April 23, 2014

Jericho: Winter's End

by Paul Goebel, posted Mar 28th 2007 9:02PM

Aasif Mandvi(S01E16) I love any show that starts with someone burying a dead body. I especially liked the metaphor that Hawkins was digging his own hole deeper and deeper with every lie he tells. It's clear that he will have to share his secrets with the town very soon.

This episode had so much action in the first ten minutes that I was hooked right away. Just when I think I've had enough of the end of the world, Jericho reels me back in.

I especially liked all the technical information I learned by watching this episode. Whether it's building a windmill, delivering a baby or "negotiating" a contract, there was plenty to be learned.

When I first saw the return of Dr. Kenchi I was a little worried. I thought it would be impossible to take Aasif Mandvi seriously because he's so hilarious on The Daily Show. My worries were soon abated. Mandvi was great. His portrayal of the beaten, frightened doctor that everyone is counting on had me riveted.

Another great piece of acting came from everyone who had to stand out in the cold. As a former resident of the Midwest, I know all too well, what it feels like when it's too cold to even snow. All the shivering and hand rubbing may have seemed over the top to some, but I, for one, bought it.

I used to think Dale was kind of a loser but I now realize he was just a psycho waiting to strike. There is a fine line between taking what's yours and taking the law into your own hands. Frankly, if the vapid, spoiled rich girl suddenly found me sexy, I'd consider that a red flag.

I was very sad to Stanley leave town to build windmills, Eric, on the other hand... I don't know how Jake and the rest of the boys plan on holding up their end of their bargain but I sure hope that tank has something to do with it.

Kay McNeely

Love the show - but it's frightening to think that this is probably what would really happen in the event of an attack. The acting is awesome by pretty much everyone. Agree that Dale is over the edge, and it was stupid to send Stanley when he's a farmer. And, what the heck is Hawkins....REALLY? If anybody needs their toes stepped on, it's Dale and his little girlfriend.

April 05 2007 at 10:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MrC

Jennifer brought up the same thought I had, except I compared it to the firing/emptying of the writing room on Studio 60.

I hope it's part of a bigger plot, not a reduction in force :)

March 30 2007 at 10:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DelBocaVista

I really think this show keeps getting better and better. I can not believe that it might get cancelled! I am puzzled as to why Stanley was going off to make windmills as everyone else already brought up. Not a smart move to send a good farmer. I am not clear on if they all volunteered or were chosen to go. Dale has always creeped me out, way too pale looking and seems like a kid who never had friends due to his own weirdness. I like the Dr. Kenchi character and can understand his problems. I did not care much about April but the death scene was very emotional. How convienient that a medical student is among the "refugees"! This show makes me wonder what will happen next and eager for the next episode.

March 30 2007 at 5:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
llanesbrown

I love this show!!! Please CBS do not cancell!!!!

March 30 2007 at 11:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cold Chilli

Why would they let one of their farmers go as one of the 10?
Why let Stanley go? he's gotta get the crops for payment!

March 29 2007 at 6:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

I don't get this "sending characters away" thing. Did someone pull some funding off the show and they had to pull a Veronica Mars in making some of the cast temporarily disappear?

You know, I am actually surprised that April and the baby were killed off, rather than having a miraculous saving. (Not to mention that they killed off the sane doctor, leaving Mr. Wackadoo and a med student in charge.) Realistically, any woman who gets pregnant and has complications probably would die under these circumstances.

I was impressed with the mom for actually agreeing to take care of Mary. Go figure.

March 29 2007 at 4:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Benjy

Last night's episode was fantastic. The story managed to juggle so many issues and give solid face time to each of them.

It is a testament to Jericho that I almost forgot I was watching a television show during April's death scene. I really felt the power and emotion of that scene reach out and grab me. Definitely one of the most powerful scenes I have ever witnessed in an hour-long television drama!

As for Dale, I will scream if they start a Bonnie and Clyde angle with those two (especially given the scene where they seemed to get a sexual rush off of getting the claim)! Hopefully, the writers were just presenting the Dale situation as a smaller scale version of what could happen in the slippery slope of bargaining with a town like Newburg. Like Johnston said, "That's how wars get started."

March 29 2007 at 3:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AC

Saboater - That is exactly the same thought I had! Why send the farmer away when you know there is going to be a food shortage. Wouldn't you want someone with experience there to make sure you produced as much good food as possible? I'm sure his sister knows her way around the farm, but still. Stanley should know better... and I hope nothing happens to him. He's the best character on the show.

March 29 2007 at 11:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam

I thought this episode was quite dry compared to the others. I suppose action-wise there need to be valleys from time to time, but I just couldn't get into the episode this week. There was just a little too much Dale drama.

I, too, am also from the Midwest, and I find it a little strange that it could be so cold for so long in a place as far south as Kansas. That's the kind of weather you'd expect in North Dakota, and certainly wouldn't go so long. Also, I am intrigued about their obsessive need for windmills--the Jericho folk seem to have issues with consolidating their people in one location (thus, saving energy and only needing one windmill). Their deal is also a tad bit ridiculous... after this season, I'm surprised the Jericho folk aren't being more generous with other towns and their resources. Oh well, it is fiction.

March 29 2007 at 11:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DougE

I found the sending away of Stanley very implausible too. Especially since Jake stayed around. He's a Jerichoan & he really doesn't do anything in town anyway, why not send him instead of the farmer? Sending Stanley made absolutely no sense.

March 29 2007 at 10:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply