Sanjaya makes them cry on SNL

by Liz Finn-Arnold, posted Mar 26th 2007 1:02PM
Andy Samberg as SanjayaThe Sanjaya controversy continues to heat up. Seriously, that's all anyone is talking about in our comments. Love him or deeply despise him, Sanjaya is now a pop cultural phenomenon. This week, Saturday Night Live took to mocking Sanjaya's latest American Idol performance.

In SNL's sketch, Sanjaya, played by Andy Samberg, shows up in the middle of Weekend Update for a surprise appearance. Amy and Seth are heard reacting in the background (Seth: "Is he happy or scared?" Amy: "He's terrible"). A shot of the audience reveals the infamous "crying girl", a weepy Fred Armisen, and a famous SNL alum also brought to tears by Sanjaya.

Tears of joy or tears of disgust? Sanjaya inspires them all. You can view the clip at TV's Top 5 (AOL TV) or on YouTube.

Mousetrap

Sanjaya is real guys. Come on. Just because everyone else is using his popularity to get rankings shouldn't let everybody just make fun of him.

I think SNL is a great place for performers to show their stuff. I am sorry that I missed the show. I wonder if CNBC or MSNBC or NBC or the BBC or another ..BC might rebroadcast the show online or offline.

There is an interesting discussion on this emotional topic on www.idolexpose.com
People really care about Sanjaya.

April 03 2007 at 10:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
anita

sanjaya is a joke this show is about singing he sucks bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 28 2007 at 1:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Franny

I love Sanjaya. He sings from his heart and puts all he can into his music. He may be the underdog but he adds spirit to this competition. I really hope he makes it through to the top 5.

March 28 2007 at 11:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

Hey for the idiot who says Sanjaya rocks...You know that they have mental institutions and such for people like you and him (or I wonder if I should say it)??? The SNL thing was hilarious. If AI ever had a screwed up year, it's definitly this year due to the ferreyboy who's still there. He should have never even made it out of Hollywood. After all, it's a singing competition right..Semper FI!!!

March 27 2007 at 11:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
I will not tell you my name

sanjaya rocks. screw u guys who do not vote for him. he did good on his frost performance mabye he will do good again. hi is 17... he shy. jsut vote for him it will make the kid happy give him a chance it will make the girl happy to. testacles gross.

March 27 2007 at 6:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sandee

Lion Tamer, you do understand that that was not the REAL Sanjaya on SNL, right? It was Andy Samberg dressed up, made up, immitating Sanjaya.

I felt bad after the audience boo'd him the week after last. Before, I really didn't want him to make it because I thought he wasn't very good; however, since the audience took to acting like five-year-olds, I'm kind of hoping he goes further (like the top 5) just to piss everyone off. I mean, come on, he's a kid (17-years-old). Would you want your kids feelings hurt like that, or yours for that matter?

March 27 2007 at 3:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rdk

This was hilarious! Lion Tamer... you do get they were completely making fun of him, right? Please please please make Sanjaya go home this week! I would love to be able to not plug my ears through another performance on AI.

March 27 2007 at 11:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lion Tamer

I really enjoyed Sanjaya on SNL. Great to see him in the spotlight. I also am writing a post about him on a blog called www.idolexpose.com and it is new and fresh.

March 26 2007 at 6:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply