December 20, 2014

Entourage: the best tag lines on TV?

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Apr 3rd 2007 10:28AM

EntourageNo other show that I can think of has mastered the art of the tag line quite like Entourage. Sure, you've got your 24's that have beat the "You Don't Know Jack" horse to death or your Nip/Tuck's (a personal favorite of mine) which seem to be content staying with "Tell Me What You Don't Like About Yourself" season after season, but no show seems to keep reinventing its persona every go around quite as well as Vince and the gang.

Perhaps it's a testament to HBO in general, the way they seem to re-package every new season of all their shows to the point where everything feels fresh again. Or it might just be that the creative team behind Entourage does it better than everyone else. Snappy, one-liners that just drive right to the point of each season. Plus, I remember them which actually counts for something in my book.

I'll be honest. I'm not even sure there's an argument to be made here. There really isn't another show that creates a buzz with one line in the same capacity. They're almost more like themes.

I read them and I get excited. Season one teased us with "His fame is their fortune." It's intriguing. It's fun. It makes you jealous that you can't be involved in all the dumb-ass antics and perks that come with being the best friend of a celebrity. Season two just continued that sentiment with "Fame. It's more fun with your friends."

Season three was where it got interesting if you ask me. Despite the humor the show is known for, it took on a much more serious tone. We started with "A lifestyle is a terrible thing to waste." And what did Vince do? He wasted it. He was reckless with his career and it ended up costing him two roles (Pablo Escobar, Joey Ramone) that he would have been perfect in. It's fun to keep these tag lines in the back of your head and then see where they pop up in a given season.

Now we're on to the second half of season three which premieres in a few days. "Maybe you can have it all." Hmm. Now we're back to the same intrigue of season one but it's still got that serious tone. Vince taking control back? We know he's getting a new agent.

Am I just yapping about nothing at this point? Maybe? Who knows, but you know a show is good when you can find yourself analyzing something that would generally go by unnoticed in a TV commercial or magazine ad. Entourage is doing something very right and when that's the case, everything (even the tag line) clicks.

Jeff Goebel

I realy think so Television show has given the nation more catch phrases than Saturday Night Live. Quite probably the only one that has OTHER PEOPLE sho don't even know the show saying things like;

NOT
SHWING
IN A vAN DOWN BY THE RIVER
JANE YOU IGNORANT SLUT
I'M CHEVY CHASE, AND YOU'RE NOT

and a million more.

April 04 2007 at 7:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ooda

It's still yet to be seen if it can be sustained in the second season, but I loved the tagline for Dexter...

"Takes Life, Seriously."

April 03 2007 at 7:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cameron

In season 3 part 1 he actually lost 3 roles (you forgot Aquaman for A2)

April 03 2007 at 1:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cameron

How could you not notice the taglines for 'Entourage'? They're published right on the DVD covers! I've always loved the taglines and I'm glad someone else finally noticed and published about it.

April 03 2007 at 1:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tool

I have probably watched every episode at least 5 times and I now have all 34 episodes to-date on my HD.

This is one of the best shows ever. And you're right, the show continues to reinvent itself in a deeper and more profound way.

Still, it is about fame and friendship and the journey--and Entourage has stayed true to its roots--but the show rarely fails to disappoint.

Even the "Dom" arc (S03) now are some of my favorite episodes when he first arrived, I thought the show had possibly (gasp!) jumped the shark.

I can't wait for Sunday night again. Must see TV.

April 03 2007 at 12:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
quartempty

Frankly, i've never been too impressed by The Sopranos taglines, with the exception of the "if one family...." from imdb (which, btw, has taglines for most shows):

Made in America
If one family doesn't kill him.... the other one will
Meet Tony Soprano
Family. Redefined.
Hell hath no fury like Family.
Tony's not like other fathers. Tony is a mob boss.

That said, the overall design of The Sopranos marketing has been well done. The high contrast cast portraits have become iconic, and even parodied. And this season, there are ads all over nyc of Gandolfini with the statute of liberty in the background.

April 03 2007 at 11:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elliott

NBC's Heroes looked posed to take over the pole position when it sprinted out with, "Save the cheerleader, save the world." But, I think most would agree that its promise quickly faded with, "Are you on the list?"

April 03 2007 at 11:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bgdc

Who the f^ck cares about the marketing? I've watched all 3 seasons of Entourage and never even knew they had a marketing campaign. 24 has a tag line? Honestly, how the hell would you people know this? Do you watch ads or read advertisements? That's why tech geeks made Tivo, folks.

April 03 2007 at 11:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
quartempty

I've always thought "Weeds" had some of the lamest taglines, always trying to cram those drug references into a cliche.

to wit:
Putting the Herb in Suburb.
The buzz is back.
There's no business like grow business.
A new series about *dealing* in the suburbs.

April 03 2007 at 11:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin

The last season of Entourage (or should I say 3.1) sucked ASS. The upcoming "season" is a make or break as far as I see it.

April 03 2007 at 11:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply