December 17, 2014

Saturday Night Live: Peyton Manning/Carrie Underwood - VIDEOS

by Annie Wu, posted Mar 25th 2007 12:32PM
Peyton and Carrie(S32E16) I know nothing about football. I know nothing about Peyton Manning. He's an athlete, right? Okay. I didn't expect much from him, since the majority of sports-related guests of the past have done poorly. To my surprise, Peyton did relatively well. I think this was partially due to the fact that the writing did not demand too much from him. Although this was a smart move to not make Peyton look like an idiot, it resulted in a mediocre episode.

Cold Open ("Message from the President"): This was funny, but not a particularly strong opening. The way Fred Armisen kind of squished his face gave him an uncanny resemblance to Alberto Gonzalez, though. Weird.

Monologue: Throughout the entire family introduction, I was waiting for one of the SNL players to stand up and do a joke, but I guess Peyton was really trying to be sweet. This was a very, very straightforward monologue. A little sports joke here, a little sports joke there, just to excite the football-lovers in the place.

"Peyton Manning and Kids": Haha, I found this hilarious... but then again, I'm a sadistic psychomaniac.

"Bronx Beat": I still fail to find this really funny, but others seem to enjoy it. Not my cup of tea, I suppose. More footage of kids getting hit with footballs, please!

"ESPN's NCAA Tournament Pool Party": I think the whole reason why they did this sketch in the first place was as an excuse to do those jabs at Peyton. What a good sport that guy is.

"Penelope": Oh, my God. I know a Penelope -- no, I know multiple Penelopes.

"Saturday TV Funhouse: Maraka": This was such a wonderfully weird take on Dora the Explorer. My favorite lines included "Can you tell me how to check for a hernia?" and "Can you tell me if this person's a girl or a guy?" and "Do you know why my father left me?" I also loved the existentialist touch at the end.

"Locker Room": This was good, light-hearted fun. Peyton's dance out of the room was quite adorable.

"Weekend Update": Senator Tim Calhoun! We haven't seen this fellow in ages. That voice gets me every time. I've made that "Jack Abramoff? I hardly know Abram" joke! Now I'm going to have to stop doing it because it's been on TV. Sigh. There was a problem with the "Zoo News" bit. Fact-check, kids! It wasn't a sloth that was euthanized, Seth, it was a sloth bear. Huge difference. Also, I'm probably a little late in noticing this, but every time that they need to start doing a news piece that will be interrupted by a skit, like in the American Idol bit (Dan Akroyd cameo!), they start talking about a tree frog study.

"300": Oh, come on. I can't believe they devoted an entire sketch to that one joke. They must have been desperate to fill time.

"Coffee on the Porch": Despite the fact that this was pretty much a straight-forward sit-down recitation of jokes, I liked it because of its weirdness.

"Mercedes 550": A meatloaf oven in a car? What a random commercial to make. I didn't really care for it.

"Nike Air Force One": I like to think that all of the SNL boys really play basketball like that.

Carrie Underwood: Her music's not really my scene, but I think she did okay. What was that gold, metallic thing she was wearing? Was it an obscenely short skort? Or a headband?

April 14: Host Shia LaBeouf! Ahh! I'm so excited! I used to watch him all the time when he was on the Disney Channel's Even Stevens. As for musical guest Avril Lavigne, I've never been a fan. Actually, I kind of hate her. Actually, I kind of started bleeding from the ears when I saw her name. Actually, I kind of want to kill myself.

sara

does anybody know where i can see the penelope video?

April 16 2007 at 5:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Missy

Kristen Wiig is SO funny in her Penelope character. I hope that is a recurring character. I was laughing out loud and I had the stomach flu!!

And I know nothing about sports, but Peyton Manning was one of the best guest hosts I've seen in a long time. The guy is a football quarterback, right? But he is a fantastic actor and comedian! I was totally impressed with him.

March 28 2007 at 2:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Curtis

Regarding Shia LaBeouf I would think he's best known for his leading roles in "Holes" and to a lesser extent "The Greatest Game Ever Played."

March 27 2007 at 12:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

Yeah, "Disturbia" opens in a few weeks, and Shia LaBeouf is also one of the main (human) characters in the new "Transformers" movie. He's also been rumoured to be playing Indy Jr. in the new "Indiana Jones" movie, but nothing's confirmed on that one.

I was a little surprised by how many fake commercials there were in this episode. Usually you'll see one after the monologue, and maybe another one near the end as a time-filler, but three?

Of course, the funniest part of the show was the first commercial, and it's always good to see Calhoun (it hasn't been that long since we've seen him, though -- he was on just before the fall elections, running for "Senator of America"). Again, there wasn't much Andy in the live stuff. Either he's too busy working with his Lonely Island cohorts on digital stuff, or he's just always in the sketches that get cut after rehearsal.

March 26 2007 at 2:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

FYI to the poster who doesn't know who Shia LaBeouf is.... he has been in many movies, not just the Disney channel. Try movies like Charlies Angels Full Throttle, Constantine, Bobby, and I Robot. He's been in others but I figured those were movies people should know. He's an up and coming young actor that seems to be one of Hollywood's "it" guys right now. He's probably promoting his new movie "Disturbia" which is a modern day "Rear Window". I think that opens in a week or two.

March 25 2007 at 9:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bryan Price

I haven't watched SNL since... college it feels like. Although it has to have been sooner. 25 years is a long time. Probably close to the same for my wife.

Even though we both knew the alarm was set for 7AM, we watched the whole show and enjoyed it. I don't remember the host being in so many skits, but it's been awhile as I've said. I thought Peyton did a very good job, especially for an athlete. Maybe my expectations were too low. <shrug>

March 25 2007 at 9:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Georgia

I liked watching Peyton (huge Manning fan here). I loved his monologue and thought he did well.

I wonder what Olivia thought of some of the jokes!! A pig's vagina??

I forgot it was Peyton's 31st birthday.

On SNL, their jokes seem to have a constant refrain on bodily functions. Do many people in high school watch SNL? Surely, that's the only age group that would find toilet jokes funny.

BTW, from a post above, I did not know the host picks the musical guest.

March 25 2007 at 6:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

P.S. Carrie Underwood looked and sounded great. She is the only musical guest this season I have watched without fast-forwarding -- including the Shins.

March 25 2007 at 5:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Andy Samberg's Sanjaya was the best part of the show.

I liked seeing Tim Calhoun again. He definitely had a different vibe this time around -- very uncouth.

March 25 2007 at 5:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply