July 24, 2014

Has David Tennant signed up for fourth Doctor Who series?

by Martin Conaghan, posted Mar 23rd 2007 6:40PM
Doctor WhoThe Daily Mirror newspaper in the UK is claiming that Scottish actor David Tennant has signed a £1million deal to continue playing the lead role in Doctor Who for a fourth season.

Given that the fourth season was only confirmed in the last few days by the show's executive producer, Russell T. Davies, it doesn't seem unlikely that news of Tennant's committment (or abandonment) would soon follow (especially since it helps keep The Doctor in the headlines in the run up to the new series starting on 31 March).

However, the Daily Mirror is on a par with the National Enquirer (it was the newspaper which posted the images of British soldiers urinating on Iraqi prisoners a few years ago, which turned out to be fake), so I tend not to trust it.

When newspapers use phrases like "a BBC insider said..." you should consider your options, especially when it's followed up with "A BBC spokesman said it was too early to talk about the fourth series."

I'll believe it when I see it.

emily and kirsty

We hope he doesnt leave he is the sexiest man alive...hes sooo gawjuzz we love him!!...we love his smile and his glasses..and his beard...! He just looks 2 gajuzz i all in his piks...we dream about him and wud love to marry him...AND WHOEVER DUS NOT LIKE DOCTOR WHO YOU ARE CRAZY!!!!

June 16 2007 at 4:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Thomas

How stupid. I don't like Doctor Who so don't care, but a show like this in the UK doesn't just end. They just won't end it on a massive cliffhanger and won't make any more. Then in a few years if they decide to they'll bring the cast back or recast (easier for Doctor Who) and make more.

The UK doesn't have the same sort of schedule as in the US, we don't have one main season with a beginning and an end. Stuff just airs when it airs to a certain extent.

June 01 2007 at 10:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
abbie targett

doctor who is the best show ever and i think he should be in the fourth seiries to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 08 2007 at 12:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jak

The regenerations granted to The Master were given by the Time Lords themselves, seen as there are none left how do you suppose The Doctor gets his?

April 29 2007 at 11:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rebecca

david i love ur shows i really want u to stay in doctor who i am ur biggest fan nd i think u look fit in a suit i really wanna meet u nd they r running out of doctors so i think u should stay longer

April 05 2007 at 10:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

There are twelve regeneration cycles, which will result in thirteen Doctors. So yes, there are three left. There was talk of McCoy or McGann coming back if they want to continue the series - as fans want to see what happened between the horrible TV Movie and the Eccleston Doctor.

March 26 2007 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

Gene, just to play devil's advocate, wasn't that offer made by the now-extinct (except for the Doctor and possibly the Master) Time Lords? :o)

Yeah, that one's easy to go around, too, just like any obstacle in science fiction, but I was feeling silly and thought I'd bring it up!

March 24 2007 at 12:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gene

In the 20th anniversary special, the Master (Doctor Who's version of Moriarty) was offered a complete new set of regenerations in exchange for saving the Doctor.
That was in 1983. I think it's fairly obvious that the 12 regenerations rule was disposed of a long time ago.

March 24 2007 at 11:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

I think it is 12 too, it might be 13, I don't remember.

And I know they can get around that, but the rumour was they would have "Doctor Who's" son become the main charater and that just sounds cheap and lame.

March 24 2007 at 9:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

David, I agree and disagree.

I agree that he's great as the Doctor. Absolutely one of the best actors to play the part, in my opinion. Where we part ways is in the "running out of Doctors" comment. I suppose you're referring to the supposed 12 regeneration limit (at least I think it's 12). This is scifi and that little obstacle can be navigated around quicker than you can say "sonic screwdriver".

March 24 2007 at 1:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply