How much Idol is too much Idol?

by Liz Finn-Arnold, posted Mar 28th 2007 3:23PM
The Idol judgesWell, Yippee. Just when I thought we were half way through the season, and my job would be getting slightly easier (Yay for half hour results shows!) the Idol producers decide to see just how much they can push their baby, by adding even more one-hour shows to the schedule.

The producers claim that they are making the switch to one-hour results shows a month earlier than expected because there hasn't even been enough time for the booted singers to perform their farewell songs on air during the crammed 30-minute editions.

So wait, instead of cutting 2 minutes of commercials or other meaningless banter so that the rejected contestant can sing, Idol is adding 30 minutes of bloat? I imagine this means we'll get the reject song (actually under 2 minutes), along with 22 minutes of commercials, and 6 odd minutes of space-filling Ryan/Simon gay banter, along with a little bit of Paula-babbling.

Okay, how much of Idol is just too much Idol?

I used to like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire too, until they aired it 20 times a week. This is where I think the insatiable greed of certain network producers begins to jeopardize the product they've created. They have to realize that there is a line -- a point at which their show becomes too over-exposed, and the viewing public becomes jaded, and tired of the hype.

And while I enjoy Idol as mindless entertainment, I certainly don't like being played. I'm beginning to think (okay, I've thought it for a long time) that the producers really only care about making a butt-load of money, and don't care AT ALL about finding the best singer in America! It has become glaringly apparent that every single decision the producers make is based on how much more advertising dollars they can squeeze into 30 minutes of faux-programming.

They can do this, because we, the TV-viewing public, suck it up and flock to whatever the Almighty Idol serves us. Or we have until now. I know from reading our comments, that a lot of people are fed up with the voting system, and disgusted that Sanjaya remains in the competition. Lots of people have also complained that this year's show is the most boring ever. And some of you even say you're through, and will "never watch Idol again!"

I'm sorry to say, however, that we can complain about it all we want, but as long as Idol remains a ratings juggernaut - NOTHING is going to change. The producers don't need to listen to their whiny, dissatisfied customers, because there are millions of people buying what they are selling. And we can't seem to get enough. So why wouldn't they give us more, as long as we seem to want it? The Idol money train will keep rolling on and on until it completely runs out of gas. Since nobody knows when that will be, the producers and network are pretty darn smart to milk this thing for as long as they can.

I know lots of you think Idol should limit the number of votes as a solution to the Sanjaya problem. But I doubt this will ever happen, at least not as long as they are charging for phone calls and text messages. There would be too much revenue lost for Idol's partners. Which is why the producers can only thank themselves for Vote for the Worst and Howard Stern's campaign to ruin Idol. The producers could create a "fairer voting system" and eliminate the "VFTW/Stern Effect" completely -- if they didn't have the need to make a penny off of every aspect of this competition.

The extended one-hour results shows will air on April 11, April 18 and May 2. The April 25th show has also been extended for the two-hour Idol Gives Back event. Even the two-hour charity event leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The cynical side of me believes Idol is only running this star-studded charity event to increase their goodwill hype and raise their advertising rates for the night. I believe the event will most likely "give back" A LITTLE to charity, and A LOT into the producers' pockets. If they aren't doing it just for the money, they should donate all (not just a percentage) of the proceeds for the night (including ALL the advertising dollars).

Of course, I live in a dream world where American Idol really is a singing competition, and the producers don't care at all about making more money than they will ever need. And it's my job to watch it all, whether 20 more hours, or 100. I can't turn it off, and say "enough!" How about you? Have you had enough?

Preston

I think that the producers need to write their individual checks or donate cash to the Idol Gives Back charity. All those millions they make on that show, they should give back themselves! And they should donate ALL the proceeds to the charities and to the people that suffered in Katrina and other tragedies.

March 30 2007 at 1:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Preston

I wouldn't be surprised if ABC puts its Dancing With the Stars against American Idol if Idol's ratings fall. Then you'd really have a public relations disaster. I think the other networks are going to challenge Idol if Sanjaya is still in the top 10. The way it looks, the show is aging after 5 years and 6 seasons. The judges don't sound as interesting as the first 4 seasons. That happens with every show on TV after its 5th year or so. I think that it's hard to stay on top when Sanjaya is more popular than better singers LaKisha Jones, Melinda Doolittle, Blake Lewis or Jordin Sparks.

March 30 2007 at 1:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Preston

I think that Idol's producers seem so DESPERATE with their high jinks and supersizing with extending to one hour with the results show. When it's 10, 11 or 12 contestants, okay, but when it's 3, 4, 5 or 6 left, come on! I was more comfortable with a 30-minute show--just give me the results, then get off! Because they've gotten so much criticism with Sanjaya Malakar still in the top 10, now they answer back in a defensive way by extending the results show. It looks bloated--what are they going to talk about during those 20- to 30-minute gaps on the show? They're going to have to get some musical guests to perform on there to fill up that time. So what if the loser doesn't get to perform their farewell song? We know their time on the show is over, so get off!

March 30 2007 at 12:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pretty Cheap Jewelry

For Some it's never enough! Here's something I made for the person who can't live without it:

Just havin fun in a non-commercial way. :>

March 29 2007 at 1:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
VEE

SANJAYA NEVER SHOULD HAVE MADE THE TOP ANYTHING.I AGREE THE JUDGES SHOULD HAVE SOME SAY WHEN IT GETS AS FAR AS IT HAS WITH SANJAYA AND ANTONELLA.SOMEONE MENTIONED AGE AS A FACTOR THERE I HAVE TO DISAGREE HERE WE HAVE SANJAYA 17 AS A HUGE JOKE,THEN WE HAVE JORDIN 17 WHO IS WONDERFUL,BLESSED WITH A VOICE THAT LEAVES YOU SPEECHLESS.IF THEY HAD CHANGED THE AGE AND SAID 17 IS TO YOUNG WE WOULD HAVE NEVER HAD THE JOY OF HEARING JORDIN WHO SHOULD BE IN THE TOP THREE ALONG WITH LAKISHA AND MELINDA.

March 29 2007 at 10:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marlys

From a seniors point of view, this show sucks! The few times I've watched it I've had to wonder what has happened to the American public that they think any of these performers have talent. They cannot sing and further more they do not have a clue what good music is. They stand on stage and squeel and howel and are then celebrated. I'd really rather listen to a dog howel then put up with these talentless individuals.

March 29 2007 at 8:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LATT

AMERICAN IDOL BRINGS AMERICA TOGHER AS A FAMILY AND GIVES US ALL SOMETHING TO TALK ABOUT ON A DAILY BASIS AS AMERICANS....WE ARE ONE....AS A FAMILY OF AMERICANS...LIKE SETING DOWN TO THE DINNER TABLE AND DISCUSSING .."WHAT WENT ON TODAY"...WITHOUT IDOL WHAT WOULD BRING US ALL TOGETHER IN TALK?????? IT HAS BEEN GOOD FOR US AS A FAMILY...AND GOOD FOR THE KIDS WHO HAVE A CARREER OUT OF IT.ITS BRINGING US ALL DECADES OF FUTURE ENTERTAINERS...THANK U AMERICAN IDOL FOR BRINGING US ALL TOGETHER.....NEVER GET ENOUGH OF U.

March 29 2007 at 7:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brenda

I think american idol is a great show. If you don't
want to watch it, just turn the channel to something
else. My comment is that if Sanjaya is not kicked off
before long, alot of people are going to stop watching. He can't sing, dance, or anything else. He
should have never made the top 32, and certainly not
the top 12.

March 28 2007 at 11:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jeanette

This is insane, if Sanjaya continues to stay Idol will have to change the rules so that contestants that do not belong on the show get the boot, the judges will have to have a part in the voting .

March 28 2007 at 11:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
beverly daveiga

First of all, I love the American Idols show, but I think the voting system stinks or people that vote don't no anything about vocals, (look who one last year) and look who is still standing on the stage this year, who should have bent sent home from the begining (Sanjaya) he just ok, he's not a great singer. People need to vote for the best, not the worst. Fans get for reel and vote for the best. Stop doging Simon he's the only judge that speaks the truth.
Beverly From R.I.