September 21, 2014

Chris Ware animates This American Life

by Kevin Kelly, posted Mar 21st 2007 6:03PM
Chris Ware animates TALThis American Life starts up on Showtime this Thursday, March 22nd, and one of the first four episodes features an entire segment animated by Chris Ware. If you haven't seen Ware's art before, then you've been missing out. He's been feature in The New York Times Magazine, was in the "Masters of American Comics" touring museum exhibit, and is an artist who really captures angst well. Whoever thought that would be considered a huge plus.

You can watch Ware's This American Life segment here. I really enjoyed the way it captures the spirit and theme of the radio show. Give it a whirl and let us know what you think.

[Thanks, Mike]

RSL

@ GhaleonQ: A. The fact that you have multiple names for such a badge proves that we'd have to wrest it from your cold, dead hands to remove it and B. it also explains why you might not like Ware's work. Heh. :)

I myself love it. There's something so wonderfully simple about it. Color me gauche but I'm not looking for the Steve Vai of cartooning. Chris Ware is fine with me.

March 22 2007 at 8:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Danny Cohen

It was great!

March 22 2007 at 12:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

I'm not familiar with either "This American Life" or Chris Ware, but I liked it. The animation was simplistic, but entertaining and appropriate to the narration. All in all, the 4+ minutes I spent watching the clip were fairly entertaining, but it would've been more entertaining with more interesting subject matter.

Still, I liked it!

March 21 2007 at 11:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kevin Kelly

#1 Yes. Please send it in immediately. It will be traded for ten pounds worth of Elfquest comics and one unknown Dark Knight comic book.

March 21 2007 at 9:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GhaleonQ

Must I turn in my animation/comic book/graphic novel geek badge for being unimpressed with the bulk of Ware's work?

March 21 2007 at 8:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply