September 19, 2014

Survivor heading to Canada?

by Bob Sassone, posted Mar 28th 2007 4:42PM

Jeff ProbstFinally, one of my wishes might come true: Survivor is seriously considering moving the show to a colder climate.

Canada, to be precise. Host Jeff Probst reveals that show creator Mark Burnett is thinking about doing the next season in Canada, because they're running out of jungle/island places to go to. They probably aren't really running out of places to go, but after a while all of these places start to look and feel the same.

Probst is worried that a colder place would a.) be worse for the bodies of the contestants and b.) you wouldn't have chicks in bikinis. Well, for the first concern, I think that's the reason to do it. Give these contestants a challenge the other contestants of other seasons never had. And for the second concern, I have the solution.

Hot tub!

Seriously, the show needs a kick in the pants, and a colder world would really reinvent the show a bit.

[via TV Tattle]

Debbie

What is this cold climate crap in Canada. I am sitting here in Vancouver,B.C. at 10 p.m. in my bathing suit mind you with all the fans going and it is still sweltering hot. There are lots of islands off the coast of B.C. that they could do survivor. And being in B.C. we get the heat and lots of rain and thundershowers. So lets get with it people.

June 04 2007 at 1:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joel

Filming will take place sometime between June to August of 2007 for the Amazing Race duh

April 24 2007 at 5:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mary

we are a bit upset, living in canada is a great place but when it comes to t.v. we suck.... We are never allowed to apply for any type of reality show. Maybe your next show doesn't have to be taped in canada but wouldn't it be cool to have two teams competing THE CANADIANS against THE AMERICANS. You did do that all africans,all hispanic nationality stuff one season.

April 18 2007 at 12:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Grace

i really like the idea of having survivor here in canada but what would the competitions be like? i mean we cant go swimming here (espically in the winter) when its -30. anyone have an idea?

April 04 2007 at 3:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scuzzlewump

Red and yellow clue boxes are Amazing Race, not Survivor.

March 31 2007 at 11:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scarry

RE:13. I'm pretty sure the yellow and red clue box is for The Amazing Race! yay!

March 31 2007 at 2:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cathode

I can attest they are bringing the show to Canada. I was at the base of the CN Tower yesterday (Thurs 29 March) in Toronto and saw a two-man camera crew with one of those red and yellow clue-box stands.
The crew didn't seem too happy that I picked what they were doing when they overheard me pointing their presence out to a friend I was with, but they weren't being especially stealthy.

March 30 2007 at 10:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MsTina06

The show would be great in Canada. Check out this new Survivor site I found http://survivorwiki.cbs.com

March 29 2007 at 11:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

I'm guessing when they say the cold of Canada, they're thinking somewhere like Nunavut in the middle of winter. "Survivor" often tries to involve the natives of the country (and its heritage) into the show, and they could easily do this up north. Plus, it's isolated enough to not be ruined by people trying to sabotage (whether intentionally or unintentionally) the filming. That's why they couldn't do a show in Hawaii or something like that.

A lack of near-nudity would suck, but once they get into fire-heated igloos or hot tubs, that would change. Plus, since *I* have to deal with -50 temperatures for a month every year, it'd be nice to see others have to do so!

March 29 2007 at 12:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark

Agree with #4 - why is it that people south of the border (that'd be you Americans lol) have this perception Canada = cold.

They could EASILY hold a Survivor in the interior of Algonquin Park in July-September, as an example, where there's 1000s of lakes, temperatures that can get in the 30s (that's celsius), and the biggest, meanest black flies, horse flies, wasps and mosquitoes you can find. And completely desolate otherwise - with plenty of black and brown bears tossed in.

Or ditto for anywhere in the lower interior of BC. Or how about the plains (read: almost desert like) of southern Alberta. Drumheller region.

It's not all igloos, guys. I've spent colder summers in Chicago and Seattle than I have in most of Canada.

March 28 2007 at 9:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply