Jordin sparkles, but J-Lo is a fanjaya

by Elizabeth Chan, posted Apr 4th 2007 2:20PM
Jordin Sparks is a better singer than SanjayaJordin Sparks and Sanjaya Malakar have a lot in common. Both are seventeen, have great hair and are fighting for the top spot on American Idol. However, the similarities end there. Jordin's last performance on American Idol makes it quite clear that this girl can run laps around Sanjaya in the talent department.

But do "Fanjordins" exist? Probably not in the way that "Fanjayas" do. Where exactly are these people? Apparently not in the Ellen audience, who resoundingly booed Sanjaya after a swift mention by the host herself. However, the widespread sentiment did not stop the one and only Jennifer Lopez in showing support for Sanjaya and explains why she respects him.

Sure, we may never see the curtains on this Sanjaya craziness, but there was at least one happy ending last night...

Bam wed his childhood friend and new wife Missy on the season finale of Bam's Unholy Union. In a traditional but unconventional exchange of vows, these two tied their unholy knot, as did several other reality couples before them on MTV last night. A sweet moment for everyone, but I have one question: Has anyone started a divorce pool on these two yet?

Ronnie Bruno

Well said Russ. If Sanjaya is so underqualified for the American Idol Title then why did all three judges send him through to top 24. That is what makes the "Sanjaya factor" seem like a ratings scheme. ALL of these kids are extremely talented and I think it is pathetic to tear any of them down to the point of calling them/him talentless. Hell the day after Haley was sent home all the headlines trashed her a using her body to get votes, which is ridiculous. Simon especially needs to not criticize the contestants attire, I thought he was always so adamant that this is a SINGING competition. Make up your mind Simon, Geez your making a fool of yourself Mr Contradiction.

April 14 2007 at 1:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elizabeth & Michael Sculli

SANJAYA must gooo!!! The remaining 7 are the more talented. Haley was good but she should have preceded Gina. Gina don't worry---I'm sure you'll go far on your own. You are very talented. MeLinda, Lakisha you'll also not have to worry about anything at this point you're both terrific. Jordin you are adorable & very talented, So comfortable on that stage---My hat goes out to you. Blake & Chris just amazing. Phil, I think you are just the greatest. You have such talent---I just need to see you showcase your talents much more. I'm sure if you bring life into all your next performances you'll give every one a run for their money!!! Good Luck to all of you. You are all very talented. Liz from Geneva

April 12 2007 at 5:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MQ

Those who don't like American Idol or its concept need not watch it, and certainly need not participate in the voting. The only way to get rid of spurious voters like the miscreants involved with Votefortheworst.com is to give at least 1/2 of the voting weight to the judges. Then those of lesser talent like Sanjaya and Haley would not remain on the show in lieu of those more deserving, ie. Gina Glocksen, Chris Sligh, etc.

April 12 2007 at 12:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Donn Parker

Sanjaya was terrific during the triouts and he's maintained himself well throughout the show. No, he isn't the most talented, but he does have star quality...which is that undefined something that attracts people to him. Today's rock fans hate him, but so what. He'll continue after the show...record and sell. He will appeal to the young and they are keeping him on now. And he's the underdog who people can love. Amnazingly,
Sanjaya will be remembered, He'll make it in the song world.

April 12 2007 at 12:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lee

Well I guess the only thing I can say is if you really want to know how bad that Idol has become go back and watch the first couple of years. For the last few years it has become somewhat of a joke as I watched week after week and people who did have talent were voted off and people like Haley/Sanjaya continued on. The blame cannot all be put on Stern or the voting public. Simon, Randy and Paula put these people through to Hollywood and let them survive the first weeks. I hope that Fox wakes up and does something to make this less of a joke in the future (too late this season). I have tuned out because I really consider the past couple of years, with rare exception, a total talentless waste of time. Show me the great cd's that Taylor Hicks, Ruben, Fantasia etc. have put out...they left the stage and pretty much disappeared to the "General Public". So for now I am an X Idol watcher and will remain so until they can bring back something interesting to watch.

April 12 2007 at 10:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
char4100

The point of the show is ratings as is the case with all TV shows. The more controversy, the more viewers. The point of the voting for Sanjaya and even Haley was to make fools of Idol fans. Now Idol producers need to either change the voting and require that only the really talented make it through to the finals, OR, lose fans who really want to be involved in the birth of a great singing career.

April 12 2007 at 7:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
char4100

Yes Sanjaya is a joke. I can't help but think that he was put through just to make others look even better than they are. What gets on TV is not truly representative of the people trying out. The first several weeks are geeks and losers. They make the show because people love to see train wrecks. It is the judges who must take responsibility for putting through Sanjaya and Haley in the first place. And then, the voting needs to be changes so that it reflects the views of America, not just sells phones for a sponsor. On person can vote thousands of times via Cingular. Getting through on the landline is next to impossible. I was able to get through 12 times during the 2 hours after the final last year.

April 12 2007 at 7:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tree

I think Sanjaya is ok. He doesn't have any right to win. So many better singers. If Jordin or Melinda don't win I'll be surprised. Someone was saying that Blake would win. He's better then he was in the start but I hope he doesn't win. The women have the men beet this year. Vocally Jordin & Melinda are at the top for me.

It is time for Sanjaya to go home. I'm just glad Haley is gone. Didn't like her. VERY BORING.

April 12 2007 at 7:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kate

Sanjaya is one of the worst singers to ever make the Top Twelve. Actually, I think he is the worst! I really wish people would stop voting for him, but I think the damage has already been done. Just in case some of the idiots out there might still change their minds: if Sanjaya wins, there will be an album and most likely a track that will hit the radio and get played all the time. STOP VOTING FOR SANJAYA! But while he's still on the show, I hope he enjoys being the laughing stock of America.

April 11 2007 at 7:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

This year on American Idol has been the strangest one yet. I have watched this since it started. It is a singing contest, not a popularity contest. My favorites on the show are Melinda and Blake. If Sanjaya wins, then alot has to be thought of on how this voting goes. I'm sure he's a nice person, but he can't sing and shouldn't be there too much longer.

April 11 2007 at 5:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply