September 2, 2014

Ron Jaworski replaces Joe Theismann in Monday Night Football booth

by Joel Keller, posted Mar 26th 2007 5:22PM
Ron JaworskiIt only took ESPN 20 years to see the error of their ways. But they have finally -- finally! -- replaced Joe Theismann as their main NFL game analyst. According to TV Week, former Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Ron Jaworski will join Mike Tirico and Tony Kornheiser in the Monday Night Football booth for the upcoming football season. According to a network official, they are in talks with Theismann to put him in "another high-profile football role." Let's hope that role is somewhere in the studio, laughing at yet another Chris Berman nickname.

Why the vitrol towards Theismann? Because for 19 seasons on Sunday nights and last year on MNF, he spewed opinions and analysis that often came from just north of his rear end. But not only was he wrong most of the time, he said his boneheaded analysis with the most arrogant tone imaginable, making it sound like every word out of his mouth is an absolute truth.

"Jaws," on the other hand, has always given illustrative and thoughtful analysis on any show he's been on. During the rare occasions that he's been in the booth for a game, he's done a good job of letting the play on the field speak for itself, and never rammed his opinion down the viewers' throats. He was pretty much the anti-Theismann, and I'll be looking forward to hearing him in the booth this year.

JIM R-NO

Personally, I like Joe. We needed someone to replace Howard Cosell. Joe did that for me. I consider joe to be far better than some one discribes a game in terms that even a woman would find demeaning. To my way of thinking, John Madden is totally overrated, especially compared to Joe. And Tony Butt-hizer, I can't even believe that this guy even made it into the selection process for MNF. Dennis Miller was far more entertaining. I do like Jaws, and would have like to see him replace Tony Whats-his-face. I would like to see an unbias pole as to who likes Joe verses Tony!
ESPN - 8 the Ho-cho channel (DODGE BALL, the movie), should have poled the tv viewing audience for their true feelings, as I don't believe this represents a true representation of such. As far as I am concern, Tony K. is just as bad as a Al Sharpten.
Yes, there are those who are better than Joe, but then that could also apply to any one else but with out a doubt, To Tony Korn-who-blows-his-own-horn. Dang, I really hate that guy.

April 23 2007 at 7:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JayDizzle

Joe "Nine-Lives-Mann" is done. First Michael "Cokey " Irvin, now this. Good moves by ESPN. Daa-Daa-Daa,Daa-Daa-Daa.

April 01 2007 at 4:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric Phister

Finally! This is a great day for all NFL fans who have had to endure Theismans pompous rants for the past decade. My ears would bleed listening to the same self-serving comments and obvious observations he would make. No more muting the TV and listening to the radio broadcasters. Kudos to ESPN for clipping Joe...next, Kornball.

March 27 2007 at 6:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dee

I've been following Ron since his Eagles days. He is informative and energetic. A great guy to watch.

March 27 2007 at 2:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bgdc

Thank god! I want to vomit whenever Theismann talks. He's pro-QB too a ridiculous degree. Even worse, the man has the biggest crush ever on Peyton Manning. Everything Peyton does is gold as far as Peyton is concerned. I feel like screaming at the TV, "Just go suck his c0ck already and get it over with, Joe!!!"

March 27 2007 at 2:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jo

Joe is good but was not that good on MNF.

Jo

March 27 2007 at 12:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

Good Riddance!! Joe Theisman is an arrogant bastard and MNF is much better off without him!! I had the opportunity to attend an event where Joe was speaking not long after he got out of the game. I was working with the event promoters back stage and I couldn't believe what a self centered, egotistical SOB Joe was to be around. I have absolutely no respect for people like that!! He is not the kind of role model I would ever want anyone I care about modeling any part of their lives after this jerk. Shame on you Joe!

I have met many true heroes of sports and frankly the trait I most admire is their humility. Big egos just get in the way and turn most guys into first class asses. We fans are much better off without the self serving jerks who care about no one but themselves. I put Joe Theisman in the same class as Terrell Owens - he's that bad. Monday Night Football has already lost much of its lustre without Al Michaels and his partners in the broadcast booth. I tuned into only one game last season - not because of the generally poor matchups on the field but because of the sorry squad I would have had to listen to in the box each and every week! At least now I won't have to listed to an egocentric, overrated QB who was never among the greats of the game blow his hot air for three plus hours!!!

One down, one more to go!!! Kornheiser YOU'RE NEXT!!!

March 26 2007 at 11:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Randy

This is a great move by ESPN. Jaws and Kornheiser get along great (Jaws is often on the show during the "5 Good Minutes" segment to preview the NFL weekend).

March 26 2007 at 10:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Clint

Really, I always kinda found him informative. I mean, at times he did sound pompus, but in that both I had a far more difficult time listening to Turnover Tony. But I guess I could understand how he rubs people the wrong way with his attitude.

March 26 2007 at 8:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sam

Clint, you're the first person I've ever met who has had anything other than searing hatred for Theisman. Seriously, they could put Nicole Richie and Paris Hilton in the booth and I'd consider it an improvement over him.

March 26 2007 at 8:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply