September 30, 2014

Dirt: Caught on Tape

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Mar 21st 2007 2:18PM

Laura Allen as Julia Mallory on FX's Dirt.(S01E12) Not bad. Not bad at all. Actually, it's unfortunate. Last week was a great episode and so was this one. Now the finale is next week. Why do shows always seem to get better when there's fewer episodes left?

Lots of stuff going on, especially the leak of the Julia/Johnny sex tape. It was bound to happen, but I truly didn't see it turning out the way it did. I suppose all signs pointed to Julia being behind the leak. When I first considered that it could have been her, it felt too convenient and I let the idea pass. Had me fooled.

Despite the backdrop of the sex tape scandal, other big things were happening too. I really like the angle that Don's story is taking. He's back off his meds and with the help of an imaginary Marquis, Don's been snapping plenty of covert photos Lucy. You have to wonder though. Has Don been the one "stalking" Lucy the whole time. Only he does it when he's off his meds? It would make sense, especially since he doesn't seem to ever remember things when he's back on the pills. The end was creepy though, when Holt told Don that he had to kill Lucy to save her?

Speaking of things that confused me, what was the point of bringing Leo back? He went to some back woods commune and came home with a girlfriend who doesn't speak at all? What happened to him? And how does his return make Lucy's life any easier?

OK, griping is over because as I said, I really did like this episode. The good stuff? Two things I wanted to mention. First up is Perez Hilton. Incredibly smart idea to have him pop in with a quick cameo as himself. It got me thinking though. Dirt needs to have more celebs playing themselves, just like Entourage. We had Perez here and in another episode earlier in the season, Christopher Knight and Adrianne Curry showed up. Something like that could go a long way to helping the show feel more realistic. I say that because this was the first episode where Lucy's so-called reach and power really felt a little far-fetched.

OK, down to the one scene that made the episode for me: when Lucy confronted Julia about leaking the tape. She busted her and Julia broke down. It was ironic though. Julia wanted to strike a deal to keep the proof in Lucy's vault and Lucy said she wasn't for sale. Lucy has always been for sale to get gossip. Just look at Johnny and Holt. This was really the first time we saw Lucy put her own future first. She needed that big Julia cover story to prevent getting fired. If her job wasn't on the line, guaranteed she would have taken Julia's deal and milked her for all the gossip she had on her. I guess you never know what to expect with this show though.

spadekqj10

also whats with everyone loving julia seriously ???

June 14 2011 at 1:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
spadekqj10

i know this shows over and i was looking for camera info.. but after reading this i just had to correct the ending to this blog, i feel the reason she did what she did to julia was because she wanted Holt thats obvious from the start, yes it was also to "save" her job but honestly her job as the mistress of gossip no one could replace her, and like willa had said she could have changed the cover and kept julia's secret in the vault, if and when she had started her career again she would have used her or had her as a source, Lucy did want that," shes not for sale
" come on lucy is always for sale you just have to know the right price, besides julia selling her self to lucy she doesnt mind being owned that was rock bottom i mean really. holt was to much of a "***** " to have broken up with julia himself he was really only with her out of guilt, and yeah he cared for her no doubt but he no longer wanted her like before. Lucy publicized everything out of spite ( because of the debacle with her being the only one to have seen the copy of the tape.) and because shes in love with Holt ( but wont admit it to herself. )
( and one more thing i loved holt hes a good guy dispite what he felt he had to do to get to the top ) and it really wasnt that bad, and lucy need someone like him.. if he stuck around that long for cracked up julia he would def. stay for lucy ( though that could have backfired )
i know that shows over i just had to ...
maybe had i not worked so much and watched it i wouldnt have been cancelled sorry folks .

June 14 2011 at 1:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fauxreal

I missed the preview for the season finale. Can someone give me the highlights? I think Konkey's taking the pix but the brother found them and is stalking his sis. I think he's harboring resentment. Totally lost respect for Julia & don't like Holt. He's wishy washy & not good enough 4 Lucy. Can't wait 4 the finale & hope it gets picked up again 4 next season!

March 21 2007 at 11:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
purpleslog

Nice turn of phrase slutty_whore - welldone!

March 21 2007 at 9:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cole

slutty_whore

I think the thing with Holt being angry is guilt, he doens't wnat to be anywhere near Lucy, and Julia doens't get that, because she doens't know what he did to become famous again.

March 21 2007 at 9:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
slutty_whore

#3, At Julia's request, Holt went to Lucy to get the tape. She gave it to him, he gave it to her.

March 21 2007 at 4:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BC McKinney

This was a great episode. I was so surprised Julia was smart enough to use the tape's release to her advantage that I never guessed she was the one who released it. I don't understand the comment about Holt not breaking up with her forcing her to release the tape. Julia's career slide isn't really Holt's fault, it's her own weakness and lack of character; she was already a drug-addicted party girl when she was successful, it was bound to catch up with her. And Johnny didn't rape her, so she was unfaithful to Holt before Lucy came on the scene.

My favorite part of the episode was when Johnny returned to the press hounds and admitted he had been a prostitute (he said stripper for men, but everyone there had to know what he really meant) and knew how it felt to be used and exploited. All the "Dirt/Now" staff are watching the TV; Brent is laughing at Johnny's admission, while Lucy looks bemused but also a little admiring and proud--she threatened him with it, but she never thought he'd own up to it himself, and maybe she's actually impressed that he drew the connection. Of course, if he was willing to admit that, I don't know why he bowed to her threat and recanted and apologized; I guess he's more afraid to be known as the action star who wet himself and begged for mercy during the hostage situation than being one of many stars who used to turn tricks when poor and hungry.

March 21 2007 at 4:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Christine

Where did Julia get the tape from?

March 21 2007 at 3:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cole

I knew it was Julia from the very beginning, but i had hoped that she had been doing it because she figured out that Holt was cheating with Lucy, and this was more about revenge against the Lucy for the pain she cause then just Julia trying to get back onto the Hollywood scene.

I admit when i thought it was about revenge i was kind of proud of Julia, because it showed that she was more then a ditz blond actress, but then she just fell apart in Lucy's office, and i lost all respect for her, plus she cried rape, which was just totally tacky and insensitive.

I am really starting to think Don is the stalker and that is unfortunate , because other then him all Lucy has is Leo, and he's too flighty to be really useful.

Can't wait to see the season finale

March 21 2007 at 3:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
malren

"Alright, now here's the flip side to all this. As much as I enjoy the crazy Don storyline, I ask again: what does it have to do with anything? It's like watching two different shows! We've got the whole gossip side... and we've got Don. It just confuses me sometimes."

Oh my GOD PLEASE HIRE WRITERS THAT ACTUALLY UNDERSTAND THE SHOWS THEY ARE WATCHING AND GETTING PAID TO WRITE ABOUT.

March 21 2007 at 3:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply