American Idol: Live Results Show #6

by Liz Finn-Arnold, posted Mar 28th 2007 10:47PM
Haley Scarnato and Chris Sligh in bottom two.(S06E25) Two important questions will be answered tonight, Ryan says. "Who's going home, and how will Sanjaya wear his hair?"

Blake is safe. LaKisha is safe. Phil IS in the bottom three. Melinda is safe. Chris R rebounds from last week's bottom two and IS safe. Sanjaya (yawn) is safe AGAIN. Haley IS in the bottom three. And Jordin, of course, is safe. Which means, either Chris Sligh or Gina is in the bottom three, but we won't know who until the end of the show.

Fast Forward. Turns out CHRIS SLIGH joins PHIL and HALEY in the bottom three. But Philly is sent back to safety once again.

SLIGH vs. SCARNATO? Who's going home? Randy says it's a tough call. Paula says they both deserve "warmth" from the audience. Simon thinks it's "Bye, Bye Curly."

And Simon is RIGHT. It's the end of the road for Chris Sligh who wowed us with his humor and charm early on, but then disappointed with his weekly (weakly) performances.

Am I sad to see Chris Sligh go? Not really. If not this week, I figured he'd be going sometime soon. He seemed really tired lately, and his personality had lost its shine. Once cocky and confident, he just looked like a beaten dog. It's probably better that he leaves now before Idol completely beats the fun right out of him.

The only bad thing about Chris Sligh going is that he was one of my eight-year-old son's favorites (the other being Blake) and he's a little upset about it right now. I'm sure he'll get over it by tomorrow. At least I hope he will.

Did the right person go home tonight? I think so. I think it was time for Chris Sligh to go. American voted, and Chris obviously hasn't built as strong a fanbase as Haley or Phil or Sanjaya.

And yeah, looks like there's no stopping Sanjaya. This is going to be a long season.

Other highlights:

• Ryan Seacrest with faux-hawkRyan comes out wearing a Sanjaya-inspired faux-hawk and says, "I've been Sanjayed." Okay, that sounded dirty and creepy.
  • The finalists sing "I Fought The Law" in tonight's western-themed Ford music video. Hey, Chris R. look kinda cute dressed up like an outlaw. Wow, I like him a lot better when he's not singing.
  • American Idol Challenge: Which Idol finalist from Birmingham was dubbed the "Velvet Teddy Bear? Bo, Ruben, or Hicks? Again, super easy.
  • Exxon Mobile came forward with a generous donation after last week's corporate appeal. No word on exactly how generous the donation was.
  • Gwen Stefani sings "The Sweet Escape" and Akon is there to Woo-Hoo. I like the top of Gwen's outfit, but don't think the bottom is flattering. But hey, she still rocks and is the hippest, most contemporary pop star Idol has ever snagged. After her performance she gives a plug for her upcoming tour (which starts April 21). And she also gives a shout-out to baby Kingston (aww sweet, she's such a hip mommy). Ryan tells us Gwen will also be part of Idol Gives Back.
  • Phil owes Chris Sligh $50 bucks. I'm guessing that they had a bet about which one of them was getting the boot first.

Next Week: The music of Tony Bennett.

For more Idol coverage, check out People.com.

And vote for your favorite finalist in AOL's poll.

Jenna

The show has become a Mockery, I say BAN FOX!!! and to Gina I say " SUE HOWARD STERN "

April 06 2007 at 4:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carol

I think American Idol should do what Dancing With the Stars has done and limit voting to 10 votes per phone #. That way would give the American public a much greater chance to pick a real winner, instead of having voting blocks who tie up the lines for losers, during the whole 2 hr. voting period. I think there are 3 pretty good talents left. From what I have seen a lot of the losers have gone much farther toward getting their music to the top, than have the winners. I am sorry to say, but I have about lost interest in AI. Just seems they keep the worst talent hanging on, but that has to be due to their voting system.

April 05 2007 at 1:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Margie

If Howard Stern's goals were to ruin American Idols position as,,,a place where TRUE talent can be displayed and rewarded,,,the low life has so far succeeded,,,the only person whose honesty and comments on talent are worth anything,,,,are those expressed by Simon Cowell,,,and if this young boy named Sanjaya,,,,whose talent,,,not personality and hair,duh!,,, were what was being judged,,,he would be gone,,,gotta look up the definition and purpose of the show called American Idol again,,,Sanjaya is surely not a person that I would call an AMERICAN IDOL,,,

April 05 2007 at 12:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Curtyis Petty

Let not kid our selves wwho looks like a idol. NO ONE Except HALEY

April 05 2007 at 11:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Curtyis Petty

Let not kid our selves wwho looks like a idol. NO ONE Except HALEY

April 05 2007 at 11:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
allyou77@aol.com

This year is a total discrace. I feel that it is so fixed. They are sending the wrong people home. As far as Sanjaya he should of been gone the first week. Whats up with Simons COMMENTS about Sanjaya. Last nights show was terrible Healey should of been gone not Gina. I feel this all has to do with the David Letterman show because they had a talk show on American Idol and he feels the worst singing should WIN. Not Right. If Melinda doesnt win this thats it Im done watching American Idol.

April 05 2007 at 7:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Riki Prunty

Sanjaya made it again, unbelievable. He will be the end of American Idol. But it's not his fault, the judges brought him in and a lot of ignorant people vote for him. Simon give him all you got...lol

April 05 2007 at 6:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kathy

I totally agree with Mary from her comment on 3/29/2007. How about an American Idol for the 50+ group. We had incredible talent in those days. Especially for us girl entertainers who had to adapt to almost an all male artist's groups of the times and make it sound just as good. It's like riding a bike....Get us back in the ring and we will show them what we had and still have to offer!

April 04 2007 at 3:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

Oh please...I didn't even bother to watch it last night. It's so contrived.

April 04 2007 at 12:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Barb

As a well-trained musician, I think Sanjaya could be a hit if properly trained.

He sings perfectly in tune (good intonation) and is charming and sincere. We need more personalities like that.

He just needs vocal coaching to add depth and volume to his voice. What's so bad about that?

April 04 2007 at 11:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply