July 28, 2014

The new Stargate series now has a name

by Richard Keller, posted Mar 24th 2007 6:02PM

coming soon -- Stargate UniverseMore news is coming out about the third Stargate series that is currently under development. According to our friends at Gateworld (we're just saying they're our friends -- they may despise us) the show now has a working title. The name is . . . drum roll, please . . . Stargate Universe.

That's actually just the working title, according to executive producer Robert C. Cooper. It sounds like a decent title anyway, and they aren't making the mistake like Paramount did when they named the last Star Trek series just Enterprise. Editorial over, back to the story. Cooper says that the new program was originally conceived as a stand-alone movie, something that would fit into the scope of the Stargate universe. However,Cooper and producer Brad Wright were able to tweak the idea enough to turn the concept into a weekly series to the glee of the studios.

Universe will be set in the current Stargate continuity but, according to Robert, it will not relate to anything that has been in any previous series. In other words, there's probably a slim chance that you'll see any crossover from older sibling Stargate Atlantis. As to when the show will air, Cooper says he and Wright will concentrate on the Universe pilot after wrapping principal photography on the two new SG-1 movies in June.

Bash

As long as the new series doesn't involve time travel I am fine with everything ;-)

And anyone who thinks RDA should be back should take a look at the 200th episode of SG-1. Man was I disappointed by that one. It really lacked good writing. The Ori storyline wasn't good enough to keep SG-1 alive. It's sad that the character developing episodes were better than the ones focusing on the Ori storyline. The best episode this season for me was Cameron's highschool reunion and that's saying a lot considering this kind of episodes in the past were the ones people considered moneysavers to save up for CGI shots in the Goa'Uld storyline.

But at least SG-1 never looked as cheap as Enterprise did. Or as idiotic (you know, time travel 'n everything :-) )

March 25 2007 at 10:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TomB

I agree David, they keep re-inventing shows with the same old producers, writers, etc.

Start with a clean slate!! I wish they had done that with Star Trek.

March 25 2007 at 3:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

I think seasons 9 and 10 are good and getting better. They are certainly a fresh change after the depressing season 8, but they still don't match up with the show at it's peak.

March 25 2007 at 12:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jordan

Personally, I LOVE Atlantis, and SG-1 would be fine if not for Ori (theres enough bad guys without making someone knew). I love the Valla character!!

I hope Carter's arrival on Atlantis doesn't make it jump the shark. Let her go away!!! We don't need the old show, let the Star Gate-verse live on its own.

P.S. Where are the Furlings!!!!!

March 25 2007 at 3:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bloobie

For a moment there, I thought they had renamed SG: Atlantis to SG: Daedalus considering how often that ship pops in to save the day. :)

March 25 2007 at 1:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phil

In my opinion, Stargate Sg-1 jumped the shark with season 10. Watching lasts episodes made me feel like I was watching a soap. I really think the writers focused way too much on character relationship.

But I don't know why, "I am cautiously optimistic" as Jake said, about this new serie !

March 24 2007 at 10:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lilricky

dana, 2 things, first, dont type in caps, second, hes been back in quite a few episodes. Live with it.

March 24 2007 at 10:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
A.S

I don't know about the rest of you, but I find Stargate: Atlantis much better than SG-1 post-RDA.

I'm optimistic by default about this series too, but I can't make any kind of judgement since we have no idea what the premise of the show is other than the title.

March 24 2007 at 9:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DONNNA

I STOPPED WATCHING STARGATE WHEN RICHARD DEAN ANDERSON WAS NO LONGER IN THE SERIES. DON'T CARE FOR THE NEW GUY WHO TOOK HIS PLACE. BRING ANDERSON BACK.

March 24 2007 at 9:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Another Stargate show by the same people, yeah this will work as well as Star Trek.

Hire new people! They have already destroyed SG-1, and donig a horrible job with Atlantis, but hell let them make a new show!

I think the new show might return to Showtime because MGM hates Sci-fi channel.

"They aren't making the mistake like Paramount did when they named the last Star Trek series just Enterprise."

Yes, because that's the reason why Enterprise failed. :-p