October 1, 2014

What are your Top 15 channels?

by Anna Johns, posted Mar 24th 2007 12:01PM
channelsAccording to this report in the NY Daily News, the average household gets more than 100 television channels. Even with all the choices, viewers pretty much stick to about 15 channels. Obviously, that grouping of channels varies by viewer. I'd be interested to know what the most popular channel on television is and what is least popular (probably cable access or C-SPAN).

That number actually sounds about right to me, although I would say my range is more like 20 channels. I've listed my Top 15 below, in order of most-watched... what are your top channels?

NBC
Comedy Central
CBS
ABC
FOX
F/X
HGTV
TLC
Discovery
Sci Fi
MSNBC (for Olbermann)
TBS (for reruns when I'm bored)

TNT (for movies when I'm too lazy to put in a DVD)
Cartoon Network
E! (for The Soup)

[Via Pop Candy]

PeteL

Fox HD(House, 'Til Death, The Loop, American Dad, Family Guy, Are you Smarter than a 5th Grader, Fox25 news)
CBS HD(HIMYM, Jericho)
The Discovery Networks (Discovery/TLC/Science/Travel/Animal Planet/Military Channel/Discovery HD Theater) (Mythbusters, FutureWeapons, Dirty Jobs, How it's Made)
NESN HD (Boston Bruins Hockey in HD)
ABC HD (October Road - Donna from That 70s Show)
NBC HD (Dateline NBC)
PBS (Antiques Roadshow)
HGTV (What's with THAT House?, Cash in the Attic, What you get for the Money, World's Most Extreme Homes, Look what I did
inDemand HD
Encore HD (inDemand movies)
NECN (24 Hour Regional New England news channel)
Nickelodeon Networks Nick/NickToons (My son likes Power Rangers, Jimmy Neutron, Avatar: The Last Airbender {Ok I like this one too})
Disney Channel (More Kids Stuff - American Dragon, Kim Possible)
History (Various)
National Geographic HD (Is it Real?, Explorer)

March 27 2007 at 3:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rick

ESPN (Sportscenter, PTI, Live Sports)
CBS (How I Met Your Mother; Jericho, CSI; Live Sports)
FOX (Prison Break; 24; Family Guy; Live Sports)
FSN (Live Sports)
ESPN2 (Live Sports)
DISC (Mythbusters; random educational)
SPIKE (CSI Reruns)
TBS (Comedy Reruns; Live Baseball)
NFL (NFL News; Live Sports)
ABC (Desperate Housewives; Live Sports)
NBC (Heroes; Office; Live Sports)
FOOD (Good Eats)
TNT (Drama Reruns; Live Sports)
HIS (Random Educational)
F/X (Shield)

Give me the above and the internet, and I would have no need for anything else. Considering four (five back home in Atlanta) of those channels are OTA, I am coming to the painful realization that America's Top 200 has a lot of filler past fifteen.

March 26 2007 at 12:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nick Stanziani

CBS
ABC
NBC
ESPN
History Channel
Comedy Central
TV Land
Weather Channel
Fox
National Geographic
Travel Channel
Fox Soccer
SportsNet NY (I am a NY Mets fan)
USA
Food Network

March 26 2007 at 10:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tobor2001

just confirming my comments

March 26 2007 at 1:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim

Channels? What are these channels of which you speak? My TiVo is set for various programs and I then watch them in any order. TiVo is my channel.

Seriously, however, I agree with those who would like to buy their cable ala cart. I'd love to dump all the sports channels to start with. Interesting that only three of the twenty comments so far list ESPN.

If I had to come up with a list of 15:

Comedy Central
CBS
NBC
ABC (only for Ugly Betty and Lost)
USA
F/X
Discovery
Sci Fi
MSNBC (also just for Olbermann)
TCM
Cartoon Network
Bravo (guilty pleasures like Project Runway)
HBO
Local News Channel (I have friends working there)
TNT (if I absolutely had to pick a 15th)

March 25 2007 at 12:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

CW
MTV
E!
Brovo

March 25 2007 at 1:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Goody

NBC (Friday Night Lights"
FOX (House)

AMC
Fox
A&E
NBC

March 24 2007 at 10:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nicki

While we're adding comments, I just notice I left the word "subtitles" out of my sentence about how I watch the SciFi channel.

March 24 2007 at 10:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply