggested that maaaaybe there would be future two-hour movies. That meant they had to end things in a way that left things open for future installments.

Given all those restrictions, I thought Angel's we-keep-fighting ending was pretty genius work on the part of Whedon & co.

I don't know about you, but I kinda wanna slay the dragon.

March 19 2007 at 3:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

He hates TV now I guess after Angel and Firefly got treated like shit.

March 19 2007 at 3:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TVSeriesFinale.com

I didn't mind the series ending but know a lot fans felt cheated. Either way, it'd be great to see some new Joss-written Angel stories.

March 19 2007 at 3:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply