November 26, 2014

Smallville: Combat

by Kevin Kelly, posted Mar 23rd 2007 7:34AM
Smallville: Combat
(S06E17)
You know you're in for a very special Smallville when it starts out with a WWF-style cage match, an extremely gratuitous shot of some very large boobs, and an all-out brawl between Clark and a Zoner who seems stronger than he is. It's like a Bizarro world version of the show starring everyone's favorite Kryptonian. Zowie.

Basically, it's Fight Club meets Smallville meets ... well, Superheroes Gone Wild. Toss in Lois chomping at the bit for a story, and you've got half the makings of a regular old episode of Lois & Clark, or is it just me? Although I don't remember Teri Hatcher donning red leather and claiming to be a wayward stripper from down the street who has a penchant for loving the ladies. Plus, did you catch the way Lois claimed she does a killer "Stars and Stripes" routine? Hello throwback to an old episode.

The bottom line is: we want more knock-down, all-out, hard-fisted fights on this show. Remember when super-powered Lex and Clark duked it out? That seems like ages ago. Plus, Clark and Titan were pretty much just punching each other with a little super-strength behind themselves. Why not go to the extreme and use your heat-vision, super-speed, and anything else you've got at your disposal? I mean, Titan had that weird claw-thing up his arm. I was wondering if it could even puncture Clark's skin ... but then it skewered Titan's so I guess that answered that question. What was that thingamajig anyhow?

Anyhow, the subplot in this episode was sort of a wash. Something happens with Lex and Lana's baby, although it's unclear what (we all know we aren't done with that storyline), and we find out that Lex (of course) was the puppeteer behind the online fight club shenanigans. At least we see Clark struggling with his emotions over killing someone, even if it was indirectly. Plus it's all a direct result of Lana being blackmailed into marrying Lex, and Clark being on the receiving end of snubsville. Martha tells Clark he has to deal with his anger, Lex burns some baby files, and we're on to next week.

No preview at my end here on the West Coast. Anyone else? I know that next week is a pretty Chloe-intensive story, with her finding out some things about her mom, but we're loving the Allison Mack lately ... so bring it on.

Quote of the show:
  • "Clark, slow down! I don't have enough money to hire a full-time maid to clean up every time you decide to blow in."

gen

This episode was nothing compared to the last episode, this one was just a regular smallville thing.. 5/10.. i hate this stupid lana & lex thing.. its buggin me. jus get a divorce and go off with clark.. i dont like the idea of lois and clark getin togeva YET. i think lana and clark should get one more shot wen she knows his secret.. i would wanna see what would happen.. wt abt chloe.. ? i thought she had a love life too :|.. lol.. Last thing.. i wanna see clark find out about lex threatning lana. That would make a great episode. :D

March 27 2007 at 9:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MK

Fans of Smallville keep in mind you want the show to take on different story lines. You don't want to follow the same old story line of the Superman Movie Back in late 1970's & early 80's, and last 3 Movies in the 80's just got corny, and the Lois & Clark TV show which was getting corny story lines. The new superman movie which came out last year made Clark, more Alien Feelings which is wrong; he was raised from Birth as earthling. He should have strong feeling for Lana its is childhood sweet heart. You don't want the show to take on corny story lines and follow the old writing. You want to make it more 2007. Hopefully Lex Just took Lana's Baby; it turns out to Clark kid with Powers. You want new things to Happen. Clarke should have involved with Chloe she turning out to be one Hot girl. Even if he end up with Lois their should be a lot more fun before that happens. Just think he can have Lana, Chloe or Lois, You can do so much with this show, stop looking back on old story lines.

March 24 2007 at 1:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cat

Smallville has been driving me crazy. I'm really not enjoying the love triangle story. It really bugs me because Clark is too obsessed with Lana and for me the love of his life is LOIS, end of story.

I want to see the things that make Clark into SUPERMAN. I want to see Clark using all his powers. I want more of Lex vs. Clark, when Lex is doing his evil thing it's good.

Lay off the love plot and move on, Clark should be dealing with his emotions on a larger scale, like his remorse for the zoners death, his care of all mankind, that's why he's going to be the greatest super hero because he care so much for us humans.

March 24 2007 at 12:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kink

"I don't remember Teri Hatcher donning red leather and claiming to be a wayward stripper from down the street who has a penchant for loving the ladies"

True though street walking, red leather clad hooker is pretty darn close ;)

March 23 2007 at 11:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

No preview here either. Must be a repeat next week then.

March 23 2007 at 2:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andrew

Wait, how many years have to pass before people stop calling it WWF?

March 23 2007 at 2:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Milo Bigsby

Did anyone else notice that Lex was crying at the end of the episode. If you still have the tivo'd check it out. Through the fire you could clearly make out a tear going down his left cheek. (at least in HD)

March 23 2007 at 1:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vince

I thought this show rocked. Not too much Lana / baby mystery and plenty o'super powers for me.

Lex didn't finance the fightclub that I could tell. He was just chasing mutants I think.

Put Lois in red leather every week please.

March 23 2007 at 1:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Happy Monkey

Yeah, Lex had nothing to do with the fight club.

March 23 2007 at 12:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BillS

Wait, Lex was the puppetteer behind the online Fight Club shennanigans? I thought he just happened to see it and send his minions to try to capture or recruit Titan because he had awesome powers.

March 23 2007 at 9:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply