October 21, 2014

Letterman goes home sick; Sandler covers for him

by Joel Keller, posted Mar 21st 2007 12:20AM
David LettermanWell, anyone who's watching The Late Show right now probably realizes that David Letterman's not there.

Apparently, Dave showed up to work today but took ill with a stomach problem. It must have been pretty bad, because the only things that have kept Dave off the air in the past were a bad case of the shingles and heart bypass surgery. According to the AP, this is believed to be the first time Dave was not able to go on after showing up for work.

Anyway, tonight's main guest, Adam Sandler, was recruited to fill in, and seems to be doing an OK job of it so far . And he was even able to pull in his Reign Over Me co-star, Don Cheadle, as a guest, so the movie promotion machine didn't skip a beat. Oh, and as a privilege of hosting, Sandler decided to bring his bulldog, Matzoball, up on stage. Awww.....

And don't worry about the rest of the week's shows; Dave pre-taped tomorrow's episode, and Thursday's and Friday's episodes are being pre-empted for the NCAA tournament, so he'll have plenty of time to get better.

(By the way, Danica Patrick was a dud, wasn't she? It just shows you what kind of skill it takes to wring any bit of comedy out of a lame-ass interview. It shows why there are only a few people who can do the job of talk-show host, and it also shows why Letterman is the best of the bunch. Poor Adam didn't even have a chance.)

Mark

Tess: While I do agree with you that Patrick was very full of herself, I'm guessing you don't watch a lot of open wheel auto racing - it's par for the course for auto racers (at least indy, F1 types), to be very full of themselves. And that's not even a criticism - it's just who they are, and what they need to be to be successful.

So I don't think it matters if Patrick is male or female; and I don't buy she's the typical barbie doll "I'm so beautiful" type either - though I'm sure she thinks that way. But then again, so do people like Paul Tracy, Michael Andretti, Michael Schummaker and other famous racers.

March 21 2007 at 9:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CJ

Danica's fifteen minutes should be over. She's okay to look at, but she's got the personality of a log. Keep her in the car.

March 21 2007 at 1:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JW

I have no clue who Don Cheadle is or who Calvert DeForest is, but it is sad that he died.

March 21 2007 at 1:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tess Capra

I thought Adam Sandler was very uncomfortable. While I felt for him, the nervous laughter got on my nerves. But I agree that Cheadle has rarely had such a good showcase.

It was also very telling when Danica Patrick mentioned how nice it was that her father worked in the glass industry because growing up she could have all the mirrors in her bedroom she wanted. Girl's more than a little full of herself.

March 21 2007 at 12:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amy

What sad news about Larry "Bud" Melman!!! I remember watching that exact clip back when I was a 12-13 year old kid sneaking out to the tv room, sitting inches from the tv with the volume down really low and laughing into a pillow so I didn't get busted! Fun times!

Thanks for the tip, Elf. :`-(

(Ok, I don't know how to make a weepy emoticon - the above is the best I can do!)

March 21 2007 at 11:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Hewitt

Was Sandler as good as Letterman? Not quite. Was Sandler better than Leno? Definitely.

March 21 2007 at 10:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dawn50

I thought Adam Sandler did the best he could under short notice.

Liked the bit with Don Cheadle, whom I love and whom I think never gets enough credit for being as great as he is.

The dog was very funny, even if the camera did zoom in a bit much.

Could not stand Danica Patrick. Her eye-rolling at Sandler, plus her strident manner made me want to pull my hair out.

Kudos, Adam. Nice job.

Hope Dave gets well and returns soon.

March 21 2007 at 10:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ian

DP left his racing team (RLR) end of last season and now is driving for a competitor AGR. Good for Dave to still give her air time.

March 21 2007 at 9:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JW

I thought the show was great! But I am a Sandler fan. It was cool to see Cheadle and Sandler trade seats; I thought that was pretty clever.

March 21 2007 at 7:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cath

Danica is HOT; love the dog.

March 21 2007 at 3:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply