October 21, 2014

Who's going to miss Miss America?

by Bob Sassone, posted Mar 30th 2007 9:00AM

Miss AmericaThe Miss America Pageant just can't get a break.

It lost its major network contract a few years ago and went to CMT for two years, and now the show is homeless again. CMT has decided not to renew the contract for the show. Producers are looking for another network for the show.

I have no doubt they'll find another outlet, but I wonder why this show is having so much trouble when The Miss USA Pageant and Miss Universe Pageant get so-so ratings and still get renewed until 2011. Is it because Donald Trump is behind those events? Does Miss America have to be involved in some scandal to get attention? Maybe one of the Miss America contestants can kill a guy with her bare hands, or be photographed coming out of a car without underwear on? How about putting them all on an island?

Readers, lets help the producers out. How can this show compete in this new television landscape?

Brad Hasbrouck

I'm hoping FOX would be interested to acquire to broadcast rights to carry the Miss America Pageant?

June 04 2007 at 7:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brelado

Well, I personally know many young women who have benefitted (and continue to benefit) from the Miss America organization. Maybe if people just realize that it truly is a scholarship competition rather than a pageant, it might find a home. Unfortunately, the similar competition for younger girls, Junior Miss, went the way of the Model T just a few years ago (Diane Sawyer was the national Junior Miss in her day). As someone else said, the Miss USA/Universe organization focuses much more on looks than anything else, as evidenced by the recent scandals in that organization. It has been awhile since a Miss America was in a scandal -- I think Vanessa Williams was the last-- and the organization would not stand for it as the "other" one has.. Someone please step up and help keep the largest contributor of scholarships for women alive ! Maybe PBS , A & E, or Bravo??? The college fate of many young women depends on the Miss America organization being around for a long, long time to come..

April 02 2007 at 4:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LeeAnn

First we need to clarify that the MISS AMERICA PAGEANT is not a beauty contest but a Scholarship Contest. Miss USA is the Beauty Pageant.

Being 56 years old, I have watched many of the shows over the years, and unforunately since Bert Parks was so rudely relieved of his duties, the Miss America Pageant has declined each year. The show was always a "must see" in Atlantic City and now that too has fallen on the wayside.

I have no idea of what the problem is within the organization itself, but I truly think they need a new group of individuals to come in with a fresh new outlook and bring the contest back to it's roots.

One of the HUGE differences there is bewteen the Miss America and Miss USA pageants are morals or lack of them. This has nothing to do with the riff between Trump and O'Donnell, but people let's get real, would you want your daughter emulating someone who behaved as bad as this past years Miss USA or would you want her to behave in the manner set forth in the guidelines of the Miss America Pageant? Sure I believe in second chances, but like in every situation the matter needs to have guidelines set forth and for an infraction that this young lady broke, there shouldn't have been any second chances.

As for revamping the show into a "reality type format", it sounds good as long as they actually edit material of substance. It seems that all the reality shows at present throw away on the editing floor all that is positive and keep only the negative. There has to be an even balance between the two. That is REALITY........good and bad!!!!

March 31 2007 at 8:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
karen Arthur

I feel bad about the Miss America pagant losing its network. Miss America has always been about the "Total package " brains , talent and beauty, which is the true measure of a person. What is inside not just the outside. I have watched the pagant since I was a little girl with my parents since my Dad was Jackie Mayers teacher.I was lucky enough to be a freind or Heather Whitestone. Its a shame the Pagant is good for the scholarships it offers to the ladies . I would hate to see it go away. I would love to hear from others who agree.

March 30 2007 at 8:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent McKee

Bring back Bert Parks. I mean sure he's dead, but with modern CGI technology that's just a minor detail, and "Miss America" has been going downhill since he was fired.

March 30 2007 at 3:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian

#9 is absolutely correct. Miss America used to be, as Kramer put it, "every little girl's dream." Now, however, the importance of being crowned Miss America is gone. People only view it as a beauty contest, but because it doesn't play to looks the way Miss USA does (the women often aren't as attractive, and the competition is often more conservative), it doesn't really interest people anymore.

March 30 2007 at 1:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan

#5 has it nailed...make it into a reality TV show where it runs over 13 weeks and a handful of contestants get eliminated every week until we get our "finalists"....then throw them all into a big vat of Jello and let the best gal win...

March 30 2007 at 12:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lorie

Miss America is the largest contributer of scholarships for college aged women in America. It is NOT a "beauty pageant", and I think that is where it loses its ratings. People want to see T&A these days, and Miss America is too conservative. What a shame. I was really kind of taken aback by the intros for Miss USA this year. Those girls came out and looked like robots. They even did the 5 second hesitation between their name, city and state. And to refer to them throughout the competition not by name, but by state, was in my opinion objectifying them to the point of being almost sad. When the winner was announced, she was announced as "Tennessee". Does anyone even know her name?

March 30 2007 at 12:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff N.

Beauty Pagents are stupid. The public just aren't interested any longer.

March 30 2007 at 11:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim

I say send it to VH-1 and late's see more than just the last night of the competition. There are several nights of preliminary competitions - why don't we get to see ALL the ladies in the talent competition? Get behind the scenes and cover it like a reality show. Cover it in-depth, show the drama and the emotion - not just the pretty stuff on stage.

March 30 2007 at 11:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply