October 21, 2014

How I Met Your Mother on the bubble?

by Anna Johns, posted Mar 23rd 2007 9:04AM
how i met your motherI'm in denial even as I write this. Ausiello over at TV Guide has a scoop that appears to be about How I Met Your Mother, although he's not naming names just yet. He says the comedy may not be renewed because some stuffed suit over at CBS doesn't get it. Or, to quote Ausiello directly, the bigwig thinks HIMYM "is about as funny as a root canal." (What?!? You have to be dead if you don't find Barney funny) I wonder if this is the same decision-maker who keeps renewing The Unit?

Why do I suspect it's HIMYM? Because Ausiello gives a big hint, saying that the show in question was passed over for a major promotion earlier this season. That sounds an awful lot like how HIMYM got screwed out of the post-Super Bowl slot, doesn't it? Plus, there hasn't been any official word about a renewal for HIMYM so even if I'm wrong, it wouldn't hurt to send some support to the show.

Fans, it may be time for a rally. CBS has a feedback button on the bottom of its homepage where you can flood the network with love for Ted, Robin, Lily, Marshall and Barney.

*UPDATE: Here's the online petition. (Thanks, e!)

[Thanks for the tip, Steven!]

jing

pls pls don't cancel the show. the show is so funny. :(

May 15 2007 at 12:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

What victim, const? He was just using sarcasm to say that not liking "The Unit" DOESN'T make you unpatriotic. It's a television show, and everyone has the right to like or dislike a show, and even mention disliking it in a blog. Plus, like it or not, "The Unit" isn't exactly a critically-acclaimed darling. Yes, maybe critics don't represent "the everyman", but they do tend to recognize quality.

Of course, critically-acclaimed means nothing if people don't watch it (look at "Arrested Development", amongst others), so don't let Anna's or anyone else's opinions of a show prevent you from watching it, which will help to keep it on the air. Just like I hope the ratings for "HIMYM" will justify keeping it on the air (it was really doing solid numbers this until the last few weeks, and still out-performed CBS' much-hyped "Old Christine", which is a lock for renewal).

March 27 2007 at 4:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

Wow, how did I miss this when it was first posted. Thank You Kelly for bringing this to my attention in your recap.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! They can't cancel HIMYM!!!! I adore this show and it's one of the few bright spots on television right now. The writing is so clever and brilliant. They have found the right balance between the characters too. It's one of the few shows that makes us laugh out loud. It was an instant classic from day one.

I actually did the feedback to CBS, that's how much I love this show. I was so mad when Fox canceled Arrested Development that I swore I would never watch another sitcom on their channel so I might have to do the same with CBS if they cancel HIMYM.

So I moved HIMYM to the top of my Tivo Season Pass list since they track those things and publish them. It's a small thing but maybe it will help.

March 25 2007 at 2:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
justin

I agree with Jon, I've seen alot of HIMYM ads during the tournament.

However, to fuel the speculation, my cable box said Neil Patrick Harris was supposed to be on Conan tonight, but he was absent.

March 24 2007 at 1:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
eviltoothfairy01

How I Met Your Mother is my favorite show on TV right now, I really hope it doesn't get cancelled.

Just showing my support for this great show!

March 23 2007 at 9:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jon

Just saw a new March Madness (or new to me) promo for HIMYM on CBS, chock full of clips of Barney getting turned down by women at McLaren's.

Would CBS be doing new promos if the show was in trouble like we're thinking it is?

March 23 2007 at 8:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TomB

"I will never watch anything on CBS again if they cancel HIMYM. It's my favorite show on television."

Yes you will, Adrienne.

March 23 2007 at 7:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
const

ah, justin, spinning things to play the victim. good use of the ol' lib playbook.

March 23 2007 at 3:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mike

that petition is poorly worded, sounds very unprofessional

March 23 2007 at 3:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
josephprice

My note to CBS by clicking on their feedback link:

Hi CBS,

I just read that How I Met Your Mother was "on the bubble," as they say, and I wanted to send some support to the show. I discovered HIMYM this season and bought the first season DVD to catch up. I haven't missed an episode since, mostly by watching episodes online through Innertube. Canceling this show would devastate me, I'm invested in these characters and finding out Ted's story. I've already turned three friends on to this show and I hope to introduce more friends to HIMYM in Season 3.

Joseph Price