October 25, 2014

What About Brian: What About Calling All Friends (season finale)

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Mar 27th 2007 9:02AM

Amanda Detmer as Deena Greco on ABC's What About Brian.(S02E19) That wasn't much of a finale, was it? You can definitely tell that there were a couple more episodes that were meant to be and this one just got tweaked a little. I'm not sure how much else could have changed had we gotten a full 22 installments, but you never know.

As I expected, Dave and Deena's impromptu wedding become the focal point of the episode, while everyone else just ran around like chickens with their heads cut off. That's one of the things you still gotta love about this show. No matter what else is going on, it always boils down to who's sleeping with who.

There's not much left for speculation though if you think about it. Dave and Deena are back together. Jimmy and Ivy are solid. Adam seems to be heading down the straight and narrow path with Natasha, but it does seem like Nic may have some sort of feelings for him. So who knows... Adam may end up sleeping with Brian's sister again. Is it that big a deal though?

Then there was the cliffhanger. Or lack there of. I'm sorry, but it does not count as a cliffhanger when you know the outcome! Of course Brian is going to end up with Laura. That's been the obvious choice since the beginning. As Stephanie proved with her horrendous babysitting skills, she's not much more than eye-candy. Laura on the other hand is the total package and Brian finally figured out what we all knew.

There are lots of things that I think could have made this episode much better and they obviously all involve bringing back characters -- just not Marjorie. She's got not value to the story at this point. What if Brian's dad returned from his evading the IRS world tour? For someone that bankrupted a huge company, that story got dropped awfully fast. Or what about Briget? I always thought she was going to end up pregnant and this would have been the perfect episode to let that one out? Then there's my pipe dream. What if Angelo wasn't dead? If he showed up, now that would have been a cliffhanger.

But the real issue at hand is does any of that matter? No word on whether or not we're going to get a third season of What About Brian. As I said, there's some questions but my gut says ABC isn't going to give us the answers. Why else chop off three episodes? Shows that are doing well, shows that a network is behind, don't get cut short like that.

phasezero

PLEASE I NEED 3RD SEASON

November 25 2007 at 1:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leonie

I've just finished the second season. Why o why can't they make a third season?! I, girl from the Netherlands, really hope those guys and girls at ABC make another one!!!

November 23 2007 at 10:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sally

Wonderful if anyone important to the making of the show gets a chance to read this.......
My husband and I are 30 somethings with kids who get tucked off to bed so we can relax with this great show. We enjoy all the characters, especially Deena and Dave. The show has great character development and we would enjoy seeing more if actors and $$ can be organised. Congrats on your previous seasons!

June 20 2007 at 11:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Angela

Hi I have really enjoyed watching what about Brian here in Australia I know my family and I are hoping for more.

June 19 2007 at 3:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anthony Nolan

I can't believe this show has finished. The best cast and writers made for the best show on TV. Shame on you ABC

June 17 2007 at 12:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
amanda

I am VERY sad that this show was canceled. It was well-written, funny, and entertaining, and the cast was a nice mix of lesser-knowns and bigger stars like Rosanna Arquette. Big mistake by the networks!!! Why do they want to keep force-feeding us reality show garbage? I watched American Idol for the first time this year and cannot believe I wasted my time on it. Sounds like a lot of viewers out there are disappointed too. Too bad.

June 03 2007 at 3:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pat

What About Brian is seriously one of the best shows ever made. I am so sad that this show got cancelled.

We had gatherings every monday night... what are we supposed to do now? what about us?

May 16 2007 at 10:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Laurie Lintala

I've had the sinking feeling that What About Brian won't be coming back in the fall and I am truly heartbroken. It is such a wonderful show. I looked forward to Monday's at 10 p.m. each and every week. Please, Please, Please, bring this show back. It's my favorite show on TV.

May 15 2007 at 5:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Britta

I want "What About Brian" back. What can we do to bring it back? I love this show. Please, please help us bring it back.

May 15 2007 at 12:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Linette

I want my What About Brian back. I have missed it soo much. The characters are great and we were just getting a chance to get to know them. I love this show. Please, please bring it back.

May 14 2007 at 3:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply