Idol conspiracy: Was Chris Sligh booted for shout-out to Vote for the Worst?

by Liz Finn-Arnold, posted Mar 29th 2007 6:21PM
Chris SlighLast night on American Idol, we all said "Bye Bye Curly." Did curly-haired Chris Sligh deserve to go home so soon? Or was there some vast conspiracy to oust Sligh for his on-air shout-out last week to Vote for the Worst?

At the end of last week's performance, Chris reportedly said, "Hi Dave." David Della Terza is the man behind VFTW, a snarky website he founded in 2004. Dave was thrilled by Sligh's on-air acknowledgement. But the Idol producers were not amused. According to Dave, the producers edited out the "Hi Dave" when the show aired in England.

FOX has reportedly tried to shut the subversive VFTW site down, without success. And now some people think FOX may have "fabricated" voting results to get rid of Chris Sligh for promoting the enemy site.

I think, FOX probably does hate VFTW for trying to undermine their competition, but I doubt they had anything to do with Sligh's eviction. Chris Sligh has performed rather poorly in recent weeks, and lost much of the charisma and charm that first won him a fanbase. As far as I'm concerned, Chris Sligh was done. He looked worn out by it all. It seemed obvious that his heart was no longer into it and he wanted to go home. Once he stopped trying, the audience picked up on that. So, he got what he wanted.

Idol conspiracy stories, however, make for much better headlines.

RealIdolFans

It was a shame to see this guy lose his edge. I hated to see him go, especially when you look at who is remaining. I'd hate to think that there was an inside job done on Chris, but in this season where conspiracy theories are running rampant, who could doubt anything we hear?
Let's just hope that someone finds a way to vote Sanjaya off. That's the biggest problem.
voteforthebest.org

April 02 2007 at 11:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Boof

I really think AI needs to die. Its a stupid show that crushes peoples dreams (some of whom are fantastic) and raises the ones who aren't that great, but can sing cheesy pop songs.

April 01 2007 at 11:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Claire

I though Chris S was good, but he surely wasn't my favorite. I have a news flash for all of you... JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE IS VOTED OFF YOU DON'T HAVE TO TALK OUT ALL THE DETAILS AND EXAGGERATE THE BAD POINTS. Because, in my opinion, Cris's perfromance was horrible that night, and that was what kicked him off the show. Simple.

April 01 2007 at 7:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
augustcapricorn

I was sorry to see Chris S. go, when there were at least 2 other contestants who could have gone.

What did Chris S. do before becoming an Idol contestant? Did he ever do any acting?

I was recently at a friends house and we watched the movie "Accepted", in which there was a character who looked exactly like Chris S. (same curly hair, glasses, and all). I wondered if I was looking at the same person, but I don't know.

If that wasn't Chris S. in the movie, it could have been his twin. If singing doesn't work out, maybe Chirs could go into acting.

April 01 2007 at 3:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
avril

If he shouted that out, he deserved to go. The sooner Sanjay is voted off the better. Please remember, this is supposed to be a "talent" contest.
People with no talent should go and go quickly.

March 31 2007 at 8:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Preston

Chris should have shut up about the Dave flap. He should have known that American Idol's producers are very protective of their contestants, let alone their product and image. I do remember when he took a swipe at Il Divo (and that irked Simon because they're on his RECORD LABEL) and even the Teletubbies! Somehow Idol doesn't like anyone to mention an outside competitor on their show, even Vote For the Worst. Those contestants need to stay quiet until the show wraps up its season, then later lash at the show's sometimes ridiculous process.

March 31 2007 at 5:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
belinda

I LOVED CHRIS. HE WAS THE ONLY ONE WHO HAD A UNIQUE VOICE. ONE I WOULD LISTEN TO WITHOUT GETTING A HEADACHE FROM ALL THE RUNS AND SCREAMS. REAL SMOOTH AND ENTERTAINING.

March 30 2007 at 5:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dkny

did the producers make him suck - that's why he's gone - the system is off though - you should vote for the person who should go home not the person who should stay - like the aprentice - America has voted and chris you suck

March 30 2007 at 10:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michelle

Yeah, that was my question. Why does any one think "Dave" is referring to that guy. There was a guy in the audience that had a "Bringing Chubby Back" sign, and I assumed it was a friend named Dave. Does anyone know?

March 30 2007 at 10:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allan

Yeah Johnny (13), Curly's a shoe-in if they ever make a movie musical on The Three Stooges.

March 30 2007 at 1:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply