April 23, 2014

The five best movies based on TV shows

by Paul Goebel, posted Apr 3rd 2007 11:19AM

Kevin Costner as Elliot NessWelcome to TV Squad Lists (formerly 'The Five'), a feature where each blogger has a chance to list his or her own rundown of things in television that stand out from the rest, both good and bad.

A few days ago I wrote a piece about the 10 worst movies based on TV shows and I got quite a few responses. One reader asked if there were any good movies based on shows, so I decided to come up with another list. Please keep in mind, this is only my opinion, albeit an expert one.

1. The Untouchables: The script by David Mamet deserves much of the credit, but the casting is phenomenal, also. Sean Connery and Kevin Costner make the perfect team and Robert De Niro's plucked hairline makes his Capone a pleasure to watch. Like the show, the film pays close attention to detail and isn't afraid to show the good guys doing whatever it takes.

2. The Fugitive: This is exactly what a big screen version should be...BIG! Terrific action sequences and great locations. Ford's updated Richard Kimble does exactly what he should and Tommy Lee Jones is dead-on as the cop who has to do his job, but knows something is "hinkey." Just like the show, the movie keeps us on the edge of our seat and rooting for the good guy, while we can't wait to see the bad guy.

3. Mission Impossible: This was a pretty easy transition to make. Because of the nature of the IMF, they only had to have one character from the show in the movie. In every episode, Phelps is warned that he or his operatives may be "disavowed" and it finally happens on the big screen. I admit that making Phelps the bad guy was complete bullshit, but the action, soundtrack and early death of Emilio Estevez more than made up for it.

4. The Brady Bunch Movie: Anyone who wants to make a movie out of a campy TV comedy needs to watch this film. It retains everything we loved about the show; Mike's perm, Greg's dumb songs, The Brady 6, Davy Jones and a hot Marcia. Set against the reality of bad neighbors and horny teenagers, it all adds up to laughs.

5. Dragnet: I know I am in the minority, but I dig this movie. Hanks delivers what is probably his best comedic performance and Aykroyd's Joe Friday is awesome. This movie pays homage to the original show and makes fun of it at the same time. That's not easy to do. How can you not love lines like, "Surf's up, beach bum, but not for you. You're going downtown."

Jeff

The first Star trek movie was very much like the original television show and I agree with others the Wrath of Khan was terrific, but I would have to add Walter Matheau's Mr. Wilson in Dennis the Menace to the good list. Actually the movie was better than the original television series, and while I don't remember the young actor who portrayed Dennis, he hit it right on the money.

April 05 2007 at 12:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Big D

SOUTH PARK!

April 05 2007 at 11:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bf

"You wanna know how you do it? Here's how: they pull a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue. That's the Chicago way."

April 05 2007 at 9:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tuvoka

I like the choices you pick on 5 good movies based on some wonderful TV shows! However Star Trek should had been included.Space the Finale Frontier these are the voyages...

April 05 2007 at 9:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tom

mark...m*a*s*h the tv show was from the original m*a*sH movie....not the other way around.....

April 05 2007 at 9:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tom

when are they going to come out with a movie version of Hawaii Five-O???? i heard that was in the works but then nothing. Also, how about a big movie version of the old ABC sci-fci series "The Invaders"...that would be good, or could be good...or how about a movie version of "Gunsmoke" with someone like Tom Selleck as Matt Dillion...just a few thoughts from a person who has bought "Mission Impossible," "Hawaii Five-O," "The Wild, Wild West," and "Hogan's Heroes" tv series for my own enjoyment at home...by the way, the movie version of "Wild, Wild West" was okay with Will Smith....not great, mind you, but okay....and I agree with the thoughts of the Tom Cruise "Mission Impossible"...way to ruin a good tv show Tom.

April 05 2007 at 9:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
don bonn

the article said movies based on tv shows, so it wouldn't matter if it was a continuation...so let us not forget the jackass movie and the naked gun from the files of police squad....

April 05 2007 at 9:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark

everyone forgot M.A.S.H.

April 05 2007 at 8:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pianomn623

Ok, first off you have to disqualify The Untouchables. It wasn't based on the TV show, it was based on real life events that led up to the arrest of Al Capone. If you include The Untouchables, you'd have to consider the Spiderman and Superman movies because they made TV shows about them, even though they were based on comic books. I was surprised that Wayne's World didn't make it up there and South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut weren't up there. Both of those movies were 10 times funnier than Brady Bunch and Dragnet.

April 05 2007 at 8:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John F.C. Taylor

I saw one comment that I agree with. Mission Impossible just can not be a top five tv to movie film simply because of the Jim Phelps as a bad guy plot. No Way! Plus, where was all the teamwork that made the series such a success? The movie was just another vehicle for Tom Cruise, not the emsemble show it should have been. I was so disappointed in it that I have not seen 2 or 3 at all.

April 05 2007 at 8:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply