August 20, 2014

Battlestar Galactica to end after season four?

by Keith McDuffee, posted Mar 22nd 2007 11:01AM
battlestar galacticaI have to admit that I have a strong appreciation for a television show that knows when its story has been told, when it has approached its final chapter and chooses to say "The End." The better the show is, the more I find this to be an important realization for the creators (and the networks!) to come to recognize and accept.

The New York Post is reporting that the creators of Battlestar Galactica have it in mind for the show's fourth season to be its last, a season which just recently got the OK for the full 22-episodes. It's not a set-in-stone plan ... yet. But as much as I love the show, I think this could be the way for it to go out on a high note (and let's not forget the planned 2-hour season-gap-bridging movie). It's refreshing to know that the creators have a plan and they're going to see it through, and not allow it to be milked beyond its capacity.

Since creator Ron Moore has said before that the planned spin-off series, Caprica, hasn't been picked up yet, I could see the plan being to end Battlestar should Caprica get a greenight. If Caprica hits a stop, maybe there will be a way to see Battlestar continue past its prime, but just for a little bit. I only wish other popular shows could follow the same example, but for some it's already too late.

MattEngland

As a series i think if would be good to end on a high but leave the door open to produce collection of 2 hour specials finalizing the story.

June 12 2007 at 3:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
christina

I agree with you 100% Chaos. They should've kept that whole Friday night Sci-Fi lineup! I mean those three sci-fi shows got people excited and even got people interested in the Sci-Fi channel. I never watched the Sci-Fi channel but then when BSG came on I started actually watching the network. And because of BSG, I got into Alantis because I used to wait in anticipation for BSG @ 10. And now since they split those shows up they all lost ratings.

March 24 2007 at 11:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bsgfan2003

Comment #24 makes sense. Aside from BSG there is nothing enticing me to watch SCI FI. I have no appreciation for the gory type evil shows or the campy, stupid cgi ones. If BSG goes then so do I.

March 24 2007 at 9:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LordBicen

Look, there have been QUITE A FEW gems that sci-fi has had their hands on and they killed them.
Farscape started as Sci-Fi's Flagship, Sci-Fi promised a 5th season, renegged, then dropped the show all together because they didnt have enough money to go around, because sci-fi blew their wad ordering crap like Tremors: the series, Scare Tactics, John Edward, and more.
WE DONT NEED NEW SHOWS, WE DONT NEED ANOTHER SPIKE T.V., WE EITHER NEED SCI-FI UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT, OR SOMEONE ELSE NEEDS TO MAKE A NEW CHANNEL FOR US FANS TO GET OUR SCI-FI/SPACE FLICKS/SHOWS.
If Sci-fi would stop wasting capitol on these stupid Made for t.v. movies that noone watches maybe they would have more capitol to burn on their shows that PEOPLE ACTUALLY WATCH. Too Bad Lucas, MGM/FOX/U.A., Spielberg, Henson and Cameron couldnt join forces and make a rival to Sci-Fi. Bonnie Hammer needs to be so FIRED!!

March 24 2007 at 9:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chaos

It was only a matter of time. The Stargate fans knew this was coming. Sci-fi had things going right with SG1, SG Atlantis and BSG running together, but by splitting up the shows, they've lost far too many people for Atlantis and BSG (SG1 has been cancelled). Atlantis loses the people watching it before BSG, and BSG loses the Atlantis fans who stayed after.

Atlantis is next.

March 24 2007 at 10:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim McCleese

It is unnatural for me to WANT the things I cherish come to an end. All this glee over possible cancellation of BSG is baffling to me. If Ron Moore and company don't want to continue the series that's one thing. But that doesn't make me happy about it. The fears of boring storylines or lack of ideas may indeed occur....but why borrow trouble? Let the fans be the judge when a show becomes unwatchable...if it happens, then go from there. Oh the hell with it. Go ahead and cancel it. If it's cancelled the consolation will be, that Grace Park could move on to other projects. Projects that would give her more screentime, hopefully a lot more tv and movie exposure she so richly deserves. She is so under-used in BSG.

March 24 2007 at 12:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
matt

Well herse the thing, it is atrap that many sci fi showas have fallen in, (because I suposse it is cheaper)too much drama , not enough action. Half the shows all thay do is talk, and someone might get shot at the very end. But this show has got to be tanking, I used to love it, but after thay changed the time, I cind of lost interest. I don't know i gess it just wasn't part of my sunday thing. And stargate atlantis just suc because aparently, the writers are worthless or used up?

March 23 2007 at 6:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
yalmot

Really? No one wants to see a campy Galactica 2010, on Earth with flying motorcycles? Yeah, me neither :)

March 22 2007 at 6:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andrew Conkling

...and they have a plan.

March 22 2007 at 5:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TVSeriesFinale.com

It's nice that we're getting a full 22 but I'd be really surprised if this wasn't the last season. It's an expensive series.

March 22 2007 at 4:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply