On Idol, there's no shame in being No. 10

by Jon Peter Lewis, posted Mar 29th 2007 12:42PM

Jon Peter LewisI said Chris R. and some of you said Chris S. You were right and I was wrong. I guess "denial" ain't just a river in Egypt. (Sorry, I couldn't help it. I'm a sucker for bad puns) What I mean is that I was hoping Hurley would stick around a little longer, and I've been unwilling to admit his declining performance quality. He still may have done enough to have Hasselhoff shed some tears of joy, though.

The good news is that he's number ten. That means he's been getting at least AFTRA scale for the last two weeks and will get to make some loot on tour. An AI "work for hire" isn't exactly winning the Powerball lottery, but mini-bar debts won't be a problem anymore. I love the mini-bar.

Plus, playing arenas for 10-20,000 screaming fans is any singer's dream. It's the kind of opportunity that makes established indie acts loath and despise American Idols. I can't really blame them either. I'd be mad too if I watched someone do in nine months what I still hadn't achieved after years of work.

That lack of infrastructure eventually catches up to the Idols, though. Overnight celebrities are forgotten just as fast as they're made. Just wait, in a couple weeks time when we're still caught up on "When will what's-his-name finally be voted off the show" and "I wonder who will win the diva three-way throw-down," the guy with the curly hair will slip from our minds.

People often say to me, "You're probably better off not winning Idol," and I agree for the most part. I love the freedom, and the exposure Idol brings is unparalleled. But, coming in second, third, or any place other than first means waiting till three months after the airing of the last show to release anything. It's easy to forget in three months.

Still, performing for millions of people, no matter for how many (or few) weeks is never a bad thing. If Chris can get some decent songs together and pump out an album quickly he may have a shot at keeping a career going. No, there's no shame in 10.

Jon Peter Lewis was a finalist on the third season of "American Idol." His newly released debut album, "Stories From Hollywood," is available everywhere online and can also be downloaded at americanidol.com. Visit Jon's Web site for more.

COOKIE

ITS SAD THAT SANJAYA IS BEING USED AS A SCAPEGOAT FOR SOMEONES PANEL OR RATINGS ON THEIR RADIO SHOW.. HE ADMITS ALREADY THAT HE'S NOT ONE OF THE BEST SINGERS OF THE GROUP AND PEOPLE STILLINSIST ON VOTING FOR HIM.. ITS A SINGING COMPETITION, NOT TRYING TO GET BACK ON IDOL BECAUSE THEY DON'T LIKE THE SHOW.

April 04 2007 at 8:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brenda

Hey Jon! I remember you well from season 3 on AI. You were one of my favorites. I thought you were nice looking and quite the entertainer. I always figured we'd see you in a comedy movie some day. You have the talent for that. Best of luck in whatever comes your way and God bless!

April 03 2007 at 7:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Willa

I also have to mention Elliott Yamin. He has been betwen #1 and #3 on the Billboard Indie Charts and he has been making the rounds on TV.. Regis, Ellen, etc. He is my favorite idol ever.

Good luck on your CD! I agree with everyone who said keep your photo on there. Glad to see another Idol still out there battlin'. Being an Idol doesn't minimize your talent.. just a new way of doing things.. kind of like finding a husband on the internet.

April 02 2007 at 5:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sam

HPF has now fallen to #45. But that's still a lot better than certain other idols.

April 01 2007 at 3:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Caitlin

Jon, I just bought Stories from Hollywood off of itunes and am listening to it now... love your voice/sound so much!!!

I agree that winning AI isn't necessarily better than coming in any place in the top ten... winning was good for Kelly and Carrie, but then there's always YOU, Jennifer Hudson, Chris Daughtry, Clay, etc. who didn't win and are doing just fine.

I have to say I've been rooting for Chris R over Chris S... but the top guy is definitely Blake. I am looking forward to seeing whether he can bust through into the finals, despite Melinda and Lakisha initially being the favorites. I think a modern, edgy sound will sell much better....

March 30 2007 at 11:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jolie

I liked this one much better than last weeks... Too bad for Sligh... But hey.. Maybe next week Sanjaya will look more human and less like a troll than he did this week... But you never know... ;)

And I also enjoy seeing which picture you decide to use with each blog...

Peace!

March 29 2007 at 10:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Samantha

Keep putting your picture up there Jon. I like seeing them and so does a bunch of other ladies too. Liked what you wrote too.

March 29 2007 at 9:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
badpacifist

Chris Sligh does have an album out and it is really good. As a matter of fact it is right now at A M A Z O N dot com Sales Rank: #23 in Music (See Top Sellers in Music)

March 29 2007 at 7:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
badpacifist

He does have an album on Amazon and it is really good.
It is at #23 in music sales right now!

March 29 2007 at 7:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kat Okon

Bitch, bitch, moan, moan, Michael. Woman only say they are not impressed with seeing you. JPL can keep doing his pictures. I love seeing which one will go up next. Jon you are such a fox.

Oh and JP, I FREAKIN' LOVE YOU MAN!!! ROTFWL! I wish you had more time to blog this stuff everyday.

March 29 2007 at 6:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply