American Idol: Live Results Show #7
Tonight, the finalists are separated into three different groups of three on stage. One group is the Best Three, one is the Middle Three, and one is the Bottom Three. And looking at the breakdown, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to guess which group is which.
JORDIN, MELINDA, LaKISHA -- Are the Top 3. The divas are safe.
BLAKE, CHRIS, SANJAYA -- Are NOT the Top 3, NOT the bottom either. The cute boys are safe.
HALEY, GINA, PHIL -- Are the bottom three (as I predicted correctly for the first time since I started this job).
Who is safe and who's going home? Of course we won't find out until someone sings, trivia is asked, and corporations give some money. When we fast forward through that, we find out that Phil is sent back to safety once again. So one of the girls is going home.
Randy is surprised that Haley and Gina are in the Bottom Two. Paula thinks it gets tough at this stage, and she's not sure if America got it right. A smiling Simon, however, is not surprised.
America voted, and after almost 33 million votes, Haley IS staying. GINA leaves Idol tonight.
Okay, even though I picked her for the Bottom Three, I'm somewhat surprised that Gina is going home. I was looking forward to seeing The Glock sing with Bon Jovi, if only to see if she could really rock the house. I also think that she sounded pretty good the last two weeks, and I believed she would stick around past some of the boys. Unfortunately, she doesn't have Haley's legs, or the vocal talent of Jordin, Melinda, or LaKisha.
Ryan tells Gina that she should be SO proud of herself, and he says she's been "so much fun." And he actually sounds really sincere about it.
Gina thanks the fans, and says she'll see them on tour. And I have to say that it's very emotional watching her sing "Smile" as her farewell song. She's the first booted contestant I'm sad to see go.
But let's be honest, it's just a matter of time before Phil, Haley, and Chris follow Gina and Chris Sligh out the door. When the dust settles, Jordin, Melinda, LaKisha, Blake, and (I hate to say it) Sanjaya are going to be competing for the top spot. And I think Sanjaya may go farther than any of us originally thought. That's when the really shocking eliminations will occur. I can only imagine the outrage if Sanjaya outlasts Blake or LaKisha.
I still think one of the ladies (i.e Jordin) should win this thing. But I find it interesting that we've still got an equal number of guys and gals left in the competition. At this point, I really thought more of the guys (Chris or Phil) would have already been eliminated. But like Sanjaya, they just keep hanging on.
- Michael Buble fills in for Tony Bennett who is a no-show, having come down with the flu. Hey, maybe I have the same flu as Tony. I woke up last night with some kind of stomach bug, and I just assumed I came down with "Sanjaya poisoning". Okay, I think it was really food poisoning, but since we're blaming Sanjaya for everything that goes wrong in the universe right now, I figured I might as well blame him for my illness too.
- I know he was a last minute substitute, but Michael Buble looked like he never sang in front of a live audience before. The buzz on the internet already is that Buble was drunk or at least appeared to be drunk. After promoting the May 1st release of his new album, Buble engaged in some awkward "hetero-banter," jokingly asking Ryan if he was wasting his time by voting for Antonella Barba.
- The Ford commercial music video features the song "One Love," a car wash, and Kermit the Frog.
- Today, the Idol songwriter contest was officially launched, which confuses me because I thought Ken Warwick said they probably weren't going to do the songwriting competition this year. Anyway, the winning song will be performed on this year's grand finale.
- Idol Challenge: Which finalist was jokingly referred to as "Chicken Little?" Ryan says, "I don't come up with the questions."
- Idol Gives Back: Allstate has also made a generous contribution, and Ryan puts out a request for additional corporate support.
Next Week: J. Lo will be coaching the contestants. Should be interesting.