October 20, 2014

Doctor Who: Smith and Jones

by Martin Conaghan, posted Apr 2nd 2007 7:58AM
Doctor and Martha kiss(S03E01) You can say what you like, but I won't be listening -- Doctor Who is one of the best, if not the best, television programmes of all time, and Russell T. Davies' current incarnation of the character and franchise is no exception.

The return of series three was marked by several important milestones in the character's chronology (if a linear method of cataloging the Doctor's life can be described in traditional terms); the introduction of a new companion, the setup of plot and theme for the rest of the series, and the subtle hints at bigger things yet to come.

Warning: spoilers after the jump.
If you thought Billie Piper was good as Rose Tyler, then Freema Agyeman as Martha Jones looks set to commit the memory of the Doctor's most recent companion to the distant past.

Confident, intelligent and very beautiful; Agyeman captures the qualities necessary in a great companion and injects something new to the series in the shape of a female character fit for the Doctor's fanciful ways. Oh, and she even got to kiss him in one of her very early scenes.

I don't think the plot of the opening episode was terribly significant, other than to introduce Martha to the backdrop of a London hospital being transported to the Moon while a bunch of intergalactic policemen searched for a renegade alien (a blood-sucking Plasmavore).

As many viewers have already noted, the 'Vote Saxxon' posters which appeared all over the place in Torchwood have started showing up in Doctor Who (there was even a mention of Mr Saxxon on a radio news bulletin near the end of this episode).

Mr Saxxon, is, of course, the politician character to be played by John Simm (Life on Mars) in the finale to the current series. Rumours abound as to his true identity, The Master being a potential.

Another significant development has set the rumour mill running, when the Doctor casually remarked when asked if he had a brother, replied: "not any more".

I don't need to tell you that the Doctor helped to save the day, as ever -- but it's the way he does it which matters. And, as before, he persuaded Martha to join him on his never-ending journey through space in the TARDIS, with the now-immortal line "it also travels in time".

8.2 million people tuned in to watch the first episode, according to early BBC figures, seeing off competition from Harry Potter on the rival channel ITV, and next week's preview gave us a glimpse of the Doctor and Martha paying a visit to William Shakespeare.

Priest

Mister Saxon is an anagram of Master No Six or, the fact that this new person, will be the sixth person to portray the master (6th Reincarnation)

Also i loved the ''it's bigger on the inside'' part :D

April 04 2007 at 3:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lampbane

Martha has already proven to be smarter than Rose, so she's off to a good start. But not to put down poor Rose - she's got a good heart. This opener was, however, much better than the previous two season openers.

April 02 2007 at 9:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
honey

This first episode of the season went by so quickly, that I almost felt angry that it was over. I love Martha, and think that she compliments the Doctor nicely. I appreciated the references to Rose however, because she was a much loved character, and still is. David Tennant brings such a wit and amazing to this iconic character. I can't wait to see him face off with John Simm...it will probably be the highlight of my t.v. year.

April 02 2007 at 1:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DarthPaul

From this single episode I can pretty much tell she's going to be a much better assistant that Billie was. She doesn't gurn like a muppet for one thing & she seems to be portrayed as having more than a spoonful of intelligence, which will put her on the right level to be a decent foil for the doctor & hopefully will not try (or be portrayed as) stealing the show because it was in danger of becoming the Rose Tyler show last season.

I've no idea whether John Simm will be the Master, but he is one of the best character actors out there & he'll be more than capable of carrying it off.

April 02 2007 at 1:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DudeBoyz

I really liked the new character. She is beautiful, smart and adventurous, plus she has a very tangible level of sex appeal.

I thought the kiss between them was pretty hot, and her reaction was very well done.

I'd like to see them become romantically involved, actually. It would be a very nice step to see an inter-racial couple off seeking adventure together.

I hope the rest of the season progresses well and that the fans accept her with open arms.

April 02 2007 at 12:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stephen Prescott

while i agree that doctor who is the best show on tv i have to disagree about martha jones. she is no rose tyler and i for one will not soon forget about rose.

April 02 2007 at 11:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

I just hope that no one leaves the show this season. I'm sick of someone leaving at the end of the season.

April 02 2007 at 11:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The Dude

Love love love Doctor Who... and thank the sweet zombie jesus for the magic of the internets and being able to torrent through its tubes & pipes.

Don't care that we already know the Master will return, just looking forward to more David Tennant Doctor Who-ey goodness.

+ there are probably at least 2 other time lords still alive: Susan & the Rani. I would kill for the return of Susan.

I also submit this: the Doctor & Co. (Hartnell era) watching the Beatles on TV... and their predictions are pretty spot on... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UkbNlTAIPI&NR

April 02 2007 at 11:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

I wouldn't necessarily say the Master's return is a certainity. (Unless you've read SPOILERs...which I try to avoid).

It could be the Meddling Monk, last seen in the Hartnell era. I've heard that is a good possiblity as RTD is not a fan of the Master.

April 02 2007 at 10:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby OB

If it does pan out that the Master is returning and is actually the Doctor's brother, I hope they can somehow link it all to a small scene from the Pertwee years. The Third Doctor was reminiscing (I think to Jo) that when he was a young lad, he went through the darkest period of his life (obviously long before the Time War). Only a chance encounter with some wise old hermit set him back on course through Life.

I wish I could remember which episode that was from, but it might be the one that was set in Atlantis....

So it could be that whatever happened, it caused a rift between the Doctor and his brother.

April 02 2007 at 9:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply