November 20, 2014

I love Battlestar, stop talking about Battlestar

by Adam Finley, posted Mar 27th 2007 4:00PM

battlestar galacticaRecently I decided to see what all this Battlestar Galactica noise was about and Netflixed the first couple seasons. As of this writing I'm about midway through the second season and I have to say that yes, it is as good as people say. I don't mean it's good by the sometimes lower standards of other sci-fi fare, I mean it's just a good television program period. Consider me frakking converted.

Since I'm late to the game, however, and spend a lot of time writing about TV, it has been like maneuvering through a minefield on roller skates to avoid learning what happened during the third season finale. And trust me, there are a lot of people talking about Battlestar Galactica online. The moment I see those two words my eyes try to focus on some other part of my computer screen so they don't absorb any information. I've been doing this so much I've actually built up the muscle tissue around my eyeballs and can juggle strippers with my eyelids (the secret is to have the strippers roll themselves into the "cannonball" position, it makes them easier to catch and throw).

If it were anyone else, I'd tell them to just avoid TV sites until they catch up with the series, but I can't write about TV without frequenting TV-centric sites. It seems inevitable that I'll be exposed to what happened before I've actually made it through the third season: when enough time has passed, people will start speaking more openly about it just as they do certain "movie secrets" like Citizen Kane's sled, Luke Skywalker's father, that "chick" in The Crying Game, and the inexplicable all-animal mass-suicide/sex orgy that was the denouement of Benji: the Hunted, possibly the most disturbing ending to a G-rated movie, ever.

Anyway, much like my first viewing of all those aforementioned films, I'm sure once I finally get around to season three of BSG I'll already know what's going to happen. That's kind of a bummer, but what the hell, it's a good show. Lord knows I can't fault anyone for liking it and wanting to talk about it. Otherwise, what's the point of the internet?

One other thing: I notice that in the sex scenes involving the "human" cylons, they always show a red light running up and down the backs of the cylon. Wouldn't they be able to figure out which ones are cylons by just sexually arousing everyone and seeing whether or not their backs light up? If not, I may have just come up with the plot for some erotic Battlestar fan fiction.

TomB

Funny you should mention this today, Adam. I too wanted to see what all the fuss was about. The mini-series arrived today from netflix.

March 28 2007 at 7:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pete

I, too, have gotten half way through season 2 and think it's great television. The first time I saw that their "space fights" weren't all your typical laser beams with typical laser sounds, I was hooked. It's definately one of the top 5 shows on tv.

I've been avoiding everything to do with season 3 as well. I even have the Entertainment Weekly with them on the cover buried on my coffee table...unread (until I get to season 3.)

When I started renting, I forgot about the mini-series and started with eps. 1. I figured, what the hell, and stayed with the first 13, then went back to the mini-series. I don't think I missed a thing. If anything it made me pay attention more to figure out who everyone was.

Frakkin' Cylons!

March 28 2007 at 1:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

*Spoilers*

Everyone NOT named Adama is either a cylon or the figment of some other character's imagination. Also the universe is infused with the music of the gods, which turns out to be a very MOR vanilla-rock version of a classic Dylan song.

March 28 2007 at 12:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
drake

I'm in the same boat as you Adam... I started taping the 3rd season when it began, but didn't start the mini-series and season 1 until Christmas. We didn't catch up in time and since I write and prepare images for another site (http://www.film.com/tv,) I was bombarded with spoilers all season long. Finally, I got asked to write about the finale without even seeing it (writing from the music angle - spoiler link alert: http://www.film.com/story/musiconbattlestargalacticaisbobdylanacylon/13931129) and thus it's thoroughly been spoiled.

Still, I'm even more excited to get to the end, and am paying closer attention to details along the way that anticipate upcoming events.

March 27 2007 at 11:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
malren

Just because I LOVE to spoil things:

Rosebud was his sled.

March 27 2007 at 10:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

Maybe I'm just easy to please, but I've enjoyed every single episode of BSG since the beginning. Some were very action-oriented while others were more straight drama, but in my opinion every episode of BSG was superior to a lot of what else is on television. When it's finally over and done I plan on watching it all over again.

March 27 2007 at 10:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zach

Your not the only one Adam regarding who's been converted. I got my mom hooked onto this show. And let me tell you, she HATES TV. She only watches 24, sometimes The Office and this. And she's totally hooked. She's NOT a SciFi fan either.

I got her the 1st season and she made it through and I'm about to give her the 2nd. She read an article in the Boston Globe about a major thing that happens this season and tuned in for one ep. I was really pissed that she did because it ruined the S1 cliff hanger.

But she loves the show. She normally goes to bed around 9:30pm or so (she wakes up early to go to work) and has a couple times stayed up and started eps at 11pm. So your not the only convert Adam. My mom is. :)

March 27 2007 at 9:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kyle Beasley

Minus a few episodes here and there, this show has been consistently great television.

And yeah I thought about the spine thing. I think it, like that Boxey kid (Remember him?), got abondoned because it was just too silly within the context of the show.

March 27 2007 at 6:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

The first season and a half were the best.

And the writers i think realized that the glowing red backs were lame and dropped it.

March 27 2007 at 6:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
radwimp

Welcome Adam! I'm curious, are you a regular sci-fi viewer or is this one of your first?

Chris, I agree with you. I imagine the "filler episodes" of season 3 wouldn't be as bad as (some) people say if watched quickly on DVD. I think most people just bitched because nothing "exciting" (as in cylon battles) was really happening for long periods of real-time. That's my theory anyway.

March 27 2007 at 5:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply