December 22, 2014

24: 8:00pm -- 9:00pm

by Meredith O'Brien, posted Mar 26th 2007 11:45PM

Mike Doyle on 24(S06E15) *Warning, spoilers from recent episode ahead*

It's really sad when the best part of a show is the last minute of a program, when you have to slog through 59 minutes of other material of so-so quality that seems very much like filler in order to get to something good.

That's how I felt about this new episode of 24. Did anyone in their right mind really believe that Nadia was a mole? Of course not, but I didn't expect her story to be resolved so quickly and simply, in less than an hour.

I also didn't expect, nor did I welcome, that weirdly awkward moment between Mike "The Brawler" Doyle and Milo Pressman when Milo found out that, geez, that Doyle guy isn't as gosh darned mean as he thought he was.

The episode, overall, had an "off" quality.

A lot of the "off-ness," I think had to do with Jack Bauer. He spent most of the episode at the home of a private sector security consultant who was using his Rain Man-like brother Brady, who was a whiz at computers (not counting cards), to do work for the former Russian General Gredenko. (Gredenko, as you all remember, was working with the "bad" terrorist, Abu Fayed, to drop nuclear bombs on the United States.) Jack, looking to capture Gredenko so he could locate the remaining two suitcase nuclear bombs, used Brady as a means to nab Gredenko before taking the Russian into custody and securing info on the location of the next two bombing targets.

But the scenes with Jack and Brady were just plain awful. Jack was all patronizing and breathy. Same way he is with Marilyn Bauer. (Only Brady didn't try to kiss Jack.) And to top it off, the actor playing Brady ripped off Dustin Hoffman's Raymond Babbitt. All I needed was for Brady to mention Judge Wapner and my night would've been complete.

Back at CTU, Nadia Yassir was cleared after it was discovered that the terrorist headset guy working with Gredenko in the last episode to control the nuke-carrying drone had infiltrated Nadia's computer with a remote access module. And, boy, did Nadia feel betrayed and angry, so angry in fact, that she and Milo did some passionate/angry necking in a darkened CTU hallway while Chloe O'Brian scowled and watched from afar.

The whole White House power struggle didn't get interesting until the end. We all knew, courtesy of the spoiler-filled episode promos, that President Wayne Palmer's sister Sandra was going to authorize doctors to take him out of his medically-induced coma in order to stop Vice President Noah Daniels from launching a nuclear strike against the Country Whose Name We Shall Not Mention. But we still had to go through the motions where National Security Advisor Karen Hayes pressured Sandra to take the president out of the coma so he could countermand Daniels.

The best moment was in the presidential bunker's Situation Room, after the saber rattling, tough guy Daniels ordered the nuclear strike "to remind the world that there are consequences for attacking our country." But the admiral then said he'd been ordered to stand down. Daniels then got a call from the president. Who was awake. And surprisingly lucid for someone who'd just come out of a coma, but I was willing to suspend disbelief and roll with it, given that this was the best that this particular hour of 24 had to offer. "The decision is mine and mine alone," said Palmer, in the most commanding posture he'd taken all season, even if it was taken from a hospital bed. "I'm resuming my duties as commander in chief."

Then, when we all expected Daniels to start stamping his feet in a temper tantrum and smacking Chief of Staff Tom Lennox around just for fun, there was a twist: Daniels decided the president should be declared incapable of "discharging his duties." "I can't let him remain in power," demonic Daniels said. "Get me the attorney general."

Obviously the doctor who's treating Palmer will conclude that he's lucid, as will Hayes and any number of other people. How Daniels could successfully orchestrate this could either be entertaining or eye rolling. I'm hoping for option number one.

And, for all of those Sandra Palmer fans out there, I thought she was pretty good tonight. Her scenes were a heck of a lot better than those with Jack and Brady.

Delta

Well out of "nowhere" comes a stroke to disable Palmer and put Daniels back into the Oval office.

Thats at least interesting. Mr. Evil AGainst Mr Good ( Jack) who has lost his mind at this point and No President in their right minds would have entrusted the means to a Third world War based on a persons word , EVEN IF ITS Our man Jack.

That damn Audrey. Nothing but trouble .

Its now stretching things but Daniels will be in pursuit and maYBE WE WILL Have an exciting time for the restof the longest day on the planet

April 17 2007 at 2:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Delta

What did I say? I knew Audrey would never stay dead. Especially now we have the bombs we need a new plot to peek interest.

I never liked her charater as my former posts have indicaated

Now will it be Daniels or Palmer in the big seat? Will we see Jack all coo co over try9ing to save Audrey Phooey.

I am now sick to death of this kind of writing.

