April 23, 2014

Yes, Studio 60 is still filming

by Bob Sassone, posted Mar 29th 2007 2:24PM

Studio 60...of course, the second part of that headline should probably be "...but it probably won't be renewed."

There have been rumors going around that Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip had stopped production, but that's not the case. In fact, they just finished filming episode 19 earlier this week, and filming of episode 20 started earlier today. So it looks like they'll film the full 22 for the season, but after that...well, they'll probably burn off the episodes during the summer and the show will not see a second season. That's Ray Richmond's take on it, and I agree with him.

Which is really too bad, because...well, for all the reasons I've mentioned several times here at the site before. And it's too bad that NBC abandoned the show, even though other shows that have premiered since Studio 60 was put on hiatus haven't done any better in the ratings. It would have been really nice to see what the show could have done in another time slot, another night. But I guess we'll have to be happy with a one season DVD set, hopefully with extras.

[via TV Tattle]

jeanbean

I know nothing about filming shows, however, I can't
Wing, Black Donnelly's, or 30 Rock but S60 I adored! The actors work so well together. Never really noticed Mathew Perry before but he blows me away in every episode. I agree they need to give it more
time.

April 14 2007 at 11:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jeanbean

I know nothing about filming shows, however, I can't help but wonder if the actors always have jobs. If they cancel S60, do they have a back up job? If not, and if they believe in the show themselves, perhaps they could take a (dare I say) pay cut? I never watched West Wing, Black Donnelly's, or 30 Rock but S60 I adored! The actors work so well together. Never really noticed Mathew Perry before but he blows me away in every episode.
I agree they need to give it more time.

April 14 2007 at 11:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vj

OK, everybody... It's my fault.

I loved "SportsNight" and watched it religiously (bought the DVD set too).

Cancelled before the film was even dry.

Never watched "West Wing". Ever.

On for seven (?) seasons.

Been watching "Studio 60" religiously...

April 03 2007 at 8:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pete

Studio 60 was my favorite show of the year, and maybe there is something wrong with me, but I didn't find Sarah Paulson to be the problem. I think the show just hasn't found its identity yet. Up front it was a show about a comedy show that wasn't funny. Other than a very few (I have a degree in Theater) that backstage life isn't all that appealing.

Then it turned to a romantic comedy, with not one but two romances. West Wing took some time to develop as well, and I think that when Sorkin finds his stride, it'll be great. I just don't know if there is enough time left to find the stride with only 6 episodes remaining. There were some amazing elementts of S60 that when used appropriately, could turn the show around. Things like having Sting perform a song off of his new album. Terrific place for it.

The final bad news is that the per episode cost is simply way too high. At $2-$3 million per episode the cost for the show is in the $50 million range. An awful lot to carry with only around 6 million viewers per episode. Maybe there will be a TV miracle, but it will take NBC beleiving that it is possible and turning loose the marketing dogs to win a few people back into the fold.

April 02 2007 at 10:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kyle

I find it interesting that it seems that nearly every Studio 60 critic seems to believe that Sarah Paulson is the scapegoat for the show low performance, and she was the only actor from the show to receive a Golden Globe nomination. Not that the Golden Globes are the be-all and end-all of TV kudos, but it's certainly interesting.

March 31 2007 at 8:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gail

happy birthday to me! please nbc bring this show back
i havent watched one episode of black donnelys

March 30 2007 at 10:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GAD

I've been wondering when Studio 60 would return and I'm not just learning that it probably wont. That's a shame! In my opinion the show was very good and I don't believe NBC gave it much of a chance.

But here's a thought....if they're not going to keep Studio 60, then bring back The West Wing with the new administration.

March 30 2007 at 1:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sharron

I don't understand the thinking that it won't come back sooner rather than later. Black Donnelly's has lower ratings, they can't take that dead horse into sweeps with the performance its provided up against repeats! They also should have learned not to expect much at that time (see this article about 9PM in Chicago http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/features/peterson/20070323-9999-1c23karla.html). In other words it's not the show, stupid nbc. Another recent article (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display television/news/e3i87331fd42c57f3921340fc15f536a527) mentions the good numbers Studio 60 gets in ways of hits on nbc.com. It's also the sixth most searched show at zap2it.com. If NBC just wants to burn it, it's because they don't own it.

March 29 2007 at 11:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Sarah Paulson is way down on my list of why I don't like Studio 60. If I want smug, one dimensional browbeating sermons I can watch The 700 Club.

30 Rock, Tina Fey's writing and Alec Baldwin, yes.

Studio 60, Sorkin's preach ... I mean writing and Steven Weber, no.

March 29 2007 at 5:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
innamorata

"I guess we'll have to be happy with a one season DVD set, hopefully with extras."

*sigh*

I like the show so I'll get the DVD set but I still wish NBC would air the remaining episodes.

March 29 2007 at 5:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply