April 23, 2014

Bones: The Priest in the Churchyard

by Richard Keller, posted Mar 28th 2007 11:06PM

Bones -- The Priest in the Churchyard(S02E17) It was forced. The tension that Booth and Bones exhibited during the episode didn't seem natural at all. Yes, it was explained that their differences had increased since Sully hopped a yacht down to the warm oceans of the Caribbean, but it just didn't seem convincing to me. Especially when Booth kept saying to Temperance that they should go talk to Seely's shrink about this all. It was like he was stirring the pot just to get Bones to come along with him.

With that being said, there were some real tension-filled moments. The one that stands out for me is during one of the interrogation scenes with Bones, Booth and Father William. Bones being Bones she mentioned something about not worshiping Loki anymore or something like that, and then chuckled. Not only did the Father glare at her, but Booth gave her one of the angriest looks I've seen him give her on this show.

Now, the scenes with our two detectives speaking with Gordon Wyatt made up for that real and imaginary tension. I particularly liked how he spoke to both of them away from their natural habitats -- Booth in the labs of the Jeffersonian Institution and Bones in the interrogation room at the FBI offices. Those scenes helped add a layer of depth onto Bones and Booth that we hadn't noticed before, or hadn't realized until Gordon mentioned it. I point out Temperance in this because Wyatt hit the nail on the head about Bones' frustration that she couldn't capture the essence of Booth's 'sixth sense'

The best scene of the episode was at the end of the show between Wyatt and Angela. When Angela started up with 'Listen up, Monty Python.' you knew this wasn't going to be a doctor-patient type of conversation. It was almost a discussion between equals. All right, let's admit it, Angela had the upper-hand. She really let 'Monty' have it. Then, she concluded the quote that Wyatt referenced concerning Booth and Bones. Angela's talents are being wasted putting faces to decomposed bodies.

Once again, I wasn't too sure who the killer was this week. There were plenty of twists and turns. First, I thought it was Father Matt. The way Booth was looking at the Father when he was working out some wrestling moves with the boys on his team you could hear the voice in his Seely's head screaming 'PEDOPHILE'. Then, I thought it was Father William, because he was just a cranky, old man. After he was eliminated there was only one person left who could've done it. I do like when there's a small suspect list. It's easier to keep track.

Overall it was a good episode; alas, a bit weak. As I said at the beginning I thought that the tension between Booth and Bones was forced. I will also go so far as to say that their opinions on organized religion were a bit more enhanced this episode than in previous ones where belief systems were brought up. I actually found the goings on at the Jeffersonian more interesting this week then what was going on Seely and Temperance. I'd like to see an episode where the squints take center stage.

Next week: Daddy's Home!

erroneous_nick

I didn't find the increased tension between Booth and Brennan forced, but I did find the mystery weaker than usual. I had guessed the culprit a little past halfway, but before that I definitely was confused as to "who done it". This definitely seemed like "sex week" for Fox, too. :o)

I do love Stephen Fry in this show and I hope he remains a permanent part of it even if his appearances are somewhat infrequent.

March 29 2007 at 11:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CP

I didn't fine the tension between Booth and Bones forced at all; it was just an extension of all their previous bickering over religion ("Jesus was not a zombie!" anyone?) brought into a sharper focus because of the case they were dealing with. I thought it was a good mystery; I did peg that the information on the trees in the garden would come up again, since it was out of place, but I didn't figure out the culprit until Booth was interviewing the old priest near the end. The grave robbing and suspicion of pedophilia kept me guessing, and I suspected that Father Matt's illness would link him as the culprit, rather than a new victim. Overall I found it quite enjoyable and well done.

March 29 2007 at 10:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lacey

I knew who it was right away.
She seemed like the least likely person to do it. And she'd been there a long time as well.

I kept an open mind through out, hoping that perhaps there would be a twist I didn't see, and even though there wasn't, I found the episode to be quite entertaining.

As someone who gave this show a chance from the start (due to my love for David Boreanaz) I really love this show, and it's amazing to see how the characters have grown and developed this season.

And I've been all about Angela and Hodgins since the begging as well, ever since the flirting started, these two characters have had incredible chemistry, and are quite possibly my favorite current TV couple (possibly second, only to Lily and Marshall from How I Met Your Mother)

And I really enjoy Wyatt, does anyone know how much longer he's gonna be around?

March 28 2007 at 11:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Yeah I thought the episode was rather lame and during it I went "Did Fox tell it's shows to raise the sex". It was a sex story like House yesterday and that took me out of the boring episode too.

If it were the preiest that did it I would have screamed.

March 28 2007 at 11:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby OB

I gotta say this was one of the most obvious mysteries ever on this show, a big letdown in that respect.

I had the guilty party nailed right from the beginning since one of my rules came into play - any time a character gives more info than needed, there has to be a reason. And all that backstory that was provided was overkill, therefore - guilty!

But all was forgiven with that final scene between Angela and Wyatt. Nice to see her call him on his own motives and that he relished the chance to spar with an equal.

March 28 2007 at 11:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply