August 1, 2014

The Great American Dream Vote is already a goner

by Anna Johns, posted Mar 29th 2007 7:51PM
donny osmondHey, here's a shocker: The Great American Dream Vote has dismal ratings. So bad, in fact, that ABC yanked it off the schedule after airing only two episodes. Donny Osmond was the host of the sick game show that had people come on television and tell their sob story and beg to have their dream come true. Even the promos for the show made it sound demented and wrong. Last night's episode came in dead last behind fourth place Friday Night Lights on NBC. Instead, ABC will fill the Wednesday 8 pm time slot with episodes of George Lopez.

While we may never know whose dream comes true, I can tell you that mine has.

Bob

I watched the TV show taping in person, just so I could see Donny Osmund. He looks terrific, BTW. The version shown on TV was highly edited and the sequence had been altered. Donny Osmund, who is a grandfather now, was well worth the 3 hour taping. I hope he gets another show.

May 20 2007 at 12:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jack

First of all, this show was a joke, but in no way is it a reflection of how "sick" our nation is. Our nation is the most generous nation in the world and leads the fight against every disease that this world is plaqued by. We as Americans also donate more money per capita to charity than any nation on earth. None of this takes into account the tax dollars that our citizens "most of which our good hearted, law abiding, hard working, and generous" pay to our government to also further many of these great causes. Because a show came up with an idea, albeit a stupid one, to make superficial dreams come true...and a few people fell for it and got used is in no way... let me repeat....in no way is a reflection of our nation. Actually, the fact that this show was cancelled after two episodes is a more accurate reflection of this nation than anything else that had to do with this cheesy show.

April 26 2007 at 11:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pamela

They could have done better with the show. Some of the things shown were not dreams, like wanting your kids to move out. The guy that wanted to try out for football, I would have liked to see him get the chance. To dream the impossible dream and have it come true would have kept it on the air. Donny was great!!!! I would have kept watching it just to see him!!! Give him his own show and let him decide what it should be.

April 21 2007 at 5:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kuy

The Great American Dream Vote could have made it if ABC would have made it similar to the Sunday night show "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" but made it for those who have ideas on how to make improvements to their Communities. As it was, it was just too shallow and basically showed how sick our Nation is with "Me Me Me"...

April 10 2007 at 8:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Connie Dinkle

I watched this show with my cousins Janet Buttimer and Tonya Buttimer, and we all threw up chunks. The show sucked, and Janet threw a chair at the TV.

April 07 2007 at 1:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard

LOVED THE HOST! Yah but the show was terrible. I am even surprised with all of the shows Donny has had that he would even bight at this one? Can't say that I am sorry that it is gone--other than to see Donny it had NOTHING!

April 04 2007 at 10:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Linda King

I also thought the first two episodes were rather silly and even dumb. I also prayed that there might be a serious side to the show and this might be my chance for some help. I'm so in credit card debt that I attempted suicide twice in Jaunary and this really scared my kids, who are always there for me. I wanted to take them on a vacation for two weeks, to an Island. Well, now that dream is gone for good. What will be done with all the letters, ect?
Will you send them back? In the future, don't start a show that gives people hope and then yank it away so soon. Linda

April 04 2007 at 8:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Terry

I loved the host....still love the host! I am not a fan of the type of dreams that were presented. I mean, when a bald guy wins out over Hound heaven' What does that say about our country? I don't know. I am sometimes embarrassed by human nature. I think more deserving or really heart touching dreams would have insured this shows longevity and me being able to see Donny more often. Oh well, donny.com here I come. May all of your dreams come true.

April 03 2007 at 9:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joan

I have to tell you that even though some of those dreams were a bit odd......I did a video yesterday and was ready to fedex it to LA today. I had such hopes of my dream coming true.

April 02 2007 at 4:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Preston

To answer comment #10, I remember when "The One" lasted for 2 episodes last July. Looking back, it copied American Idol way too much. As for this show, I didn't see it lasting. Dreams are meant to be done on your own, not letting someone else decide on your dream. ABC needs to get out of the game show business and focus on their hit dramas like Grey's Anatomy and get better on their comedies! That's two in a row that have flopped for ABC on Tuesday! Putting this kind of show and getting CRUSHED by American Idol on Tuesday night was a complete DISASTER! It's probably 96th, 99th or 100th place in the ratings the way it looks! Didn't ABC know that 30 million people watch American Idol on the other network, Fox? Those people plan to watch Idol that night and nowhere else! And I feel sorry for all those people that won't even have their dreams fulfilled. Guess they'll have to walk on some long, long road 3,000 miles from New York or Pennsylvania to California to fulfill their dream or success. And with no laptop or Blackberry to carry along with them......

March 31 2007 at 4:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply