September 16, 2014

Six Degrees returns tonight, with changes

by Anna Johns, posted Mar 23rd 2007 2:24PM
six degrees
A love triangle, a hidden pregnancy, Josh Charles, and a quickened plot is what awaits viewers who tune in to Six Degrees when it returns tonight on ABC at 9 pm. The series was pulled from the scheduled way back in November when it wasn't holding on to the Grey's Anatomy audience on Thursday nights. Created by J.J. Abrams, the drama is about six New Yorkers and how their lives intersect. The ensemble cast includes Bridget Moynahan, Campbell Scott, and Erika Christenson.

Only, in my opinion, it was slow. And boring. And apparently ABC thought so too, because it gave the executive producers a few mandates for the next seven episodes.

In this interview with TV Guide, the producers for Six Degrees, Stuart Zicherman and Raven Metzner, talk about some of the changes they've worked into the show at ABC's behest. First of all, they've made it more "ABC friendly". That means a love triangle involving Campbell Scott, a new character played by Sports Night's Josh Charles, and a third unnamed actor (possibly Moynahan, whose real-life pregnancy will not be written into the show).

Also, they've identified their "McDreamy", as all ABC shows need to do these days, as Campbell Scott. "McSteamy", then, must be Josh Charles. And they've taken away the criminal storyline from Damian (Dorian Missick), because ABC didn't like it, and have sent him down a different path in search of Mae (Christensen). Mae's story is also changing, and her mysterious past and the person hunting her down is going to fade away.

The producers promise that, by the end of the next seven episodes, all of the characters' stories will have intersected and it'll be more of "a conventional soap."

It's a little sad, really, that the network is meddling so much in the direction of the show. But, at the same time, it was a very, very weak show. It just sounds like ABC has turned it into another one of its ensemble dramas. In the interview, the producers hold out hope that their show can be unique.

Lynne

I'm a little fuzzy, but I recall a different theme song. Can someone confirm? Also, if it is a different one, can someone provide the name of it? Thanks!

March 30 2007 at 12:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lynne

March 30 2007 at 12:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Katherine

WHY did they cut Six Degrees again?? I was looking forward to it but all thats on is some stupid show with an old man sitting on a pilar. So boring.

March 23 2007 at 9:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RedStarRevolution

I didn't mind the show when it was on, didn't love it, didn't hate it.

They better be running some kind of recap show because I have no idea where this all left off.

But knowing ABC that shouldn't be a problem, they love the clip shows.

March 23 2007 at 5:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Teddy

I thought the whole point of this show was to combine indie film actors with complex story lines to create a more-realistic-than-usual approach to life in New York.

I agree that the result was a little dull. But I can't see how they're going to save it with less realistic stories and soapy love triangles -- or by making a "McDreamy" out of Campbell Scott's depressive photographer. All they're going to end up with is a middle-aged version of "What About Brian."

March 23 2007 at 4:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TVSeriesFinale.com

It's amazing that the show has survived to return after almost five months off the air. How many others were yanked and never heard from again this season?

Will anyone even remember what the show was about. I'm betting tonight's show will start off with a really long "Previously on Six Degrees...."

March 23 2007 at 4:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BillS

Just a minor correction, J.J. Abrams is an executive producer and I think the show's under the Bad Robot production company, but Metzner and Zicherman are the creators.

March 23 2007 at 3:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anthony

So, I guess this mean when (and if) THE NINE returns we'll be dropping the whole "bank hostages" thing.

Tony

March 23 2007 at 3:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mike

jj did not create this crap, only is a producer, get your facts strait

March 23 2007 at 3:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pgwp

How sad is it if you yourself thought the show was boring in the first place?

I actually like the show, but personally I always felt that it WAS a traditional soap all along, and ABC mucked it up by letting people think of it as "serial drama," which is code for a show that is difficult to get into mid-stream, a la Lost or Heroes.

I was also finding the Damian/Mae/Jay Hernandez characters the most interesting--while at the same time feeling like the shooting thing was put into the pilot and then never convincingly made a part of Damian's character, and the Mae-on-the-run thing HAS felt a little tired. Action doesn't suit this show very well.

So I for one think the suits made good calls, at least in theory (need to see the shows first).

Is this show's fate sealed, though? Ultimately, who cares what plotlines get killed or reimagined if it's condemned to Friday nights after a five-month hiatus. Is ABC actually clinging to the possibility that this show could still show some spark?

March 23 2007 at 3:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply