What are these Idols' names again?

by Jon Peter Lewis, posted Mar 22nd 2007 12:23PM

Jon Peter LewisSome guy sang some song. What was his name? Oh yeah, it's Peter Noone. Then, some lady, who looked smoking hot for a 60-year-old, sang some unknown song. What was her name again? Had to rewind that one too to remember it was Lulu. Finally Stephanie gets voted off, and I only remember her name because I realized last night that up until then I still had no idea who she was. And that about sums it up for me tonight.

I have a good memory, I swear!

I'm extremely into '60s music. When they started reading off the British band names last night, I got pretty green with envy. I tried so hard to get Van Morrison and Beatles songs cleared for television, but only got shot down time and again. Apparently not much has changed since then, given the fact I didn't recognize any of those songs with the exception of maybe two or three.

But why do a British invasion week if you can only get the D-list catalogue of songs? And only book the D-list British invasion celebrities? Is it deliberate? I mean, Idol's got to be raking in enough cash and ratings to rope in whomever they wish. So, what the heck? Maybe they don't want risk Keith Richards' drunken antics on live television? God only knows.

So, while I'm still jealous, I'm very relieved that most of the songs I love were left untouched. All except one. But, with tonight as proof, it seems that forgetting is the key to getting things gone. So I won't mention that someone butchered a Kinks tune last night. And, I won't say that the same somebody made watching awkwardly entertaining and awfully unforgettable.

You outdid puppy dogs, mom, and apple pie with "make-a-wish Ashley." Bravo! I don't think anything short of kissing babies could have won you any more votes. What was your name again? If William Hung isn't enough proof that anyone who gets enough people saying their name can turn it into a buck, then you might be the second. What was your name again?

But, enough about what's-his-name. I'm feeling empowered by the strength of un-publicity, so I'm thinking we should spread it to what's-her-bucket with the long legs (even though I'm not sure the show should get rid of its eye candy) and what's-his-face with bald head. What were their names again?

Jon Peter Lewis was a finalist on the third season of "American Idol." His newly released debut album, "Stories From Hollywood," is available everywhere online and can also be downloaded at americanidol.com. Visit Jon's Web site for more.

Mikey - Jon\'s Aussie Friend

Hey Jon

Don't listen to anyone who says mean and nasty things about you. You rock, my friend, in more ways than one. I'm not often online since I'm not quite well right now, but I try and check out your blogs when I can. You have a brilliant writing style, and while I haven't watched American Idol since your season (and don't intend to), I trust your judgement enough to know that you know what you're talking about.

Also, Jon never said "he knows everything about 60s music", he quite plainly said and I quote "I am extremely into 60s music". Different thing altogether, folks. I'm extremely into 80s music, but do I know everything about it? No. Am I passionate about it enough to say I am extremely into it. Yes. I understand what you meant, Jon, even if nobody else seems to get it.

Also, Jon's music is awesome and I am determined to promote it further Down Under once I am well again. Plus he's a really nice guy and is always great with the fans.

Cheers, Mikey :)

April 02 2007 at 9:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carol

D-List??? Darlin Peter Noone and Lulu are anything but D-List artists! They are still around, still selling out concerts and still making money after 40 years! You think just because they aren't played on your favorite radio station that they are D-Listers?? Trust me, 40 years from now 99.9% of the acts playing on your favorite station truly WILL be D-Listers if they are even lucky enough to be on a list at all. If you're going to do a commentary, at least TRY to be educated BEFORE you sit down to type. As for your favorite Van Morrison. Talk about over rated!! If you are going to try to talk intelligently about the music of the 60's try actually listening to some of it (I would recommend listening to some of the artists who HAVEN'T had their music bastardized by commercials - that would of course leave out Van Morrison AND the Beatles).

March 29 2007 at 9:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wendy

Wow, looks like word is getting around about your blog. AWESOME! Too bad those who enjoy it arn't commenting enough like those who have... another agenda. I admit, I am to blame. I don't comment much so here I am - standing for something.

I LOVE READING YOUR BLOG! You help me see Idol from another perspective which I can't get anywhere else. THANKS! Keep up the great work (and the great pics). :)

March 28 2007 at 5:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carol

I think this young man has too high an opinion of his opinions. His comments today are very distasteful. As for the low record sales for Taylor Hicks, how many albums has he sold. One reason for lower than expected record sales for people like Taylor and Bo Bice (although both have sold quite well) is that songs are chosen for them that do not fit their genre or personality. However, somebody like Carrie Underwood, who is very talented by the way, is known as a country singer and is given songs that showcase who she is. Anyway, Jon Peter Lewis tone down your criticisms of everybody but yourself.

March 28 2007 at 12:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bellagagutz

Who's Jon Peter Lewis?
I'm serious.

March 25 2007 at 11:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Harold Love

JPL,

If you don't know Lulu and To Sir With Love and those other songs, that's because you're like a lot of other kids who have no curiosity about what came before them. Put a little time in and listen to a lot of different music.

March 24 2007 at 9:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kay

Kira goes:
>Apparently Kay is another of those music snobs that feel that their generation of music is the bestest ever and everyone should know everything about it. <

And apparently, Kira is one of those people who make stupid assumptions. I never said I'm from that generation. And I'm not. I wasn't around then. However, I am still able to appreciate the music, both for its value and influence and for how it freakin' sounds. And if being aware of what came before makes me a music snob, then that's a pretty sad commentary on music snobbery in general.

I never said the music from the 60s was -- how'd you so adorably put it? -- the bestest ever, or that everybody should know everything about it. But as others have pointed out (because they, unlike you, aren't slow ponies and can actually read), Jon's premise was that he is a huge fan of 60s music. He then went on to prove that he knows nothing about it. Hence, the post. I would like to think that after hearing the music from the other night that he'd start listening to some of it, but it doesn't appear as if he's going to. His loss.

And if you remove that era of music from the history of rock, you're gonna eradicate about ninety percent of the artists that followed. If you're so incurious that you can't figure that out, then it's your problem.

March 23 2007 at 5:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason

Anyone who wants to posture as having even a passing fancy for any real 60's British music must be ready to show their copy of Nuggets II: Original Artyfacts From The British Empire & Beyond. Or, for a broader range of styles, the 9-disc British Invasion: History Of British Rock collection.

Also, go to the store right now and buy Zombies "Odyssey And Oracle" and Pretty Things "S.F. Sorrow". Do it. Quickly!

March 23 2007 at 4:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patrick R

Seriously though, the photo thing is really annoying and I'm surprised no editor has stepped in to stop it. The photos should be relevant to the articles, not the authors. How about some pictures of contestants from, you know... this season?

And yeah, The Zombies are one of the best bands of their decade. Underrated, but very excellent.

March 23 2007 at 2:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phish

JESUS!! JPL! R U STILL AROUND?

how many records have you sold? 5?

even sanjaya will outsell you 100,000,000 to 1