December 21, 2014

Dirt: Ita Missa Est (season finale)

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Mar 28th 2007 10:05PM

Ian Hart and Courteney Cox star in FX's Dirt.(S01E13) That was... interesting. The writers definitely kicked it up a notch with this episode as things certainly felt more dramatic than they have throughout most of the freshman season of Dirt. A lot of that feel was do in part to simple things that were used very effectively. Numerous times in the episode, the power of silence coupled with the rhythmic sounds of a beating heart helped to cut together some very cool scenes unlike anything this show has tried before.

Add to that a rather off-beat cameo from Jennifer Aniston as well as the proper outcome for some of the show's minor characters, and we had ourselves a pretty decent finale. Savor it though, because unless FX is feeling brave (Starved and Over*There tells me they aren't), then I don't think we'll find out what happens next. Dirt may very well be the latest FX one-hit wonder.

The episode saw Don sink into his most severe schizophrenic delusion yet, as he was confronted by an imaginary Holt, Kira, and British accented mirror image. All three beings continually urged Don to kill Lucy. It was never explained why she was chosen or why he had been picked to, "cut the bitch's throat." Well... he is crazy.

As far as Jennifer Aniston's turn as Tina Harrod goes, it was different. Nothing too out of the ordinary for her on the surface, but it was certainly a character that you wouldn't normally expect her to play. The part really came across well acted I thought. In the end, with that final scene with Julia, I loved how Tina's true side came out when she busted out those pictures. She's just as manipulative as Lucy, but she's far better at hiding it. Then there was the kiss we've all been hearing about for weeks now. It was a quick peck. I'm over it. Some more info on Lucy and Tina's four "encounters" would have been nice though.

However, my favorite part of the episode was the evolution of Willa. She finally became the character I had hoped she would become from the beginning -- a cold-hearted bitch. Having been put through so much crap from Lucy, she finally took the reigns into her own hands. From telling Brent where to shove it, to getting that model in her pocket on the drug charges, it was awesome to see her change right in front of us. That last scene was the one we'll remember though. Willa at Lucy's desk, straight black hair and all. Very cool.

Here's what I didn't like, only because it was too safe an outcome. It was anti-climactic to be honest. Leo as Lucy's stalker? Big deal. Very disappointing. That's not even mentioning his story. Talk about cliched. "I did it for you Lucy!" It was just lazy to have him be the stalker if you ask me. I think I would have preferred to have found out that he was indeed the guy, but still have had Lucy in the dark. That would have least added to it a little.

The ending was good. I think it's obvious that Lucy lives. I'm pretty sure that Julia took the knife in the stomach though. Blame Tina for showing those pics. The funny thing is that she had to have known that Julia would go after Lucy too.

One other thing stood out for me, a brief exchange between Lucy and Holt as they were being chased. It was quick but I think it sums up the show:

Holt: Holy shit, Lucy! It's not like they have guns!
Lucy: It's worse. He has cameras.

Mel

I loved the show. I wanted that car soooo bad. Courtney Cox is a brilliant actress. I was so suprised at how great she is as a dramatic/bitch actress. Far stretch from Monica. Don Konkey and Courtney both deserve Emmys!!!! I really, really hope they renew it.

May 05 2007 at 3:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
debby

Has Dirt been renewed??

April 28 2007 at 4:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
steph

I love love love this show, its like crack! I hope they keep it on the air. I havent hears many negative reviews on it. I have a ton of girlfriends who have also become addicted. Its the new Nip Tuck of FX!!! Ill keep coming back for more!

April 08 2007 at 3:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cece

I want to know what does "Ita Misa Est" means??
I cannot wait for the new season... does anybody knows when will it air?
And, if Tina didnt want Lucy's job why did she tell on her? For the story?

April 07 2007 at 4:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rvkey

I think the shot of Willa at the end with the jet black hair was more imagery than reality. I think it was what Willa is fantasizing about. I am totally thrown by Brent and that "Lucy" tape. At first I thought he might have a camera in Lucy's vault and got a video of her and Holt. Hmmm.

Yeah, the brother stalker was an extreme let down. Although I half-expected that.

Was I mistaken or did Holt try to tell Lucy he was falling in love with her right before she spotted the photographers tailing them?

Also, I'm wondering if the dark headed girl that was walking the red carpet was a plant by Lucy so that if the pics of her and Holt surface publicly she has a look-a-like she can blame it on. Hmmmm again.

March 30 2007 at 3:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robin

I'm pretty sure Brent has decided he's going to get Lucy into bed somehow. I also think Lucy and Holt's relationship will continue. I love how Willa's character is developing.
I was wondering what was up with Jennifer Aniston's character and all the "sweeties" and "honeys" peppering her conversation. Didn't she do that on Friends? And, did you catch the "old friend" reference? Kinda lame.
I love the show, though. It always leaves me hanging and wondering what's gonna happen next!

March 30 2007 at 12:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

Aniston should stay on the show if it comes back. Her movie career did go to shit after all (although The Break-up was funny thanks to Vince Vauhgn). And she works great with Cox.

March 29 2007 at 3:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

I thought this was a good episode, not as good as last week and mainly because the brother ended up being the stalker. The funny thing was my husband said "why is he back anyway?" at the beginning of the episode and wonder what the brother did for the story line.

The guy who plays Don needs to win an award... he is fantastic! This show would be nothing without him. I hope they renew the show just to get more of Don! :)

March 29 2007 at 12:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

escapista: despite "Ite" being the plural imperative, and despite the useful Latin imperative lesson in Monty Python's "Life of Brian," the closing words of the Latin Mass are, indeed, "Ita, missa est."

March 29 2007 at 12:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PORSCHE

So you think willa had on a wig too? I told my wife that but we were unsure. Plus what was with Bent putting Lucy's name on a tape? Did he do willa with wig on and pretend? I told wife that it is for "when" she blows him..but it was unclear... unless brent has video footage from inside Lucy's house and has the stabing on video?

Miko