You all have your opinions I will go vote for Sanjayha Ha Ha

April 09 2007 at 10:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Delta

C>C. Thisshow could get back on track if they would let Jack do his thing. Fly higher then the highest Mountain Leap tall buildings at a single bound. Catch the baddies and torture them without mercy. Give Marilyn Bauer what she wants, a paternity test to prove its Jack that has the right bullets not Graham Cracker Bauer

Get rid of Milo he is a weak character and worthless. I say shoot him as a spy cause someone is messing around at CTU and I don't mean playing with the others. Give Morris a night with his love Clohe. That may make her smile
Send Nadia to the jungle to play with Nardia, she has no pizazz
Ricky Schroder should go find another series like Lonesome Dove,he is no CTU guy too soft already.
I like Bill Buchancan and think he should be given the opotunity to toture someone,maybe Milo.
Find the mole and name it Lunesta because it is putting us to sleep and butterflies are a nice distraction

I make as much sense as this years plot

April 03 2007 at 1:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Delta

What now my friends? We have an episode right outof The Fugitive. The one armed man who can run for miles without dying until the end of the our,if indeed he is dead.

We have a President who is going to stroke out next week from trying to be President if the Trailer is to be trusted.
Then the Weasel Lennox becomes the heroe? I guess it was time for him to turn on Daniels and get back at him for all those hours oops I mean minute of torture he suffered for wanting the same thing Daniels wants.
I am deeply depressed we don't have a real President but a lame head who now is striking out at a country. Hey what country is it? Russia? Iran? Iraq?

Good grief we have to take notes to keep up.

Clohe never smiles and Nadia is suspicious to me.

I am confused I thank Ineed a drink of Jack Daniels and Now.

April 02 2007 at 11:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Delta

Are we now watching The One Armed Fugitive? Give me a break please.

Everyone knows we are facing a grim situation with Palmer stroking out Then we have to believe Gredenko can go for miles with one arm chopped off? Give us a break.

April 02 2007 at 10:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

Con-I think that Jack and his "secret agent" family had been keeping tabs on the so-called "Patriots" for a long time, probably for over a decade in the "24 universe". Philip and Graem Bauer had infiltrated the "Patriots" through their "front" corporation, which dealt with the disposal of nuclear weapons. Jack had staged a "break" with his family early on, pretending to go against the grain, so he could be an open, mainstream federal agent. But I believe that he and his family were feeding each other vital information clandestinely.

At the end of season 4, Jack was forced into hiding as a result of the Chinese Consolate debacle. The White House, under new Prez Logan, sent someone to kill Jack at CTU, but Jack managed to elude his would-be murderer by faking his own death. Why would Logan possibly want Jack dead? In order to clear his name and uncover what was really going on with Logan, Jack turned to his family. This may sound strange, but I think Graem, despite the fact he was Jack's brother, used his "Patriot" connections to bribe and seduce the not-too-brilliant and gullible Logan, and to set him up for a fall. My theory on last season is that Jack wasn't entirely in the dark on what was happening-because Graem had been giving him heads-ups.

I'm not sure about the Chad Lowe character. I think he may be a "good mole" that was placed among the "Patriots". Or he could be a turncoat "Patriot".

March 30 2007 at 7:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allan

Thanks C.C. (50): very creative, and kinda credible. I'll be watching next week with your remarks in mind.

Can I assume that the Chad Lowe character is part of this "Patriot" crew? And I have to ask (and not to be argumentative: why was brother Graem stage-managing Pres Logan's nasty deads last year? I mean, I had the impression that he and Logan were up to some pretty awful, American-killing stuff.

March 30 2007 at 5:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

Con-My answers to your questions:

Jack did not shoot the Russians in the consolate.
He didn't cut off Markov's finger. He didn't torture his brother. And why Graem freaked out when Dad "injected him"? I suspect they were being watched via a secret video camera and they had to make the fake killing look real.

The reason Jack and his allies are play-acting to the degree they are is that they are under heavy surveillance by the "Patriots", "fascists", or what ever you would like to call this corrupt government faction. These evildoers have planted bugs and moles everywhere to track every movement that everyone associated with Jack makes. So everyone involved in this scheme to take down the "Patriots" has had to stay in their "roles" at all times.

My theory on Jack's federal agent family comes from a personal experience. I went to school with a kid whose three older brothers were in Criminal Justice. He would tell stories about them, about how they lived undercover, and how their lives were constantly in danger. He couldn't wait to grow up and join them.

It doesn't make sense that Jack comes from a family of corporate movers and shakers that he broke away from. It's much more likely that he followed in his father's federal agent footsteps.

March 30 2007 at 1:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allan

What's with all this hand-wringing about the nuclear attack? That was like sooooo fifteen hours ago.

What I want to know is whether Chloe is feeling a tad jealous about this Milo and Nadia thing (if so, there could be some real fireworks!).
And is the blonde kid really Jack's son?
Or could he be Ricky's? Yikes.
Is Audrey really dead, or just wrapping up another series?
Is Morris really British, or just some Canadian putting on airs?
Are Ricky's jowls real, or an important plot device? (They make him look kinda like Mrs. Logan: I see another plot twist coming!)
Is Mrs. Logan now restricted to only using chopsticks?
Are there any more Palmer brothers lurking around to be next year's President? Can't imagine life without one.
Will Bill Buchanan ever get to torture someone?
Will Nadia bring the ACLU on site to launch legal action?
Will CTU ever get a decent decorator?

C'mon folks, this show has more nifty unanswered questions than Lost! Bomb shomb.

March 29 2007 at 7:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allan

Don't knock The Man From U.N.C.L.E.

March 29 2007 at 5:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply