September 20, 2014

South Park: Fantastic Easter Special

by Adam Finley, posted Apr 4th 2007 11:36PM

south park(S11E05) When this episode began, I figured eventually there would be some explanation as to why it is we color Easter eggs and why a rabbit hides them, some kind of explanation of these traditions and their pagan roots. However, by the end I was glad the story went where it did, because this was both the "worst" episode of South Park this season, and incredibly funny. I say "worst" because of all the horrible gags, like "The Hare Club for Men," and William Donahue's "double cross" that had me simultaneously cracking up and saying, "my god, that was a terrible joke."

While the episode did take a few shots at Catholics, it didn't feel too preachy, and I loved the whole Da Vinci Code angle: the idea that St. Peter was actually St. Peter Rabbit (which is why the Pope's mitre is shaped that way) and that the American Catholic League and the Vatican are trying to stop the secret from getting out. Also, was it wrong for me to laugh that hard at Jesus Christ bleeding to death from being stabbed by a Jewish kid (Kyle)? Because I laughed pretty damn hard.

I'll admit this episode didn't have the "weight" that other episodes have, but so what? It was a kind of throwback to the early days of the show when the episodes were just one insane gag after the other: from the exploding Peeps to the Latin version of "Peter Cottontail" intoned by the members of The Hare Club for Men. If nothing else, it's nice to know that Matt and Trey still know how to cut loose and make a fun episode. Sure, there was that finally message about Jesus wanting the Pope to not say anything and not tell people how to live their lives, but I think this episode is probably about as non-preachy as South Park can get.

Hippitus Hoppitus, everyone.

klm

Sorry, the movie is "Peggy Sue Got Married"

April 07 2007 at 9:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
klm

Did anybody recognize that the beginning of the ceremony with the eggs and the bell are from the Coppola movie, "When Betty Sue Got Married"?

April 07 2007 at 9:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sylvia Cortez

"So lemme see if i'm reading this right. "worst" episode, yet followed with telling us how hard you laughed and clever the gags were.

oh yeah, this was a spot-on review. in fact, it sucked so much it was the "best" ever."

I disagree. I thought "worst" was a pretty good description- I was thinking the same thing, I was laughing at those gags but thought they were too easy and obvious at the same time. I think it was really the look on Stan's face that sold the "Hare Club for Men"- like Matt & Trey knew it was a dumb joke but couldn't resist.

April 06 2007 at 3:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
belcho

I thought this was a fantastic episode. Very relevant as opposed to the previous 2, which were just plain silly, but still great.
I loved the joke about the pope's hat.
Loved the Peeps.
Loved St Peter the rabbit.
Loved Peter Cottontail in Latin.
I've already watched it twice and laughed through the whole thing.

April 05 2007 at 3:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elliott

I had totally forgotten that Krull ever existed! So that was a glave (sp?).

PS - Men in rabbit costumes have scared me ever since I watched The Shining as a child, which made my adrenaline pump out a little more than a normal ep of SP.

April 05 2007 at 11:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Haggis

Indeed my favorite part was when Jesus asked Kyle to kill him: "Dude, I'm Jewish. I have a few hangups about killing Jesus." and "Okay, but Eric Cartman must NEVER find out about this."

And the nod to KRULL was classic, especially since I had forgotten all about that movie.

The Daily Haggis - http://www.dailyhaggis.com/

April 05 2007 at 10:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BigBear

I believe the ninja star boomerang thing was THE KRULL. Nice touch.

April 05 2007 at 10:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elliott

I loved this episode. I could tell it was going to be good by the previews and it didn't disappoint. The double cross was the best! I also loved when Jesus used that ninja star boomerang thing.

Though the "moral" of the episode was summed up in a single line about the Pope not saying anything, it was enough to remind me that S Park politics really are all about freedom from any form of authority and I like that.

If I ever met someone who had never seen an episode of SP and I had to choose 3 episodes that best summed up the show, I think this would be one of them.

April 05 2007 at 9:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

Did I miss the Albino? If I didn't then it was missing, wasn't it? 'cause albino rabbit would've been great... I guess I'll have to watch the episode again and watch closer there really must've been an albino rabbit because of the whole DaVinci Code plot...

April 05 2007 at 5:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lam

I wonder if Bill Donahue is going to go ape shit and condemn Viacom, Comedy Central, Matt and Trey... wait, it's Bill Donahue, of course, he is.

April 05 2007 at 3:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply