October 25, 2014

Plane survivors Vs. the Others

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Mar 30th 2007 6:02PM
LostWhen Lost premiered, fans didn't have to decide who they liked best between the plane survivors and the Others as when the latter were first mentioned, it was clear they were the bad guys. Things got confirmed when Ethan was found out and when we witnessed the boat scene at the end of the Season 1 finale.

Have things changed since then? Do we still think the famous Others are so bad? When new episodes air, do we pray to see more scenes in Othersville or at the beach? Do we root for Juliet or Kate to get Jack? That may be another issue, but it's sill a plane survivor versus an Other.

Maybe this issue cannot be that easily decided. We root the plane survivors because we have been with them since the first frame of the pilot and we grew attached to them for the past 2 years and a half. We root the Others because they are mysterious, powerful, twisted and have all the good food and the clean clothes.

What else do each sides have for us to decide if we prefer the plane survivors to the Others? Let's review some facts.

I don't think I can decide between the plane survivors and the Others without getting a bit personal. So if you have other pros and cons for each, feel free to comment.

Plane survivors: As I've mentioned before, we have followed their journey since Day 1, so of course, we all grew attach to them and we want them to get what they desire most (maybe except for Locke): get off the island. I'm really interested in seeing what new ideas they have to survive on the beach, what connections there are between characters, if they will find a way to get off the island, and if they will find new info about the island or the Others, etc. Oh, and not to forget, the cute men are plane survivors (Jack and Sawyer probably being the ones that people dream most about).

Others: I love the mysterious side of each of them and love to watch their stories unfold so I can learn more about Dharma, the Others themselves (how they got there, why are they on the island, etc.), etc. I'm a fan of Lost Easter Eggs and mythology, so for me, scenes in Othersville give me more goodies than the beach scenes lately (of course flashbacks of any kind usually have good Easter Eggs). The character of Ben is fascinating me: what is he really all about, is he the son of the Dharma founders, what is his ultimate game plan, did his mother give him enough love as a child (there must be some logical explanation to why he is so devious), etc.

In all, I think that I'm still rooting for plane survivors Vs. the Others. Or should we just be more interested in the island? Or the others that are not plane survivors or Others (Danielle, Desmond, etc.)?

Steve

I believe that the Others are brain washed in a cult sort of way (choosing death over being captured, "choosing" to stay on the island, the clock work organe scene).

So it is hard to root for brain washed people, other than to root that they leave their cult and get a real life.

But the surviors are not such an innocent group so as to accurately represent the rest of the 7-8 billion of us. Kinda like sending a bunch of immature teenage hoodlums to rescue the Jim Jones cool aid party.

March 31 2007 at 5:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
natalie

Lost is the best Tv show I have ever seen keep jup the good work!!!!!!!

March 31 2007 at 3:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tanya Palta

For me its a no brainer! I will always root for the losties however the others make for fantastic villains (Cold, calculating, creepy and funny).

Since the first episode I connected with the core group as seldom do you come across such well etched characters on television! They losties may be flawed but they still are a great bunch!

Oh and I will root for Kate than Juliet and looking forward to the catfight!

More than the others I want them to now throw some light on the creepy super-natural stuff which we saw in season1.

March 31 2007 at 1:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
J.G.

Lost had so much potential but now I am just lost with new people they keep adding and now they are 90 days in or more and Sun is still skinney as ever, why isn't she showing yet?

March 31 2007 at 12:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

I just can't pick one over the other. It's like asking if in a Reese's I prefer the peanut butter or the chocolate, or which of my children I love more. It's the old "the sum is greater than the parts" situation. You can't have one without the other and they're equally as important.

Losties and Others are both my favorites! Now I'm dizzy and I think I'll go lie down...

March 31 2007 at 12:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RedStarRevolution

Well when you go with a straight comparison, it's a little tough to judge.

Leaders, Ben v Jack, easy, Ben wins because he is mysterious, his character is great, and well, he's just damn cool. And not to dumb this down at all, but Jack, he's a douche, and his story is uninteresting and cliched.

moving on...

Juliet v Kate, this is tougher, mostly because I like them both equally. They both bring a ton to the show, and both play their characters very well. We'll call this a draw.

And this is where the major comparisons end. That's why its hard to judge the Other v Losties at this point, we just don't know anything much about the Others besides the tiny bits they've revealed, and past Ben and Juliet, there's not many familiar faces at all, outside of maybe Tom, who we know nothing about, and Goodwin/Ethan, who are both dead.

Maybe revisiting this topic after Season 3 would produce a clearer picture.

March 30 2007 at 9:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RSL

Let's not forget that just because we root for the Lostaways doesn't mean they're good. Every survivor's backstory [except notably for Jack and, perhaps, Claire] reveals a rather loathsome character. It wouldn't shock me if Ben's [inevitable] flashback shows someone surprisingly sympathetic.

March 30 2007 at 8:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

I didn't know that preference has become an issue. The Others have consistently stated that they don't want the survivors because they're consumed by fear, anger and hatred...they're flawed. The recent episode served to solidify that. No person or event can MAKE you do anything, or become anything, that's why the survivors keep following the same patterns. It is my view that Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse (I'm never calling them Darlton), are trying to send the message that you don't need a catastophic event to push you to evolve, to make progress in your life, it's YOU who has to absorb the experience in a constructive way. We get so annoyed with television when there is realism...is it because we are reminded of our OWN patterns?

I know TV Squad and it's commenters got upset when Nightline did a piece on Lost being a metaphor for the 9/11 and the after effects, and the Others being metaphors for Al Qaeda. The response was pretty much, "It's just a TV SHOW!" or, "ABC is just doing cross promotion." But, I've been thinking about it ever since and have noticed that there are a lot of similarities; the Others believe that the survivors are invaders even though the survivors don't see themselves that way, the Others having a lifestyle/religion that they are willing to be selective about according to what suits them and not willing to look at themselves and becoming hypocrites. The Hanso Foundation could be a metaphor for Halliburton, or any corporation that makes money from war-mongering. What is the metaphor for the monster? KARMA.

I know I'm in the minority by wanting them to actually TALK to each other and let each other know how they feel there is an injustice layed upon them, and letting each other know what is it that they want from each other; an exchange, diplomacy, Non-Violence, a little civilization.

March 30 2007 at 7:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kyle Beasley

The Others: Here's the thing, I love me a clever villain. Ben is witty and deceitful. Actually most of the others are. Sawyer too for that matter. I like them because they are spontaneous and they make me laugh. They also shock me at times.

As for the Islanders:Jack remains the boy scout, but I know where he is going. I like him because he is noble. Kate is hot, nuff said there. Charlie and Hurly, are funny in their hetero-lifemate kinda way. Locke has pissed me off ever since the start of the second season. He used to be mysterious and level headed. Now he is whiny and crazy. He lost all his cool. Sawyer I mentioned before and is awesome for those reasons. He's kinda a villain. Jin and Sun I root for. Desmond is crazy and hilarious.

I like the entertaining characters in the show the best. Those are the ones I root for. The ones that don't entertain="meh". The rest I don't really care about. Claire, Walt and Michael, Rousseau, Bernard and Rose, and the rest.

When asked who would I want to come out on top at the end of the show if they were all to battle? My answer is a simple one. Vincent.

March 30 2007 at 7:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allen

Well, as far as dreamy, I prefer Kate to Sawyer or Jack. But, then again, GothClaire made the show easy to watch with one hand.
As far as the others....remember that Sawyer was reading Watership Down at one point. There are a lot of parallels between that book at our beloved Lost. And that book ended pret-ty violently.
The beauty of this show is in the unraveling. It's made for DVD. What sucks is that it looks like we are going to have to wait until 08 for Season 4....

March 30 2007 at 7:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply