October 31, 2014

Law & Order SVU: Sin

by Anna Johns, posted Mar 28th 2007 6:39PM
svu; special victims unit(S08E17) The writers of this episode were out to stick it to the right-wing Evangelicals, weren't they? They wrote an emotional script about the subject that gets so many people riled up: homosexuality!

Tim Daly seemed a little detached from his central role in this episode, playing Jeb Curtis, a reverend at New Souls Church in Long Island. I think his character was based on real-life Evangelical minister Ted Haggard, who admitted to doing meth and having affairs with men. Of course, Haggard never killed anyone to cover up his sins (at least not that we know of).

As it turns out, Curtis didn't kill anyone either. The writers had us believe he was guilty for most of the episode--although, I knew it wasn't him when the DNA came back as a partial match. Hello?!? He has 10 kids! All along, I thought his son, Paul, was probably the culprit. He just got too much satisfaction out of that House of Horrors featuring partial-birth abortions and AIDS victims. So, I wasn't surprised when the detectives accused him.

I was surprised, however, at who really ended up doing the killing. After she shot her husband, I briefly thought it was the mother, played by the fantastic Kathy Baker, who killed her son's lover.

I was very happy with the way the story ended. While it would've been easy for the writers to take a stab at the Evangelical minister and his family, it took a turn and blamed the extremist who couldn't accept people for what they are. Even the Evangelical minister, who preached against homosexuality, could not hate his son. A good lesson, I think, that, in the end, humanized the Evangelicals.

Two side-notes:

1. Was anybody else a little rattled by the graphic dialogue before the opening credits? Within the first minute, we hear about a victim "laid out" in a cemetery. The coroner says, ""No clothes. No ID. No eyes." Ewww! That's some pretty heavy stuff for the sixth line of the episode. Then we get details on how the crows ate the dead man's eyes, and, once again, the coroner has a disgusting line: "If it [the message] was 'shut up and spread em', he got it loud and clear."

2. That recording that Hannah (Kathy Baker) played for detectives was terrible. It was the worst voiceover acting ever! The victim in the phone call, who is supposed to be upset, says in a very even tone: "You'll be sorry." Puh-lease. I laughed out loud when I heard that and saw the stunned looks on the detectives faces. Maybe they were stunned at how awful it was.

Great/sick line from Det. Tutuola: "The little birdies didn't rape him."

Jeremy Giles

I thought the episode Sin was interesting if not great. I was most interested to finally see a new episode and to see one of my favorite actresses (Kathy Baker) act alongside another one of my favorite actresses (Mariska Hargitay). Both women had some great scenes together and I loved seeing Kathy Baker on one of my favorite shows. I had always wanted to see her on here. My only problem was that the preview for the episode only mentioned Tim Daly and not Kathy Baker. Furthermore, he was a 'special guest star' while she was just a guest star. She is a three-time Emmy Award-winner, a Golden Globe winner and a Screen Actors Guild Award winner, which makes her far more accomplished of a performer than he is, so why did they not emphasize her appearance on the show? Other than that, I was pleased to see her on what I consider to be one of TV's best shows.

March 29 2007 at 9:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pamela

Excellent episode and as always great dialogue demonstrating realistic portrayals of actual colloquy in that unit.

L&O: SVU and CI have been absorbing with their storylines this season while L&O seems trite and unoriginal.

I'm anticipating the escalation of Elliot and Liv's relationship while continuing to work within that division. That should make for some interesting character and storyline developments. I'm curious to see how the writers and directors handle it and if they do so effectively.

March 29 2007 at 10:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BillS

Tammy: It was Anson Mount on the original L&O, and yeah, all three since February 10th, so about six weeks to cover the same topic on all three series.

March 29 2007 at 12:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

Is this the topic du jour for L&O? I think all three of them have done a homosexual preacher or at least thought that at first. I know it's "ripped from the headlines" material but all three did an episode within a month or so of each other. Tom Arnold played the gay preacher on one and I don't remember the other one.

March 28 2007 at 8:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tracey

I'm so glad that we got a new ep of SVU last night! It was an interesting one, though I wasn't enamored with the topic of the case this week. I thought it was a good twist at the end, as you pointed out in your review. However, I'm one of those viewers (and have been since SVU first aired) that's much more interested in Olivia and Elliot's personal lives... so what's with Elliot and Kathy trying to make it work again? From the phone conversation they had, Kathy is already hating the job taking all of Elliot's time (plus the fact that I don't think that Kathy's all that happy that he's spending it with Liv). I mean, the man is trying to make his marriage work, and he can't get Fin or Munch to cover for him for one night so he can meet his (ex)wife for drinks? And the way Elliot told Olivia - mumbling that he's moving back in, all the while completely avoiding at her - is a pretty telling statement that he's not all that excited about the prospect of being Kathy's husband again.

Very interesting, in any case - I'll stay tuned!

March 28 2007 at 7:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply