August 1, 2014

Um, who exactly was offended by the Queen's death on South Park?

by Adam Finley, posted Mar 30th 2007 4:20PM

queenA lot of stories are popping up about the scene in the most recent episode of South Park that shows the Queen of England putting a pistol in her mouth and blowing skull fragments and brain matter all over the wall behind her. These stories, mostly coming from the UK, tell of the "controversial" scene and how it "shocked viewers."

And yet, not a single one of these stories, from what I can tell, gives any real evidence that the scene in question stirred up any controversy whatsoever. The stories merely suggest that, given the series' knack for courting controversy, people were probably bothered by the Queen's suicide, as well.

I'm not from the UK, but I am a South Park fan, and as I said in my review of the episode, the Queen's suicide was so quintessentially South Park I hardly batted an eye. If anything, the whole sequence seemed a little too easy, especially by South Park standards. I'll admit I'm not easily offended, but South Park hasn't shocked or surprised me in several years. That's not a slag against the show, it just means I'm tuned into its sensibility.

CaptKahunah

It doesn't surprise me that the media is making a big deal out of the 'offensiveness' of the Queen committing sucide on SP, but it did surprise me that they didn't make a big deal out of the christmas episode where Jesus whips out a bowie knife and guts two muslim guards.

Way more offensive.

April 02 2007 at 11:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ashley Allen

As an Englishman I'm not offended, I doubt the vast majority of the UK won't be. Sure some people might but they will be the same people who'll be offended by just about every south park there's ever been.

I saw the BBC had run a story about people being offended but it's the BBC it's almost their job to be pro-royal.

As I said it'll just be a small minority, the type with rooms full of Charles and Di cups and plates who probibly don't even know what a south park is. Aka Old people who stink of wee.

March 31 2007 at 7:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike Brown

The papers printed the same thing about the Irwin stuff over here, too. South Park offending people isn't exactly new.

March 31 2007 at 3:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DarthPaul

Heh, it takes something very special to offend me, and I've not met anyone who can do it yet.

I'm from the North of England - we're bred wih thick skins up here (from the constant degradation from the South - kinda the opposite to the US I guess!)

March 31 2007 at 2:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

Chet-you made a great point. This is another case of "the press" manipulating something for a story. And I, unfortunately, fell for it.

What's interesting is that they're focusing on the Queen offing herself...and ignoring the portrayal of Hillary Clinton with a nuke in her private parts.

March 30 2007 at 11:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

LordPaul-I'm glad you enjoyed the episode. Sorry if I offended you.

March 30 2007 at 11:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chet

We should not give a moment's thought to news reports of who MIGHT have been offended, or who reporters thought SHOULD have been offended, or reporters who were themselves offended and referenced vague unsubstantiated "Brits" to give false import to their opinion, or (most likely) reporters who thought a report about someone being offended would get them readers/viewers and generally bolster their unfounded feelings of importance and social relevance.

Aww, crap. That took several moments to write.

IGNORE ME!

March 30 2007 at 9:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BillS

If anything, the people who would be offended just don't watch South Park (because it would offend them on a regular basis). So I think the news people report it, figuring the offendable people will read the news, and then their story retroactively becomes true!

Either that, or it's a plant by someone affiliated with the show or the network that shows it over there to ensure that it will be one of the highest rated South Parks ever.

March 30 2007 at 8:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DarthPaul

1. Clearly the Brits don't quite get SP yet.

5. ...Funny, I thought the Brits were bigtime fans of 24. I guess not.

Hey, guess what - another Brit here - don't be so quick to think it's "the Brits" who are offended - in fact, I don't think any of those articles mention that as fact, and none of them are UK sources.

My reply on the review of the show thread was to the effect that I thought the episode was hilarious & the representation of the English as manky toothed toff redcoats was brilliant!

I'm all for South Park - the only time I think it misses the mark is when the stories don't seem to push the boundaries of humour.

Also - the Royal family gets a shitload of stick over here just for existing so I'm pretty sure the only people it will offend are hardenned royalists or people from the colonies who still think the royal family is anything more than a tourist attraction.

BTW - I bought the a domain called Queenwatch a couple of years ago with the intention of making money if the queen went the way of the pope (slowly) but I think I let it slide cos she's taking too long!

March 30 2007 at 7:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

Apparently all the people who were offended by the Queen's "suicide" have never seen 24. Several times throughout 24's run, a baddie has fallen on his sword rather than be caught alive and be forced to surrender information. It's a prominent motif of the series, one that the South Park creators were paying homage to.

Funny, I thought the Brits were bigtime fans of 24. I guess not.

March 30 2007 at 6:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply