April 24, 2014

I owe Jeff Goldblum an apology

by Bob Sassone, posted Mar 29th 2007 3:25PM

Jeff GoldblumI have to admit that I judged Jeff Goldblum's new show, Raines, before I even saw it. When I heard the plot description that was scattered about on the web several months ago, I think I actually sighed. Another show about an investigator who speaks to ghosts? Why had this become such a hot genre, like westerns or sitcoms many years ago? Did we really need another one, no matter what big name they had for the lead?

Well, I have to eat my words.

Granted, only a couple of episodes of Raines have aired so far (it's not tonight, but is moving to Fridays starting tomorrow), but I've been impressed by what I've seen. As we know now, he isn't really speaking to ghosts, they are figments of his imagination, a coping device he uses to stay sane (ahem) and to know the people who have been killed. Sure, that's sorta the same device as shows like Medium and Ghost Whisperer, at least in how it's framed, but I like the way they're handling this. And the show is a lot more mystery/noir oriented than I thought it was going to be. It's a throwback, really, to private eye shows we've had in years gone by.

But the biggest reason it works is Goldblum himself. He's quirky and funny as always, yet big and serious-looking and off-kilter enough to add some depth to the character. I have no idea if this show will come back this fall or be another short-lived detective series, but I'm enjoying it right now.

Sylvia Elias

I am disappointed that NBC canceled Raines. Jeff Goldblum was a complex charactor and the writing was good. The combination of Goldblum's quirkiness and the plots that were not the usually weekly formula made it a show that remained interesting. I too was hesitant when I thought it was another Medium type show--I don't like the supernatural programs--but once I saw an episode I was hooked and began telling my friends. The one thing I didn't like is the charactor of a bumbling cop. So many shows do that and I don't think it's necessary. I would like to see it on TNT along with The Closer since it seems NBC isn't going to bring it back.

June 08 2007 at 7:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cynthia A. Marian

I find it all very sad that 90% of the comments I have ever read about the show said how wonderful it is and that this is a intelligent, feeling, unique an humorous program, perfect casting of Jeff Goldblum. The ratings were respectable for seven episodes and NBC still killed! the show. Well it's a long shot(from here to the moon) but maybe USA will have more sense.

May 22 2007 at 1:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Livi

It's a solid show and he really makes it work.

March 30 2007 at 11:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
No One

The show is nice. Anyone notice Star Trek's Linda Park in there?

Note to TV channels: Stop moving shows round!! I used to watch Scrubs a lot until I could no longer figure out where and when it was this week -- if it was on at all. And, those stupid ads at the bottom (if not encroaching all over the screen) which make noise interfere with the show I'm trying to watch. Even if they don't make noise. The ads during the show are bad enough. Is it any wonder I no longer watch TV, but catch everything on DVD? (DVDs have their own rant....)

March 30 2007 at 9:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JW

Awesome! I am happy they are moving Raines to Friday night. I will actually get to watch a show worth watching (actually two ABC30 in STL re-runs thursday night's Grey's Anatomy). I have always been a fan of Jeff Goldblum too. I miss the old Friday night line ups like ABC's TGIF and whatnot.

March 29 2007 at 11:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim Kosmicki

They made it pretty clear that he always talked to his partner to help figure out the crimes. Now that his partner is dead, he STILL does, but in his imagination. There's also been dialogue to indicate that he did this sort of role-playing with his partner, or at least in front of his partner. Now that he's solo, it makes him look loony.

it's a solid show. if it can't quite make it on NBC, it would be a good Friday night USA show -- this, Psych and Monk would be a solid block.

March 29 2007 at 8:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jon

It seems as if the loss of his partner has forced him to shut out the living and replace them with these hallucinations, which he appears to become rather emotionally involved with.

The tears he shed in his car when he put in the CD he took from the dead girl's mom just floored me. He is such a fantastic actor and I love the fact that although he is a somewhat rude and isolated private eye he is extremely vulnerable and self-aware.

March 29 2007 at 5:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
floretbroccoli

I don't watch any of the other I-talk-to-dead-people shows, but I have watched the first two episodes of Raines. I think the conceit of his talking to his own impression of the dead person is original and has much potential.

I particularly how the dead person changes as he learns more about them.

March 29 2007 at 5:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bgdc

First episode was solid enough. Always liked Goldblum though.

March 29 2007 at 5:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chuck

Has anyone else but me noticed that Frank Darabont directed the first episode and is executive producer?

I am really liking this show so far....

March 29 2007 at 4:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply