October 31, 2014

The Simpsons: Homerazzi

by Adam Finley, posted Mar 25th 2007 9:08PM

simpsons(S18E16) I often counter anti-Simpsons bromides by telling people that no series can be perfect all the time, but I think there's a part of me that still expects perfection. I'm like a mother that knows her child isn't perfect, and yet feels let down when they falter, because damn it, I know they're better than that.

I probably could have come up with a better analogy, but it's too late now, I'm already on the second paragraph. The thing is: I liked this episode. It made me laugh, and it had a ton of great gags, and plenty were "pause button worthy." It just didn't feel "full," you know? Of course, the first indication should have been the extra-long opening sequence showing Homer evolving as he treks to his house to sit with his family on the couch. When you see a long couch gag, you know they were a little short on the episode length that week.

There were so many "moments" I loved in this episode: Marge crying when the family album burned because it was record of her accomplishments, like a resume is to a man; the "Happy 1987" photo where the family looked like the old versions of themselves; the stem cell fajitas at the celebs' party; and Drederick Tatum snorting Secretariat's ashes. It was also nice to see J.K. Simmons back as the fast-talking magazine editor, and did anyone else notice Flanders' old Hollywood girlfriend in the scene where all the celebs are gathered around the table?

So I watched The Simpsons and laughed pretty hard for half an hour. It didn't cost me a thing, so I can't complain too much. Still, that maternal side of me knows this episode could have been better, that the best episodes are more than just a lot of funny gags. Then again, maybe this was always intended as a silly episode with no serious point. I think what we can all agree on is that this is the most wishy-washy episode review I've ever written.

kevin

yeah i was just thinking for a episode where homer and marge get divorced and fight and in the end they get back together or were the are divorced for ever

May 05 2007 at 12:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John C.

Lmao.
Taking up space on FOX... good one

March 28 2007 at 10:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dennis

This show is dumb, always will be dumb! Good for taking up space on Fox TV!

March 28 2007 at 6:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
beanspants1

the simpsons have been funny in the last 10 years, and the first few were good, but the show has changed since then.

"Simpsons go to Africa" and "Bart Gets Fat" are 2 great episodes-among the best-- less than 10 years old.

March 26 2007 at 4:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kevjohn

Perfect? Are you kidding? "The Simpsons" hasn't been truly funny in 10 years! What show have you been watching lately, and does it bear any resemblance to the first 2 or 3 years of the show?

This may have been the best episode in years, but it was certainly not the Sipmsons at their peak.

March 26 2007 at 11:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Renee

The beginning was brilliant. Enough said.

March 26 2007 at 10:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Spectacular Bid

Did I see correctly that when Homer goes into the hip-club with the celebs doing dirty things - that someone was snorting Secretariat's ashes? I swear I saw the urn labeled with the late-Triple Crown horse's name.

March 26 2007 at 8:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cat

I loved the long intro, and the whole episode. I was cracking up throughout.

March 25 2007 at 11:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
beanspants1

i agree about the ipod joke gavin. that was perhaps one of the worst writing moments on the simpsons ever. it was like the writers just gave up on that bit.

too bad too, because the stem cell fajitas and a few other individual jokes were ok.

March 25 2007 at 11:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tweaq

I just had to post because of Danny's comment. Nice "plug". I think think was another good episode, not great or outstanding but good. I laughed at some parts, not at others. And Betty White was awesome.

March 25 2007 at 10:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply