July 25, 2014

Smallville actor signs on for Teen Wolf remake

by Adam Finley, posted Mar 31st 2007 12:01PM

tom welling

Note that other sites have categorized this as merely a rumor since I first posted this. Update at end of post.

Like most people who wish for dumb things, I've been patiently waiting for someone to remake the 1985 Michael J. Fox movie Teen Wolf, or to at least film my script that re-imagines Beowulf with Scott Baio in the lead role (I call it BaioWolf). Yes, I know Beowulf has nothing to do with werewolves, but in BaioWolf, everyone is a werewolf, something I believe the original epic poem lacked.

Well, apparently it's happening, and Smallville's Tom Welling has signed on for the Teen Wolf remake, but not as the titular werewolf. In this remake, the werewolf will be female. No word yet on who will play the lead, and apparently the filmmakers are still scouting locations.

When I first heard that Superman was going to be in a Teen Wolf remake, I couldn't help but think how cool it would be to see a Superman/Werewolf hybrid, a super creature torn between his desire to do good and his need to kill: "he outruns silver bullets ... because they could kill him."

Hell, why not bring Abbott and Costello into the movie, too? Yes, I know they're both dead, but so is John F. Kennedy and he appeared in at least two high grossing films in the '90s.

While I wait for Hollywood to make my SuperWerewolf picture, might I also suggest a combination Aquaman/Frankenstein or a zombie Wonder Woman? Also, vampire Smurfs would be awesome. Somebody get me Spielberg on the phone so we can get the ball rolling.

Update: Smallville fansite Kryptonsite cites "reliable sources" that Welling will not be in the Teen Wolf remake, though I still maintain a SuperWerewolf movie would be awesome. Thanks to x99thomas for the update.

WeeJames

Smells like an April Fools joke..

April 01 2007 at 6:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
x99thomas

From Kryptonsite

"Tom Welling Not Doing Teen Wolf
The Dark Horizons website is reporting on the rumor that Tom Welling will be starring in an upcoming movie remake of the 1980's Jeph Loeb creation Teen Wolf.

Reliable sources are telling us that this is just an internet rumor, to put right up there with "John Glover as Skeletor," and that Tom is not starring in Teen Wolf."

March 31 2007 at 3:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BillS

BaioWolf is one of the funniest things I've ever read.

March 31 2007 at 2:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chet

Yes! People will surely line up to see a movie where a cute chick gets hairy.

March 31 2007 at 2:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JW

Why do they always screw up the remake of a movie and replace the main character(s) with a female or of another race. Teenwolf, The Honeymooners, Charlotte's Web are the only one's I can think of at the moment.

March 31 2007 at 1:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stephen Prescott

so he didn't want to be superman for bryan singer, but he wants to do this?...though his turning down of the superman role could have had something to do with the crappy script. so, i'll give him some credit for that.

March 31 2007 at 1:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply