November 26, 2014

Lost: Expos

by Erin Martell, posted Mar 28th 2007 11:58PM

Rodrigo Santoro and Kiele Sanchez

(S03E14) Well, "The Man From Tallahassee" was a tough act to follow, and it is probably unfair to compare the two episodes. This episode had its moments--shirtless Sawyer, double-crosses, and guest star Billy Dee Williams. Nikki and Paulo's story needed to be told, and I think that the writers accomplished what they set out to do. I might have to watch "Exposé" again before I can make a complete assessment.

The Flashback

I actually thought that the earlier parts of the flashback were pretty entertaining. Nikki Hernandez played a character named Corvette in a show that Hurley compared to Baywatch, with strippers. I thought that was Baywatch? From the looks of it, Exposé was a naughtier version of Charlie's Angels, with the incredibly cool Billy Dee Williams as the boss. I'm still in shock after seeing Lando Calrissian on a Lost episode.

Apparently Nikki and Paulo conspired to con, poison, and steal from the show's director, using Nikki as bait. The plan worked, and a remorseless Nikki and Paulo cackled their way into millions of dollars in diamonds. It seemed like a really complicated plan for both Nikki and Paulo to get jobs close to Howard, but it worked, so who am I to judge?

It's safe to say that the plane crash destroyed both the plan and Nikki and Paulo's relationship. It took Nikki about five seconds to shift her attention from a shaken Paulo to the bag o'diamonds. Some familiar faces showed up during the mostly post-crash flashback. Ethan's appearance existed only to lead gullible viewers like me down the "working with the Others" path. How awesome would that have been, though? Leslie Arzt had a scene with Nikki that turned out to be very significant. Nikki should have been paying more attention to his spider lecture. That mistake literally came back to bite her.

Paulo started to catch on to Nikki's priorities, and wisely hid the diamonds from her. His desire to save his relationship was sweet, but I guess that Nikki is not much of a romantic. Once she realized his "betrayal" she coldly threw a poisonous (but not fatal) spider at him. Unfortunately for Nikki, the spider's ability to attract males worked against her. That's why you never trust other women, ladies.

For my money, the best part of the flashback was Nikki and Paulo's one-track mind when it came to the island mysteries. They found Yemi's plane and the Pearl Station, but could not have cared less. Who knew that it was possible for Lost characters to be even less curious about the island? Paulo even overheard Ben and Juliet's ultimate plan for Jack, Kate, and Sawyer, and did not bat an eyelash. At least the Others' intentions are clear now: Ben cleverly manipulated Jack using his feelings for Kate, and used Michael's love for Walt to get him to deliver the gang. Ben's ability to exploit people's emotions reminds me a lot of the late Livia Soprano.

The Beach

Back in real time, a frantic Nikki buried the diamonds in the jungle and collapsed in front of Hurley and Sawyer. Their exchange about her final words was priceless. Plywood? Power lines? Paulo lies? Detective Hurley decided to investigate, and even Sawyer got into "the case" after they found Paulo in the jungle. As usual, Sawyer was acting out of selfish motives, and only wanted the diamonds.

Sawyer had a lot to juggle during this episode. A guilty Charlie finally spilled the beans to Sun about her fake kidnapping, and Sun took her anger out on Sawyer. Hurley's suspicions also had to be dealt with. After questioning Desmond, Hurley believed that Sawyer was somehow involved in Nikki and Paulo's demise. Sawyer eventually revealed that Nikki asked Sawyer for a gun (presumably to kill Paulo). I don't want to speak for Paulo, but I would have preferred a nice, quick gunshot to the fate that Paulo received. Nikki didn't fare so well, either. They were both presumed dead and ended up being buried alive with their diamonds. Now that is poetic.

A few final questions/thoughts:

• In the crash sequence during Nikki's flashback, she cast a long look up at the sky. Was there something moving quickly through the air? Check out these before and after photos and give me your opinion. I had to watch the scene several times before I saw anything, but it could be any number of things (or nothing).
  • There was a shout-out to Rodrigo Santoro's "Brazilian Tom Cruise" nickname in the flashback. Howard mentioned that Paulo was like the Wolfgang Puck of Brazil.
  • I loved all of the faux-police talk between Hurley and Sawyer: "perimeter sweep" and "forensics hatch" were my favorites.
  • Nikki's speech about the spider as Paulo was becoming paralyzed reminded me a lot of Daryl Hannah's snake speech in Kill Bill Vol. 2.
  • What was the point of the scene where Vincent runs off with the blanket that covered the corpses? As a dog owner, I find that kind of mischief believable, but why throw that in?

See you next week!

Dave Froom

Aaah, Vincent knew they were still alive (smell? hearing their shallow breaths? I don't know?) and that was his reason for uncovering their bodies. He's a clever dog, you know.

April 03 2007 at 4:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

Actually Erika, Juliet does NOT say "because Paulo is down here"
She mentions something about Tom coming down there all the time.

April 03 2007 at 1:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StevieB

I Love LOST. In fact I used to work with one of the co-creators mother. She is a teacher like me. Damon is the co-creator's name. The show keeps you engaged, and I love the use of the flashback. This last episode was quite interesting being that I wasn't all that familiar with Paulo & Nikki. However, the use of flashbacks to get background info for the viewer is probably my favorite part of the show!

April 02 2007 at 6:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Erika

Ok did anyone hear what Ben and Juliet said as they walked into the hatch? The shot is on Paulo hiding the nesting doll, and you hear Ben say "Why is this door open?" Then Juliet says something like "Because Paolo is here and..."
So maybe they said all those things on purpose! I don't think we're finished with Paolo and Nikki yet. Juliet definitely gave Ben some ammunition against Jack - he'll exploit her attraction to him.

April 02 2007 at 2:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
senser81

I found it funny that the Losties were able to bury Nikki and Paolo in record time. Usually they let dead people lie around awhile, or if someone runs into their camp and dies, usually everyone just shrugs their shoulders and says "well, that's that" and moves on. It was strange that Losties performed perimeter searches and we able to dig a two-person grave so quickly.

Also, the spiders were pretty aggressive. They attack everything they come in contact with, and within moments there were several spiders by Nikki after the 'pharmones' of the squished spider was released, implying that these extremely aggressive and paralyzing spiders can be found in abundance all over the island. Surprisingly, no one else had been bit before now.

April 02 2007 at 10:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Blaine

I actually really enjoyed this episode. I thought it was exciting and had a great ending. I'm hoping they somehow get out of it because this episode actually made me like Nikki. This episode and last weeks have been the best of this season in my opinion.

April 01 2007 at 4:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Henry

Hola
Pienso que fue un poco absurdo matar a Niki y Paulo, porque no aportaron nada a la trama. Supongo que a nadie le gustó la forma en la que fueron intruducidos al show, sin embargo, deberieron explotar más los personajes en vez de deshacerse de ellos.
El episodio en sí me gustó mucho, aunque desapruebe las muertes.

April 01 2007 at 12:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sarah

first off, most of you complaining about how this episode didn't contribute to the "story arc" sound unbelievably pretentious. What would you know about the story arc? You haven't seen what's next. Only once the entire story is told would you be in a position to definitely state whether or not this episide was mere filler or strategic.

Every episode doesn't have to answer some major question. A good story never follows a straight line to reach the conclusion, and doesn't reveal everything at once. And I suspect this episode has a great deal more to do with the future than you anticipate. Lost isn't just about revealing the end of the story you already know, it's still building the story to come.

March 31 2007 at 1:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nick

oops...

something about = something out

March 30 2007 at 11:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nick

The first 45 minutes I kept thinking to myself, this is the worst episode I've seen of Lost. Why are these secondary characters having their stories told? Do we care? And why was the beginning so excruciatingly cheesy? Billy Dee Williams was perhaps the worst guest actor to appear on the series. Then, that they were recycling bits and pieces from earlier shows, just made ponder if this was nothing more than a glorified clip show. And to make matters worse, I was upset that they continue to under utilize the all main characters and use them for nothing more than bit parts.

BUT...

The last 10 minutes were incredible. Totally twisted, and I loved it. I kept thinking, this is something about of a Stephen King novel.

Without the ending, the show would have been truly lost.

March 30 2007 at 11:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply