American Idol: Live Results Show #7

by Liz Finn-Arnold, posted Apr 4th 2007 10:33PM
Gina Glocksen says farewell(S06E27) We are slowly inching our way closer to the grand finale, which means that another finalist has to go home tonight. I know, it's sad, but this is the only way we'll get closer to crowning a new American Idol.

Tonight, the finalists are separated into three different groups of three on stage. One group is the Best Three, one is the Middle Three, and one is the Bottom Three. And looking at the breakdown, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to guess which group is which.

JORDIN, MELINDA, LaKISHA -- Are the Top 3. The divas are safe.

BLAKE, CHRIS, SANJAYA -- Are NOT the Top 3, NOT the bottom either. The cute boys are safe.

HALEY, GINA, PHIL -- Are the bottom three (as I predicted correctly for the first time since I started this job).

Who is safe and who's going home? Of course we won't find out until someone sings, trivia is asked, and corporations give some money. When we fast forward through that, we find out that Phil is sent back to safety once again. So one of the girls is going home.

Randy is surprised that Haley and Gina are in the Bottom Two. Paula thinks it gets tough at this stage, and she's not sure if America got it right. A smiling Simon, however, is not surprised.

America voted, and after almost 33 million votes, Haley IS staying. GINA leaves Idol tonight.

Okay, even though I picked her for the Bottom Three, I'm somewhat surprised that Gina is going home. I was looking forward to seeing The Glock sing with Bon Jovi, if only to see if she could really rock the house. I also think that she sounded pretty good the last two weeks, and I believed she would stick around past some of the boys. Unfortunately, she doesn't have Haley's legs, or the vocal talent of Jordin, Melinda, or LaKisha.

Ryan tells Gina that she should be SO proud of herself, and he says she's been "so much fun." And he actually sounds really sincere about it.

Gina thanks the fans, and says she'll see them on tour. And I have to say that it's very emotional watching her sing "Smile" as her farewell song. She's the first booted contestant I'm sad to see go.

But let's be honest, it's just a matter of time before Phil, Haley, and Chris follow Gina and Chris Sligh out the door. When the dust settles, Jordin, Melinda, LaKisha, Blake, and (I hate to say it) Sanjaya are going to be competing for the top spot. And I think Sanjaya may go farther than any of us originally thought. That's when the really shocking eliminations will occur. I can only imagine the outrage if Sanjaya outlasts Blake or LaKisha.

I still think one of the ladies (i.e Jordin) should win this thing. But I find it interesting that we've still got an equal number of guys and gals left in the competition. At this point, I really thought more of the guys (Chris or Phil) would have already been eliminated. But like Sanjaya, they just keep hanging on.

Other Highlights:

• Michael Buble fills in for Tony Bennett who is a no-show, having come down with the flu. Hey, maybe I have the same flu as Tony. I woke up last night with some kind of stomach bug, and I just assumed I came down with "Sanjaya poisoning". Okay, I think it was really food poisoning, but since we're blaming Sanjaya for everything that goes wrong in the universe right now, I figured I might as well blame him for my illness too.
  • I know he was a last minute substitute, but Michael Buble looked like he never sang in front of a live audience before. The buzz on the internet already is that Buble was drunk or at least appeared to be drunk. After promoting the May 1st release of his new album, Buble engaged in some awkward "hetero-banter," jokingly asking Ryan if he was wasting his time by voting for Antonella Barba.
  • The Ford commercial music video features the song "One Love," a car wash, and Kermit the Frog.
  • Idol Challenge: Which finalist was jokingly referred to as "Chicken Little?" Ryan says, "I don't come up with the questions."
  • Idol Gives Back: Allstate has also made a generous contribution, and Ryan puts out a request for additional corporate support.

Next Week: J. Lo will be coaching the contestants. Should be interesting.

For more Idol coverage, check out People.com.

And vote for your favorite finalist in AOL's poll.

Shirlee J Smith

Please America when voting remember to look at the whole package.... Voice, stage personality,ect.ect. Melinda you are the winner. It doesn't matter if your style of music is my favorite or not, You have what it takes to be the winner!

S. Smith

May 05 2007 at 12:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shirlee J Smith

Every week I read comments... What I have a hard time understanding, before comments are made, is to look at each performer, their style,stage and so on. Add up the whole package. Melinda DoLittle is absolutley the finest they have had. Jordin, 2-5 yrs from now, hands down winner. Good luck to all, Shirlee

May 05 2007 at 12:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jennifer

i wish gina all the best i miss her she was one of the good ones now onto u know who he needs to go we want the american idol not someone who forgets his lines and cant sing on key .girls rock this time. oh simon whats wrong with everyone they are not listen to u

April 11 2007 at 4:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sassyroo7

Seriously, let's face reality. Sanjaya is THE weakest singer in the competition. And, frankly, he is kicking out some acceptional people. I'm pretty positive that everyone can say that by singing alone...Sanjaya should have gone home far before the top 12. The Sanjaya fans don't like his voice. They like the joke. In a way I feel bad for him because America is making fun of him. I'm pretty positive to say that American Idol probably won't be solely the people' choice after this season.

April 11 2007 at 1:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MaryJeanne

It was truely sad when Gina was voted off. Chris Doughtery needs to invite Gina to sing a song or two with him on one of his albums. They would be great together in a band. Both of them with Rock N' Roll backgrounds, etc, but a Rocker does not portray an Idol. An Idol is someone who can do all!!!!! Gina could do all, but she has stressed her Rock N' Roll lifestyle.

April 11 2007 at 8:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MaryJeanne

Gina was great!. Chris Doughtery needs to contact her and let her do a song with him on one of his albums. Both of them genuine!!!!!!!

April 11 2007 at 8:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sjohnmassoud

I think that Tee is really upset. Maybe Haley dumped him a few years ago. Or that he has erectile dysfunction, because you really get too upset over her. Jealous are you?

April 09 2007 at 7:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sjohnmassoud

To post 314. Yes if a 39 year old guy is that hot on a 17 year old, something isn't right. And what can I say, I like Haley's voice. And if that offends you GOOD!

April 09 2007 at 7:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
polomontana

People are giving Howard Stern too much credit. This is a ratings ploy because Stern doesn't have any where near the fans on Sirius as he had on public radio. Stern wants Sirius users that watch to A.I. to listen to his show. On Sirius they have 6 million subscribers and only a portion of them listen to Stern. He used to have over 10 million listeners when he was on public radio. So Stern just has influence in the mind of the Sanjaya bashers and haters.

April 09 2007 at 3:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adriene

The Sanjaya mystique... no, I don't think he deserves to be there but we all know that there will only be one winner in the end anyway. What ticks me off is that due to America voting to keep him in, the singers who could have the opportunity to work with high profile talent are being eliminated. Get Sanj off the air and maybe we can "get on with the show."

April 06 2007 at 6:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply